User Avatar Image

Telltale Crossed The Line

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Is there are anything TTG can do that will make you quit playing?

A lot of people said they're done after Carley was killed. We'll see. Is there anything they can do, of have done, that will have you calling it quits?

For me, if they kill Clem in episode 4 I would not buy episode 5. They would have killed off the last fuck I gave.

I would just move on after that. I wouldn't even be a little curious what happened next.

123 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Zeruis said: I was fairly certain that Clem saw Lilly pull out her gun. Clem only alerted Ben about it if you saved Doug.

Yes, I do recall that. But the moment she alerted Ben, Lilly already had the gun pointed at him... maybe she did see Lilly pulling the gun, but the adults were all arguing and she didn't know what Lilly was going to do, so she didn't say anything? Judging by everyone's reaction when she shot Doug/Carley, it appears they didn't think she was actually gonna go that far, so I guess that makes sense? ._.

• @ihateepisodethree said: That's the entire problem. You talking about the game story like it should be entirely linear.

No I'm not. I'm thinking realistically. We've already seen that Telltale have problems leaving both Carley and Doug like this, let alone Carley and Doug, and then scenarios where they are both dead. Plus it's Walking Dead, you can't save everyone.

She died in a lily mental breakdown everyone saw coming but for some reason noone could stop. Also, why does the group allow her to carry a gun after what happened? Particularly, when she wants to kill other members of the group?

I don't understand what you mean by "after what happened". She didn't have a gun after she shot Carley/Doug, and everyone needed a gun for self defence before that. Besides that, no one predicted she would go nuts and kill someone. No one, but Doug that is if he is alive.

It doesn't have to be constructed in such a way. There could be option to give her a gun to help in a fight and if you don't she dies. If you do she later uses the gun to kill carly at the RV.

But that can't be done either. Lilly is a comic book character, she HAS to live to fufill her role in the comics. You can't have her die because of that.

Yeah, both ended up dying the same way. From my perspective the choice didn't matter much at all in terms of the story. It was more to do with LEE's/players personal preference.

Isn't that the point of these types of games? Pick what YOU want to do.

If true then thats pathetic and I obviously wouldn't have bought the game knowing this.

That's your own fault though. I'd rather have that then have false promises like Mass Effect did, THAT'S pathetic right there.

• @Viser said: Hm, as far as I remember, no one saw Lilly pulling the gun, because everyone had their back turned on her (only Doug looked back at her on time to save Ben), so how would they know she was gonna shoot Carley or Ben? Only you (the player) saw it, not the game characters. Not being able to save her is completely realistic.

And that about Katjaa doesn't even make sense. How the hell would you have an option to save her if you weren't even there??

Why was she allowed to carry a gun particularly after kenny and your possible involvement in her fathers death. She also openly admits her disdain for both characters on numerous occasions. She also admits her paranoia and how she maybe losing it.

Once again why does the group allow her to carry a gun. Pretty sure she was shooting zombies before the RV left so everyone had to know she was packing.

As far as katjaa goes. Maybe if you don't talk to her about her husband being a stone cold killer and have the option of telling her husband to keep an eye on her.

Maybe they could have wrote her death in a way their was an option to save her.

Whatever. I was expecting more. I was expecting more diverging storylines based on my choices. I also found the deaths unnecessary and for the most part stupid.

• @ihateepisodethree said: As far as katjaa goes. Maybe if you don't talk to her about her husband being a stone cold killer and have the option of telling her husband to keep an eye on her.

Not everyone told Katjaa what happened when given the option and if you saved Doug in episode one you didn't have that option, so that cannot be counted as a factor in Katjaa's death, as it happens either way.

As far as Lilly carrying a gun, who do you imagine was going to take it away from her and live to talk about it?

@ihateepisodethree said: I also found the deaths unnecessary and for the most part stupid.

New to The Walking Dead universe?

• i gotta say i love the forums when clear facts are stated and people still refuse to accept them even after crystal clear proof is given..

ttg have had a tendancy to use certain terminology that is open to different understandings. the pax video clears some of them up, the story and ending are set, but how lee/clem the rest of the group gets there and who they are at the end is what the choices are about.

the whole 'the game is my first twd experience' kinda baffles me like why people watch tv shows mid season/mid episode then go on forums and complain nothing makes sense...

but i have learned quickly on here that not many people have the due dilligance to research stuff before throwing money at the screen.. they see high reviews lots of praise and buy stuff thinking it's one thing then being unpleasantly surprised when their rash purchase turns out to be something well made but not their 'cup of tea'

• @Cyreen said: Not everyone told Katjaa what happened when given the option and if you saved Doug in episode one you didn't have that option, so that cannot be counted as a factor in Katjaa's death, as it happens either way.

