User Avatar Image

Aggressive TWD comments on TTG blog in entries for entirely different franchises

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users

Let me just say something first. I love The Walking Dead so far. I think it's the best thing Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse, and I'm not complaining about the game itself in any way.

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? Fine. I admit Telltale needs to communicate stuff like this better myself. But it seems like that's all that's ever discussed anymore. It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

But what really gets me is how the blog posts about the Sam and Max/Monkey Island sales got flooded with comments going "Don't care, where's the next Walking Dead episode?" Maybe it's just because I love Sam and Max and Monkey Island, but that kind of stuff just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, let's be fair, everyone's new at first. You don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of Telltale's library to be here (though it helps ;) ). And no, you don't have to care about those games. But keep it to yourself, especially if you're going to use it as an excuse to segue into something completely irrelevant. What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get this off my chest.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Agent Piltdown said: [...]Telltale haven't really taken any assertive steps in communicating with the different groups of people waiting on them for information either throughout all this and things seem to have escalated with each release with the hostile comments. People are plainly frustrated and the more irritable voice their complaints in a more confrontational way as time goes on.

If Telltale really cared about keeping this forum a more happy enviroment they'd try a different approach but that hasn't happened as far as I've seen. Others have saw fit to make excuses for them but as far as I see it, it wouldn't harm them that much to step in more often and address peoples bigger complaints head on and get the word out better to what's going on behind the scenes, especially European Ps3 customer.

It's a broad statement which I'd rather address elsewhere as well, but here we go.

First, we have to distinguish between valid and invalid complaints. For the sake of brevity, here's what I consider very valid complaints at this time:

[LIST]
    [*]Bugs in the game, especially the corrupt save games.
    [*]Problems with broken/restarting downloads
    [*]Activation issues due to the game's unwanted server communication
    [*]lack of communication and lack of dedication concerning above issues
    [/LIST]

Opposed to this, the following things I consider invalid:

[LIST]
    [*]Release takes longer than originally advertised (issue was addressed and can't be helped; prospect is that the last two episodes will be almost monthly, just like previous games)
    [*]This or that platform comes first/ PSN EU lags too far behind (we're talking days here, and I admit that I find these 'complaints' to be infantile inasmuch as Telltale, with TWD Series, has taken impressive steps towards simultaneous international releases as compared to every single previous game)
    [*]lack of communication and lack of dedication concerning above issues (most of the above problems were either already explained once and for all or concern internal processes which community members just are not privy to; and I think we have already seen the dedication to get the situation halfway under control. "Behind the scenes" is "behind the scenes" for a reason. No other game developer would EVER talk in detail about problems with validation processes and the like and Telltale would be most unprofessional if they just started with it)
    [/LIST]

To get this thread back on track, I will add that I see ye olde fanbase commenting far less on the latter "issues". They understand what episodic releases mean, and they've experienced two to six of Telltale's games "live" before, so they're far more patient in these respects. They're waving the delays off because they don't really see a problem, and they're having trouble seeing the louder complainers as anything but bothersome. So when those old fanbase members head to the blog and see a Sam & Max entry spammed with such exaggerated impatience, they justly get irate. But they also blame the TWD franchise for it or generalize TWD fans as a mob, and that is quite an unjust assumption.

• The more popular something is, the more attention it will attract. Both good and bad, and while I haven't read the blog comments I'm sure I would agree with you. I also understand the need to vent, as I just did about something in-game.

But complaining about complaining is usually counter-productive.

• @Gman5852 said: To be completely fair, Mass Effect's DLC issue was that of the fact a character that was crucial to a sidestory that has been developing since the first game(that of the lost prothean race), was cut out as DLC and was set aside as launch day DLC to make matters worse(and the ending)

and Skyrim's issue is that the DLC is terrible, and the last one has literally been a mod for months now.

Yep, Goldrock, how does the fact that fans have come in at ME or DA discredit their opinion of the endings? I know many people that have been with BioWare since Baldur's Gate and they hate the ending all the same. After all, it is actually objectively bad according to the conventions of narrative story-telling.

But that might be because many people think the "real" ending is yet to come.

I digress, back on topic.

