User Avatar Image

Telltale Crossed The Line

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 714 users

Is there are anything TTG can do that will make you quit playing?

A lot of people said they're done after Carley was killed. We'll see. Is there anything they can do, of have done, that will have you calling it quits?

For me, if they kill Clem in episode 4 I would not buy episode 5. They would have killed off the last fuck I gave.

I would just move on after that. I wouldn't even be a little curious what happened next.

123 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ah God... do we have to make a decision revolving Clementine, but either decision is shitty in a different way?

• The story is decent. I just don't think it fits with gameplay of a choice given game. Thats the rub for me.

In episode three I kind of felt a couple of things were forced. Lily and I were BFF's (I played both sides of kenny and Lily uptil her dad dying). So when she snapped it was kind of out of character for my canon playthrough.

In another play-through, where we were enemies it was completely in line in her charcter. She was broken and had noone in the group she could talk to or trust. You could see the cracks forming.

katjaa is a lesser extent the same thing. She displayed a strength that kenny could not throughout episode 1& 2. She remained calm cool and collected under the toughest scenarios (gun to her head, running out of food, fixing up injuries) even when her son was dying she was calm.

Now some people have mentioned it may have been a front and she may have been putting on a brave face for the good of the group. I don't know to me there was no signs she was capable of killing herself. It just seemed a little forced considering my interactions with Katjaa.

Which is one of issues I have. You would think over the span of how many months we have spent in a group my interactions would have some bearing on her decision making process. But nope it's bullet to the head either way.

Both deaths were preventable in my book. I would have liked my interactions with both characters to have made some sort of impact on the events that unfolded.

• Okay, Lee's interactions with Lilly had absolutely nothing to do with her snapping and killing someone. As we all know, she cared only about protecting the group her own way (by staying at the motel instead of leaving, for example), and she honestly thought she was protecting the group by killing the traitor, and she was pretty sure about who it was as well(even if she was mistaken if you saved Carley), so that was completely not out of character.

About Katjaa's death, remember when she says she loves Duck more than life itself? That's all.

• @ihateepisodethree said: Which is one of issues I have. You would think over the span of how many months we have spent in a group my interactions would have some bearing on her decision making process. But nope it's bullet to the head either way.

Who the hell are you/Lee in relation to Katjaa and her dying child, especially in comparison to her husband?

• @Cyreen said: Who the hell are you/Lee in relation to Katjaa and her dying child, especially in comparison to her husband?

Probably her best friend?

But that wasn't the point. I would like to think our conversations and time together as friends made some impact along the way on the decisions she made.

I guess not. Lily was going to blow away Carly and Katjaa was going to bow out regardless of what was said. Should have just called her a fat cow the entire game for the difference it would make.

• @ihateepisodethree said: Probably her best friend?

I would think the honour of best friend belongs to her husband. As her friend, she does thank Lee/you. Whether you agree with her choice or not, it was her's as a mother to make.

• in ep1 katjaa tells lee upon meeting him and clem the world has changed for the worse and she hoped it would get sorted out "going back to our lives"

duck dying/turning proved to her the world isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.. in other words she lost all hope and kenny was loosing it before duck..

so she took the only option left to her.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@ihateepisodethree said: The Witcher is made by CD Projekt RED not bioware.

I doubt they are much bigger then Telltale (probably alot smaller). The difference is they focus on quality not quantity.

You are sorely mistaken. CD Project is more than three times as big as Telltale Games (TTG has just passed the 100 employee threshold, while CDP has been above 300 for a while/ as of 2008). CDP made more than 40 million $ in 2007 alone, and I assure you that in Poland, they can get far more workforce for that money than Telltale in the US. In 2007, Telltale would have killed to be anywhere in the vicinity of making millions. CD Project published The Witcher ... Telltale Games published CSI: Hard Evidence. See where this is going? ;)

• @ihateepisodethree said: Probably her best friend?

But that wasn't the point. I would like to think our conversations and time together as friends made some impact along the way on the decisions she made.

I guess not. Lily was going to blow away Carly and Katjaa was going to bow out regardless of what was said. Should have just called her a fat cow the entire game for the difference it would make.

So, to use a real world analog, you have a dog. You feed it at the right time and play with it. Its name, you decided, is Frisky. After owning him for five weeks, Frisky is hit by a car and killed. Does that immediately make you question the worth of loving him?

No, or I at least hope not. The decisions in the game are arbitrary because there is never supposed to be a right answer or "optimal" playthrough. If you kick everyone who gets near you, you'll have the same story as if you loved everyone and cursed the gods when they were taken too soon. I'd like a game with more deviating plotlines too, but I'd never try to take back a choice because it didn't change the universe. Pet the dog or kick it - he always dies eventually.

• @IndigoHawk said:
    Episode 3 broke much of the fourth wall by revealing the narrative design. By the end of Episode 3, players have the decision to either act dumb and continue suspending disbelief, or admit that they are playing because they like watching people die. Episode 4 could address the relationship with the player and find a way to reel people back in and rebuild some trust. If instead the game continues as before, then it's a game for players who like watching people die and not much else.

Well said. I happen to agree the most with the bold bit.

@IndigoHawk said: frinky.gif

"We ah, managed to inverse the quantum emulator in the ga-hey! the positron servos and created a brand new game with countless options with no worry of space limitations because all of the coding exists in the fifth dimension where someone else has already coded it for us. The game is awesome, but ah, it seems that no one can run it on a personal computer until uh the year 3000."

LOL

Add Comment