User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 138.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Iryon said: Well, there are in fact certain practices to suppress one's feelings, but I would not recommend them as the feelings don't really vanish but are still subconciously present if not properly resolved and can thus create or worsen a state of psychological unrest. That said, before suppressing one's feelings one should first learn how to resolve their feelings, by which I mean to get fully aware of them, rationalise them, recognise their sources and then confront the source and not the feeling itself. Coping with the source of the feeling can then alter or resolve the feeling - which essentially makes suppressing the feeling unnecessary.

If the above advice makes any sense to you, then I am completely surprised, because I have absolutely no psychological knowledge and just made this up after watching too many episodes of 'Ask That Guy with the Glasses', so you should probably go visit a psychiatric professional to get validated and qualified advice on your problem.

Heh. I know all about my feelings, (I'm a feely guy), its just that when you are trying to concentrate or work and then a sudden flood of feeling hits you and you don't have the focus or strength to properly channel it, thats when it gets annoying!

(Its like for example, you're working hard at work, then suddenly get hit by an almost overwhelming sadness. You know its irrational, and its going to pass, but it can't help but affect you a little (makes me look even more serious and cold, and it kind of stresses me a bit more (its nothing a bit of relaxation after work can't fix, buuut its hard to deal with when you have like 3 or 4 other things you need to focus on)))

• I shut off my feelings all the time. It lets me be a callous and guilt free bastard.

• It takes practice, and it's near impossible at first, but you can. I remember when I used to feel so lonely, and I would end up doing nothing all day but feeling sorry for myself. But now I have learned to recognise when I've that way, and I have a list of activities I can partake in, and even though I don't feel like it, I do it anyways. And it passes.

Attraction, however... Just don't focus on her, don't let yourself think about her and fantasize about her, that increases feelings and makes you hooked. Find things you can think of instead. But attraction and love, etc, are pretty pervasive feelings, and they have a way to creep into whatever you're doing. It might end up working better to just admit that you're attracted to her, you will remain attracted to her, and nothing will ever come out of it. If you keep telling yourself these things when you get attracted to her, it can become a reflex, and eventually you'll be "over" her.
    Sure, she'll still be attractive, but you won't even have to tell yourself that nothing will come out of it, and it won't get in the way of whatever you were doing anymore. It takes effort but it's possible.

If you keep doing something over and over again and get rewarded for it, you'll just want to do it more. That's how we form habits. That's how we get attached to people. If you let yourself hope that something will happen when it can't, or if you keep looking at her, and you get enjoyment from it, you'll just want to do it more and more and eventually you'll get obsessed.
    You need to treat it like an addiction, and little by little you'll get in control of it. But it won't just magically happen, and if you keep thinking about her, you're just feeding the obsession and making things worse.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Noname215 said: AC/DC - Messin’ With The Kid

Listening to that made me want to check out YouTube for more lesser known AC/DC songs.

ACϟDC - Can I Sit Next To You Girl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-Dks26h8Y

I had no idea there was another lead singer before Bon Scott. :eek: I have to say I really like Dave Evans' version of this song. I like it even better than Bon Scott's version. :cool:

• Might end up starting my horror movie marathon of October tonight, as I have a list of well over forty creep films.

• As if Europe actually managed that comeback to win the Ryder Cup! Yay!

• @Avistew said: If you keep telling yourself these things when you get attracted to her, it can become a reflex, and eventually you'll be "over" her.
    Sure, she'll still be attractive, but you won't even have to tell yourself that nothing will come out of it, and it won't get in the way of whatever you were doing anymore. It takes effort but it's possible.

And then she'll get tired of waiting and ask him out, and wreck the whole thing.

• Oh god. The spambots are learning.

• Learning what? What'd I miss?

Also, silly spambot. Nobody posts in the Fables subforum.

This discussion has been closed.