User Avatar Image

Sierra vs. LucasArts

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 845 users

Who do you feel was the better adventure game company, and the better game company overall in their respective heydays (80s-90s)?

Which made better games?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The best Sierra game I ever played was Gabriel Knight. It's the only one I ever played all the way through.

• @hangingwithmonkeys said: The best Sierra game I ever played was Gabriel Knight. It's the only one I ever played all the way through.

Did you only bother to finish because it's better, or do you think it's better because it's the only one you bothered to finish?

• @Chyron8472 said: Did you only bother to finish because it's better, or do you think it's better because it's the only one you bothered to finish?

:D It's a lot easier than something like King's Quest . But I enjoyed it alot more than I did other titles. I've only tried about 3 titles by Sierra so far.

• IIRC, it's quite possible to die in Gabriel Knight 1 because you didn't pick something up earlier in the game.
    Can someone confirm that for me? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

EDIT: Here's the Let's Play. Every one of the Number.whatever entries is about dying, and many of them explain that you need items (or people!) to survive the game.

• @Darth Marsden said: IIRC, it's quite possible to die in Gabriel Knight 1 because you didn't pick something up earlier in the game.
    Can someone confirm that for me? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

EDIT: Here's the Let's Play. Every one of the Number.whatever entries is about dying, and many of them explain that you need items (or people!) to survive the game.

I had to play it twice the first time I played. I think, because I forgot a item that I needed later on. But I died a couple of times. Some times on purpose. :)

• Overall Lucasarts. But it's verrrrrrrry close.

LA gave me my first taste of adventure games with Day of the Tentacle, Sierra gave me my first adventure series with Space Quest when I finally got a PC of my own. LA made my favourite adventure game with Full Throttle, Sierra made my favourite adventure series with the Gabriel Knight trilogy.

• Back in the day it was Lucas Arts. now Lucas Arts just keeps going back to the Star Wars cash cow. Sooner or later that Cash Cow is going to die off though.

LA is headless, aimless, and largely pointless these days. And sadly I can see them dying off in the next couple of years and taking their IP with them.

• @Jokieman said: Back in the day it was Lucas Arts. now Lucas Arts just keeps going back to the Star Wars cash cow. Sooner or later that Cash Cow is going to die off though.

LA is headless, aimless, and largely pointless these days. And sadly I can see them dying off in the next couple of years and taking their IP with them.

This same complaint actually previously caused it to diversify. It's cyclical.

Add Comment