User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: How can you get through 13 iterations of the Enterprise in 40 years?"

The NCC-1701 series' captains have the tendency to draw a lot of enemy fire, trigger the self destruct mechanism at least three times per Season and the really mean ones show an affliction towards landing their vessel planetside without any chance of recovering it. :cool:

• @Vainamoinen said: The NCC-1701 series' captains have the tendency to draw a lot of enemy fire, trigger the self destruct mechanism at least three times per Season and the really mean ones show an affliction towards landing their vessel planetside without any chance of recovering it. :cool:

It's ridiculous.

That's like suggesting that a starship would answer a distress call on its maiden voyage without medical staff, a tractor beam or torp...no, that actually happened. Or that a single starship would try to go toe to toe against four Romulan Warbir...no that also happened. Or that a starship, on its maiden voyage, would encounter an omnipotent being who condemns the crew and their home planet as savages...wait, was I going somewhere with this?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

"Blow up the Enterprise" Tuesday or "Christen a new Enterprise" Tuesday?

Because I think Captain Kirk is dead. Shot in the back before the test viewers protested. :eek:

And because this is obviously a completely bogus post and we're off topic anyway, I also propose that during Mission Farpoint Commander Riker should have snafu'd the reattachment of the Enterprise's saucer section, resulting in a big explosion and a dire need for another ship immediately after the pilot. I mean, THAT'S how you kick off a series.

Now make me a script writer, because I can obviously do miles better than those of Gods and Men guys.

• @Vainamoinen said: Because I think Captain Kirk is dead. Shot in the back

"What kind of a future do you call that?!"

@Vainamoinen said: I also propose that during Mission Farpoint Commander Riker should have snafu'd the reattachment of the Enterprise's saucer section, resulting in a big explosion and a dire need for another ship immediately after the pilot.

nah. No need for a new ship when the explosion causes a temporal causality loop which keeps the events repeating endlessly until Riker can dock the ship properly.

• Just throwing this out there.

On the coattails of a failed IndieGoGo campaign, I am now the proud owner of the "Greatest Film Of All Time" on DVD. In all it's personalised, signed, doodled glory.

IMAG0094.jpg

They threw in the postcard too.

• Gah, enough Star Trek. Let's talk about another Old-School RPG, this time from Brenda Brathwaite (Wizardry, Dungeons & Dragons) and Tom Hall (Commander Keen, Doom and Mother-Fucking ANACHRONOX). Oh, and some guy called John Romero. No, I've never heard of him either, but he's got a ponytail, so he must be cool.

8aeabb6fc436a832f83af42a37e97b5b_large.j

...just when I think they can't possibly tempt me with another Kickstarter project, they fucking tempt me with another Kickstarter project. Those sneaky sons of bitches.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Oh HALL. So why not Anachronox and new school?!

All right, I get the answer to question number one: He doesn't have the rights. I've got my injection of the traditional with Grimrock; and that was the last RPG in which I accepted no narrative to speak of. I was a traditional RPG man these 20 years ago, I swear. Dungeon Master, Ambermoon, Bard's Tale, Darkmere, Hero Quest (in as much as that counts), Hired Guns, Robinson's Requiem, I've been there. But a lot of the developments since then were for the better. I am interested in the personal, the psychological of the RPG, not the mathematical.

I'll watch this project closely though. If they confirm that it will be DRM-free and accept PayPal backings as soon as the initial goal is reached, I might back this just for the heck of it.

Still, they want A MILLION DOLLARS first. :eek:

• Project Eternity now has a Paypal setup. Check their website.

• As of the latest update, Old School RPG will be DRM-Free. Expect it to be on file-sharing sites the day it's released.

No word on Paypal yet, but I guess they'll try and set that up if the project hits its target.

Add Comment