They chose to write it that way. They didn't have to. If they were writing a game with divergent storyline with multiple factions (something like the witcher) it would have been wrote differently.

@Cyreen said:
    As far as Lilly carrying a gun, who do you imagine was going to take it away from her and live to talk about it?

Well obviously it would depend on your relationship with her.

@Cyreen said:
    New to The Walking Dead universe?

No. Not a fan of the comics but watched the tv show. I understand the fact that people die but it's not a comic or tv show. My choices should matter. People should live or die based on my decisions. I should be able to change events.

That's the way the game was advertised thats why allegedly there was multiple dialogue options. Thats not was delivered. If I knew this was going to be your standard linear adventure fetch and tinker game then I would have stayed away.

I'm not really interested in telling people how to do their jobs. I'm not a beta tester or part of focus group either. I'm not interested in providing feedback that they can use later on to improve their products.

I just want the type of game that promised on their steam store page. Part of the problem in these episodic games is the complete product isn't out there. The first episode appeared to be exactly what was promised. Only in later episodes of the game did I realize I was getting duped.

One thing is for sure next time around I'll only buy a telltale game after it's completely out and I'll never buy a season pass from Telltale either.

Just as an FYI this is what was advertised and still being advertised:

Key Features:
    Based on Robert Kirkman’s Eisner-Award winning comic book series, The Walking Dead allows gamers to experience the true horror of the zombie apocalypse

A tailored game experience – Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode. Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.

Experience events, meet people and visit locations that foreshadow the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes

Meet Glenn before he heads to Atlanta, explore Hershel’s farm before Rick and his group of survivors arrive and before the barn becomes a notorious location in Walking Dead lore

You’ll be forced to make decisions that are not only difficult, but that will require you to make an almost immediate choice. There’s no time to ponder when the undead are pounding the door down!

Features meaningful decision-making, exploration, problem solving and a constant fight for survival in a world overrun by the undead

Artwork inspired by the original comic books

If you think telltale has delivered "meaningful decision making", "profound and lasting consequences", and "your actions and choices affect how the story plays out across the ENTIRE series"...then you are sorely mistaken.

• @ihateepisodethree said:
    If you think telltale has delivered "meaningful decision making", "profound and lasting consequences", and "your actions and choices affect how the story plays out across the ENTIRE series"...then you are sorely mistaken.

It's a storyline. No video game with a story has ever let you deviate from its railroad for longer than 15 minutes. Look at Heavy Rain and Mass Effect, no choices "matter". [Nothing remarkably changes until the very end of Heavy Rain when characters can suddenly die, and there are multiple endings. Even the most simple of games can have multiple endings - they mean nothing to the argument of choice.] The PAX video clears up a lot of the definition of "tailored", if you haven't seen it. They use the clothes metaphor: they are fitted to your dimensions, but you're not making clothes from scratch.

That said, there's a huge "branching" decision coming up in episode 4 that seems to somewhat contradict this. You're gonna have to wait for that to see how much this game can deviate from its storyline before coming back to the single ending that was promised.

So, to close on a pithy rewording: If you think telltale or any game manufacturer has the capability to deliver "branching plots", "countless choices with several subplots" and "80 gigs of optional, redundant choices"...then you are sorely mistaken. We're probably 20 years from recapturing Choose Your Own Adventures in Video Game form.

• I totally agree, but when you mentioned the Choose Your Own Adventures books I became curious. I was a huge fan of these and other play books in the 80s and wondered if I could find a plot branch. These books were fun, but they were immensly simple tailored, to be fair.

A quick google gave me The Cave Of Time. All adventures you experience outside the "main" plot in this book usually leads the reader very quickly to some kind of ending. So, even if it is a lot easier to do branching, just needing to write it down (no programming, modelling, blabla involved), they still pretty much always stuck to a very simple trackline.

Click image to enlarge.
    plotbranch.jpg

• What. The. Fuck.

That's awesome. So there's an A story and several B plots that are meant to quickly end? That's wrinkling my brain!

• @Master of Aeons said: If you think telltale or any game manufacturer has the capability to deliver "branching plots", "countless choices with several subplots" and "80 gigs of optional, redundant choices" THAT WON'T CRASH YOUR SYSTEM...then you are sorely mistaken.

Slight edit...

I realize it may seem obvious, but around here... you never know. Part of designing a successful game is to make it as user compatible as possible to the mass of potential system configurations. More choices require more programing which requires more memory. Bigger isn't always better.

Add Comment