User Avatar Image

Telltale Crossed The Line

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Is there are anything TTG can do that will make you quit playing?

A lot of people said they're done after Carley was killed. We'll see. Is there anything they can do, of have done, that will have you calling it quits?

For me, if they kill Clem in episode 4 I would not buy episode 5. They would have killed off the last fuck I gave.

I would just move on after that. I wouldn't even be a little curious what happened next.

123 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • frinky.gif

"We ah, managed to inverse the quantum emulator in the ga-hey! the positron servos and created a brand new game with countless options with no worry of space limitations because all of the coding exists in the fifth dimension where someone else has already coded it for us. The game is awesome, but ah, it seems that no one can run it on a personal computer until uh the year 3000."

• @Cyreen said: Slight edit...

I realize it may seem obvious, but around here... you never know. Part of designing a successful game is to make it as user compatible as possible to the mass of potential system configurations. More choices require more programing which requires more memory. Bigger isn't always better.

nailed it

besides if bioware/ea couldn't do it, a tiny company in comparisson sure as shit ain't gonna...

still kudos for trying ;)

i reckon if every games company worked together and colaborated a full choose your own adventure game could be made (but would probably suck)

• @Cyreen said: If they bring back Carley, I'm done.

Agreed! I would love for her to make it back purely on a fan level, but there is no way in heck I would ever support them actually doing it. It would just ring false no matter what. Heck, THEY LEFT HER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! If she was still alive, they would have noticed breathing or a pulse on her. So as much as I like Carley, I would rather her stay dead to not tarnish her memory. If they do though, I will probably throw a brick through my screen!

• @zgamer said: Agreed! I would love for her to make it back purely on a fan level, but there is no way in heck I would ever support them actually doing it. It would just ring false no matter what. Heck, THEY LEFT HER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! If she was still alive, they would have noticed breathing or a pulse on her. So as much as I like Carley, I would rather her stay dead to not tarnish her memory. If they do though, I will probably throw a brick through my screen!

check out my carley page for my fan fic

• @Milosuperspesh said: check out my carley page for my fan fic

Sweet. We also have a unique story for Carley on our RP here: http://thewalkingdeadvgrp.proboards.com/index.cgi

• @zgamer said: Agreed! I would love for her to make it back purely on a fan level, but there is no way in heck I would ever support them actually doing it. It would just ring false no matter what. Heck, THEY LEFT HER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! If she was still alive, they would have noticed breathing or a pulse on her. So as much as I like Carley, I would rather her stay dead to not tarnish her memory. If they do though, I will probably throw a brick through my screen!

To add to this, even if she did somehow live, being knocked out that long would undoubtedly leave her with brain damage.

Only in movies do people get knocked out and wake up hours later fine. It real life, with no hospital, she's be as good as dead anyway.

• @Milosuperspesh said: the whole 'the game is my first twd experience' kinda baffles me like why people watch tv shows mid season/mid episode then go on forums and complain nothing makes sense...

but i have learned quickly on here that not many people have the due dilligance to research stuff before throwing money at the screen.. they see high reviews lots of praise and buy stuff thinking it's one thing then being unpleasantly surprised when their rash purchase turns out to be something well made but not their 'cup of tea'

Since the game is my only TWD experience, I'll explain. I'm a fan of Telltale, so I was interested in their new game. Telltale has a good rep with me, I know TWD is popular, and I've liked zombie games before. Why would I research more? Good game company, popular series ... sold.

I am a bit disappointed with TWD. TWD has complex characters and situations, but then teaches people to not empathize with those characters or care about the situations by being too predictable. The formula is to introduce new people, make people care about them, and then kill them. So, after the first couple times, the audience that's left either pretends to not see the formula, or keeps playing to find out when and how people die.

Good storytelling needs to be a bit less predictable, so what defines TWD is also what hurts it.