• [QUOTE=Vainamoinen;687631]To get this thread back on track, I will add that I see ye olde fanbase commenting far less on the latter "issues". They understand what episodic releases mean, and they've experienced two to six of Telltale's games "live" before, so they're far more patient in these respects. They're waving the delays off because they don't really see a problem, and they're having trouble seeing the louder complainers as anything but bothersome./QUOTE]

For me, I tend to wave off any delays because there are very few companies doing what Telltale is trying to do and I think complaining, whining and screaming at them all serve to undermine what the company's trying to accomplish. All it does is stress TT's employees out -- it doesn't speed up the design process. The adventure game genre has been dying for years, and TT has been putting out some great stuff to keep it alive. Yeah, there have been bugs and delays, but nothing deserving the sort of profane BS I've seen thrown at a small, arguably fringe company that really does try to incorporate fan feedback into their games.

But you're right: There are both valid and invalid complaints to be made. The sad part is that most of the ones I've been seeing are invalid. Some gamers really do have a sense of entitlement. I haven't played ME3 yet, but the whole debacle surrounding the ending definitely hasn't helped reduce that sense of entitlement.

• @Vainamoinen said: It's a broad statement which I'd rather address elsewhere as well, but here we go.

First, we have to distinguish between valid and invalid complaints.

[LIST]
    [*]Bugs in the game, especially the corrupt save games.
    [/LIST]

Opposed to this, the following things I consider invalid:

[LIST]
    [*]lack of communication and lack of dedication concerning above issues (most of the above problems were either already explained once and for all or concern internal processes which community members just are not privy to; and I think we have already seen the dedication to get the situation halfway under control. "Behind the scenes" is "behind the scenes" for a reason. No other game developer would EVER talk in detail about problems with validation processes and the like and Telltale would be most unprofessional if they just started with it)
    [/LIST]

lol, more excuses. I was avoiding calling you out by name out of courtesy but I guess you couldn't help yourself. No, I'm pretty sure we won't see eye to eye on this then. And it's ironic that I lost my saves with the corruption problems on Episode 2, yet trusted them to address it. But to me getting the facts of the situation regarding the games release in Europe were more important to me. And I don't care what your opinion of me is because of that.

You're frustrated dealing with the problem yourself on this forum section, I get it, I've been there myself. You'd go a long way in addressing it come Episode 4's release by having a temporary dedicated sticky for Ps3 EU owners to check into for when the game might be released. A more mature discussion related to the delay may be unlikely, but at least it might do a better job of keeping it in one place as opposed to Sam and Max blog posts. Or you can continue on your current course and let things carry on as they have because you consider the complaining invalid. (La-la-la-la) It's entirely up to you!

• I don't get why you try to bash someones face in, who is entirely on your side?!

You are also misquoting and generally not doing yourself a favour here, as it makes you look like an idiot (pardon for the french).

• @8Bit_System said: I don't get why you try to bash someones face in, who is entirely on your side?!

You are also misquoting and generally not doing yourself a favour here, as it makes you look like an idiot (pardon for the french).

Side? He's not on my side, and there's no need to break out the worlds smallest violin for me. I'm just offering my critique of the situation to Vainamoinen after he quoted me and I'm not playing to an audience. I'm responding to him directly and considering he called my complaints infantile I'm not being over the top and hostile.

Hmm, maybe it was bad manners to truncate his post though but I did only address those two main points briefly. I figure he'll understand what I had to say but won't agree with it. And he's not obliged to, same way I'm not obliged to agree with him.

Call me whatever you want, I don't mind! If it makes you feel better go for it. I've said my piece and will be quite now.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

No, I actually do not know what you are talking about for 80% of your post.

• Then I guess I wasted my time. No big deal! Laters.

• My 2 cents: This always seems to happen. During the release of the BttF series, the forums were loaded with unhappy people. Same with Monkey Island; before that I can't say but I'm sure it was the same. People (usually new members with 0-10 posts) will always come here and cry rivers and make pointless comments and grand accusations at the TTG staff and other forum posters etc.

These people really aren't really "community" though. Which isn't to say that new members can't come and voice concerns and comments. It's just that most of the time the whiners get the information they came to get and then start spreading misery over their supposed injustices, and then making demands and ultimatums and eventually leave.

I think it's all good though, people need a place to vent and give criticisms.

This discussion has been closed.