User Avatar Image

Test Your Vocab

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 419 users

Please test your vocab and put the results in here

4,170 for me

www.testyourvocab.com

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 28,600, which makes me certifiably dumber than Alcore, Puzzlebox, and Tope.

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

@Darth Marsden said: ...English is your second language, isn't it?

'Can you not tell' is a slightly sarcastic way of saying 'It should be obvious", or something similar.

As you know I just know 4000 words in English:( so yes English is my second language

thanks a lot for what you taught me

• @Rather Dashing said: 28,600, which makes me certifiably dumber than Alcore, Puzzlebox, and Tope.

Hey, apparently I'm dumber than most of you (No offense N7). And I'm just fine with that :p

• Knowing less words does not make you dumb. I feel really stupid compared to most of the forumites around these parts and despite knowing the meaning of words, my grammar and spelling is atrocious.

• @puzzlebox said: 32,800? I suspect that result is somewhat inflated by knowing a few of the more obscure ones (like terpsichorean, tenebrous, and funambulist).

I had the same score.

• I know most of the words I knew were because I read a lot of pretentious books. And a lot of non pretentious books that use big words. Series of Unfortunate Events played an enormous role in expanding my vocabulary, even to the point where my parents wouldn't believe me that xenial was a word when I put it down in a game of Scrabble. Had to go through about three dictionaries before I got to one that was big enough to have it in there. Even the spellcheck on this forum doesn't think that's a real word.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Rather Dashing said: 28,600, which makes me certifiably dumber than Alcore, Puzzlebox, and Tope.

The thing about words is that their primary function is communication. If the people you're trying to communicate with don't understand the words you choose, it doesn't matter how apt or impressive they might be.

I'd argue that it's far more useful to have a basic ability in a second language (or more) rather than knowing a lot of obscure words in your primary language. If you and I were to compare Spanish vocab, I'm sure we'd see how much "certifiably dumber" I am. ;)

• Agreed with Puzzlebox. Half the obscure words I know are entirely unusable in reality are really confined to the world of GRE test taking and academic writings. And academic writers really just flaunt those words to be pompous.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@puzzlebox said: The thing about words is that their primary function is communication. If the people you're trying to communicate with don't understand the words you choose, it doesn't matter how apt or impressive they might be.

This test your vocabulary thing however deals with passive as opposed to active vocabulary.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@DAISHI said: Agreed with Puzzlebox. Half the obscure words I know are entirely unusable in reality are really confined to the world of GRE test taking and academic writings. And academic writers really just flaunt those words to be pompous.

I've noticed that with academic writing and find it horribly annoying. Perhaps it's encouraged/validated by the peer review system, but I don't see that there's much to be achieved in deliberately making your work more inaccessible.

@DAISHI said: This test your vocabulary thing however deals with passive as opposed to active vocabulary.

I guess my point is that I consider it trivia.

Add Comment