User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 20.7K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Moonrise Kingdom 9/10

This is a wonderful movie. On the psychological level, it manages to explore feelings of love between two far too young kids without being awkward for the grownup viewer; and it achieves a meta-dialogue between two 'outsiders' that doesn't feel utterly stilted. Hayward and Gilman always appear vulnerable, but never overact. It FEELS like two kids trying to appear grown up. It FEELS like their emotion is just cracking through, flickering over their inexpressive faces. Kara Hayward does an exceptionally good job at this, because she can give you a frighteningly stone cold femme fatale to be nothing ever gets to me look that most women thankfully are not able to completely reproduce once they're out of puberty.

Interestingly, the two main characters seem so determined, so resolute in their decisions most of the time that emotional outbreaks naturally belong to the grownup characters. If these kids crack and riot, it's either in a flashback montage or off screen (seriously). I'll have to watch the movie again to evaluate what this does to perceiving the characters.

The undeniable element of exaggeration and the grotesque, which normally bugs me in movies, aims to set nuances without disturbing the whole picture. That kid should not have a motorcycle, that tree house is too high, this scout too perfect, this animal's death a bit too much bad luck, that leap too digitally heroic and that weather incident too staged. The only exaggeration I could not let the movie get away with was a psychological one (when an entire group of characters, without a special reason, turned 180° in their opinion).

The appliance of classical music is shameless and of course successful. Any movie that opens with Benjamin Britten's "The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" should get an Oscar by default. The score risks being intrusive most of the time - and surprisingly isn't. I'm considering to buy the soundtrack as well. I knew nothing about Alexandre Desplat before - possibly because everything Twilight usually is completely out of my field of view - but I bow to the man. I bow to the man.

Bill Murray and Edward Norton feel typecast, still they are great in their roles. I wish they had given old Bill more closure for his character, but alas, he's not a main character. Bruce Willis could not be less typecast. He may be a police officer yet again, but damn is he a depressing specimen of the trade. Swinton is too stereotypical to be really memorable (but that is the role, certainly not the actress) and McDormand once again manages to surprise me with her versatility (although neither role nor screen time are really impressive).

Two thumbs up for a thoroughly enjoyable movie. Buy the DVD, because the Blu Ray's picture quality unfortunately isn't in any way visibly better.

• Looper

With most films these days you see the trailers and get a fair idea what the whole film will be like from that collection of small snippets. I had seen the trailer for Looper a couple of times before I saw a film and I have to say the trailer undersells the film. There's much more to the film than the action with a bit of time travel chucked in for good measure. It has a story that develops well and isn't too difficult to follow in just one viewing (with any story involving any amount of time travel, making it understandable in one pass is an achievement).

You do have to believe the film's rules of time travel, but that should be a given when dealing with this type of film. It gives a realistic portrait of a future, which is typically dystopian but not overly so. One actor in the film stands above the rest with their performance. I'm not going to say who, if you've seen the film you should be able to guess who I'm talking about.

It's hard describing the film without going through the plot and I don't want to spoil it for anyone so what I've done here will have to do. Don't get me wrong, it's not flawless but the faults that can be found don't detract too much from the experience. It's worth a watch at least once.

Score: 8/10

• @corruptbiggins said: One actor in the film stands above the rest with their performance. I'm not going to say who, if you've seen the film you should be able to guess who I'm talking about.

its Jeff Daniels, right? That's what all the critics are saying. I really want to see this. Brick was awesome. Anybody check out The Master yet?

• Marvel's The Avengers - 9/10

Hulk is the best character.

• @Chyron8472 said: Marvel's The Avengers - 9/10

Hulk is the best character.

He really is. The comics are pretty fantastic too. Provided you skip everything that has Jarella in it.

• I got Masters Of The Universe on blu-ray as a gift from my wife. I would give it a 6 out of 10... but frankly, I forgot how damn good Frank Langella was as Skeletor, so I'm giving it a 7/10. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

A movie in which James Tolkan plays a hard ass cop and the movie poster to which was painted by Drew Struzan can't be REALLY bad.

I know, I know, Masters of the Universe makes an impressive attempt at being bad nonetheless. ;)

• I caught most of The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble as it's incorrectly called in the UK). Still awesome! Especially on Blu-Ray seen through my Dad's new 40-inch HDTV. Glorious. 8/10.

Also caught a bit of John Carter. That... wasn't so great. Far too silly a premise played far to straight to take even remotely serious. And why the fuck would the writers name a city after a gas? 5/10.

• @Vainamoinen said:
    I know, I know, Masters of the Universe makes an impressive attempt at being bad nonetheless. ;)

I really loved all the "Eternia" stuff... it's just them going to earth that was a little tiresome. And yes, James Tolkan is always awesome!

Add Comment