We'll see, though. Maybe TWD isn't that predictable (I'm only going based on these 3 episodes), and maybe Telltale has a couple tricks left.

• Its better when there is a large cast. Then it is less transparent.

• Yeah, just look at the comics. A whole lot of fodder characters, or characters we don't really know until about 25 issues later.

I mean, look at Rosita.

• @Milosuperspesh said:

the whole 'the game is my first twd experience' kinda baffles me like why people watch tv shows mid season/mid episode then go on forums and complain nothing makes sense...

but i have learned quickly on here that not many people have the due dilligance to research stuff before throwing money at the screen.. they see high reviews lots of praise and buy stuff thinking it's one thing then being unpleasantly surprised when their rash purchase turns out to be something well made but not their 'cup of tea'

That's a pretty poor attitude.

I spend a fair amount to research, thanks. Certainly, more then an hour was spent reading through this stuff. That's not a snap decision by any means. Same deal for other games. Hard Rain, for example, was actually one I skipped out on. It sounded good when I first heard of it but on a closer inspection, it wasn't quite what I wanted. I got the vibe that it wouldn't be quite my thing. I watched walkthroughs instead and, yea, I'm glad I didn't buy it. I also decided against the Fable series.

There is NOTHING wrong with buying a game based on a review though. That's how most people make their choices. I go watch movies based on nothing more then a preview trailer and maybe a movie review. Some of them suck but you know what? I know they will suck before a half hour is up. I should know if I'm going to like this game before episode 1 is done. That should give me the basis to know.

You expect me to put 10 hours and more watching a tv show or buy a bunch of comic books in order to understand everything? There is a limit to due diligence. I read up on the website, checked a number of reviews, heck, I even checked out some walkthroughs on the first episode. I also put it against my experience with typical zombie fare and made a decision.

Yea, I got that people would die but what is the sense on killing everyone likable that you spent 6 hours developing? Finding out that a person you save gets killed anyway? Don't toss me that they can't handle a different character.

Carley/Doug could have just as easily gotten the broken leg here which would limit their roles in the next episode. There are ways short of outright killing the person you save. It's especially annoying because every other time you choose to save someone it turns out not to matter. The death is always predetermined.

Look, keeping Clem around is fine but, in the end, she isn't really a comrade, she is a burden. For the most part, they have done an excellent job minimizing the problems inherent in having a child dependent and she is certainly a likable character but I'd like some relationships with adults that can be reliable friends rather then a group of people I don't trust and fight with. Kenny could have been it but he was really argumentative at points and just went through such a shock that I'm leery of him. He's likely to snap like Lilly did. Also, is this a game that is only suppost to cater to hard core fans of the Walking Dead that like buckets and buckets of painful deaths?

Even if I did go that far to find out that this is supposedly a game for a particular niche, there is no possible way that the cast the series could possibly be as small as this game is. If I had known too much about the plot the story would have been ruined. The first chapter was good. Second chapter was a bit grim but still okay. You have to get to episode 3 before you find out how bad it REALLY gets and then I hear that they want it to get worse for the final two.

I'm very much NOT used to thinking of every person as a disposable victim when so much time has been put into developing the character. Especially not if they are likable characters that the readers emphasize with. It doesn't make sense to me to kill them off at this point. This isn't some sweeping opera of a game. It's a 10 hours long with a focus on narrative.

Why make a narrative based game only to kill all the people in it early on? As games go, this one is exceptional in it's willingness to kill off major characters. I really have no experience with this level of death. There is no reasonable way to expect it.

PS. The reason why it's acceptable to have an option to kill Lilly is that just because the game "might" become cannon (I'm told Lilly has a novel that also does her origin), that doesn't mean every choice is cannon. In fact, almost all choices will be non cannon, even simple choices like the responses you give, give details about what the cannon Lee is like. So killing Lilly is a non cannon choice and if the game actually got incorporated into the official backstory, that choice would simply have not been picked for it.

Add Comment