User Avatar Image

Help me to learn English Like a native

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Hi, I would like to learn English but in our country and in our schools they really don't teach us English! just a little about grammatical rules :( I learned a little by myself ! but still I have some problems

I just need you guys come here some times and help me to find out some of my questions about this language

thanks

186 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1) Surged. There's several meanings to the word, but in this case, it would mean that a very large group of 'them' passed through the relays very quickly.

2) I'm Flattered. If you flatter someone, you compliment them - for example, I could say that you wanting to learn more about English shows you are eager and willing to learn. That would be praise / flattery. Saying "I'm flattered" means that you accept the praise and appreciate it.

3) Principle. "It's the larger principle that matters." Hmm. Not sure.
    I'd need more context to explain this one. Can someone else help?

4) I'll Hammer Them. In this case, it would mean that they will attack with every soldier, ship and bullet they've got. When you use a hammer, you smash it against something (usually a nail) with great force. 'Hammer Them' is another way of saying Smash Them, or Attack Them.

5) Keep That Up. 'How long can we keep that up' is another way of saying 'how long can we keep doing this'.

6) Keeping Us In The Game. It's another way of saying 'buying us time'. To keep yourself in the game, you need to do things to extend the amount of time you remain in the competition, even if they aren't positive things. You simply do them to prolong the experience.

Say we have a conversation that is supposed to last 5 minutes. But you want to keep it going, so you start talking about, say, Doctor Who. Because I like Doctor Who, I will keep talking for much longer than I intended to. By bringing up Doctor Who, you 'kept yourself in the game', with the game being the current situation - in this case, the conversation.

7) Keep At It. 'Keep doing what you are currently doing'.

Mass Effect 3 is a very wordy game. You're going to be asking us for a help a lot if you're playing it!
    (Not that we mind helping you, of course. Just warning you!)

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Thanks alot it was really helpful

• A principle is generally some truth or founding thought that is the basis for other actions. An example would be some sort of rule that you use to govern your behavior, like never telling a lie.

So in the case of "larger principle that matters" you'd be referring to a commonly held founding idea that is more important than the other ideas that have been presented in the conversation.

• Note on grammar:
    @N7. said: What is mean of ...
    is incorrect.

More correct would be "What does ... mean" or "What is the meaning of ..."

The word 'mean' can be a verb (to mean), a noun (the mean) or an adjective (mean) which are used very differently and have largely varying meanings.

The word 'meaning' is the correct noun to the verb 'to mean' when referring to what a word means.

(Could any of you native speakers please be so kind and make this a bit more understandable? Because reading my post I just realised that I don't understand what I mean here ...)

• Honestly, Iryon, you did a better job that I could have. Maybe even the majority of English speakers here (not counting those who have studied the language in detail). It's often hard for native speakers to talk about grammar because we often don't think about why we use certain words or why we order them a certain way.

For N7's benefit, saying "What is the mean of..." actually means something quite different than "What is the meaning of..." We automatically assumed you meant the latter because of context. Asking the "mean of something" generally means that you wish to know the average value of that thing.

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Thanks
    Honestly I'm embarrassed to ask more questions, because some of you answering my questions very carefully and because of that It's hard for me to ask more questions

The only thing that I have is just questions and more questions
    if it's Ok I would like to ask more questions :o

• Don't be embarrassed! You won't learn if you don't ask, and we're happy to help. Ask away!

• User Avatar Image
    N7.

Now what I want know is that what's the difference between this three words ?

abhor
    abhorrence
    abhorrent

• @N7. said: Now what I want know is that what's the difference between this three words ?

abhor
    abhorrence
    abhorrent

Abhor is a verb. You can abhor something. (I abhor potatoes.)

Abhorrence is a noun. You can call something an abhorrence. (Potatoes are an abhorrence.)

Abhorrent is an adjective. You can only describe an object with the modifier as abhorrent. (That is an abhorrent potato.)

No idea why I chose those.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'd appreciate it. I feel I'm lacking something.

Add Comment