User Avatar Image

Test Your Vocab

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 589 users

Please test your vocab and put the results in here

4,170 for me

www.testyourvocab.com

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 21,500 apparently. It doesn't really matter, since I look up words that I'm not sure about, and if I'm looking for a word I don't know, I use a thesaurus.

And if I may recommend an online vocabulary tester that's actually useful: Word Dynamo. That one helps you learn new words.

• 25,100 words

Not bad for a guy that never really reads! XD
    (Wait.. Do Videogames count? If so then I guess I do read alot. Not so much the big words though)

• @Haggis said: And if I may recommend an online vocabulary tester that's actually useful: Word Dynamo. That one helps you learn new words.

Hmm. Tried this, and...
    unaffected

- Blowing in sudden, strong blasts of wind.
    - Sincere; genuine.
    - In a wary manner.
    - To get the better of in a struggle or conflict; conquer; defeat.Is it just me, or do none of those potential descriptions match?

It was 'Sincere / Genuine', BTW.

EDIT: According to this one, I know 50,010 words. That sounds a little better, although there was a bit of guesswork involved, so it may not be as accurate. I'd still pick this one over Test Your Vocab though. :)

• @Darth Marsden said: It was 'Sincere / Genuine', BTW.

That does fit, actually. Just google "define unaffected", and it's the second definition. (By the way, I use Google a lot as a dictionary, using the define command, it's very useful.)

EDIT: According to this one, I know 50,010 words. That sounds a little better, although there was a bit of guesswork involved, so it may not be as accurate. I'd still pick this one over Test Your Vocab though. :)

Yes, I tend to get higher scores on Word Dynamo as well. Even if you're guessing, there's a lot of educated guesswork going on - you might recognize word stems or affixes, and base your guess on that.

• @puzzlebox said: I'd argue that it's far more useful to have a basic ability in a second language (or more) rather than knowing a lot of obscure words in your primary language. If you and I were to compare Spanish vocab, I'm sure we'd see how much "certifiably dumber" I am. ;)

So basically what you're telling me is that I shouldn't feel inferior to you, but instead should feel inferior to divisionten, who has Japanese and Chinese and I think some of at least one other foreign language in there.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

My boss speaks Slovakian and Czech as a Native, German on an almost Native level (grammatical gender correct 99% of the time, she just can't get rid of her rhotic r), great Russian, understands Polish and, how couldn't she, English to boot. That's some language proficiency...

• @FitzoliverJ said: 35,800! Take that, Shakespeare!

http://www.dispositio.net/archives/501

Holy hell. I UNDERSTOOD that. Go me!

• 25,600 for me. That was actually pretty fun :D Going to have to look up the ones I didn't know. lmao

• @Icedhope said: Hell yeah! I am dumb as hell. I shouldn't relish in this fact but I do.

Being dumb is well underrated. :)

I didn't even have the patience to finish it. Hah!

Add Comment