User Avatar Image

Aggressive TWD comments on TTG blog in entries for entirely different franchises

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Let me just say something first. I love The Walking Dead so far. I think it's the best thing Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse, and I'm not complaining about the game itself in any way.

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? Fine. I admit Telltale needs to communicate stuff like this better myself. But it seems like that's all that's ever discussed anymore. It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

But what really gets me is how the blog posts about the Sam and Max/Monkey Island sales got flooded with comments going "Don't care, where's the next Walking Dead episode?" Maybe it's just because I love Sam and Max and Monkey Island, but that kind of stuff just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, let's be fair, everyone's new at first. You don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of Telltale's library to be here (though it helps ;) ). And no, you don't have to care about those games. But keep it to yourself, especially if you're going to use it as an excuse to segue into something completely irrelevant. What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get this off my chest.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Threats of violence, however joking, aren't ok on the forums. Those involved have been given a short ban period.

• @Vainamoinen said: The fanboy argumentation wasn't as inherently popular as you hoped, eh?

Didn't realize people would be so thin-skinned as to take offense to it. Fanatic, fan-boy, doesn't really change the point... you love TTG then you want every fan possible (even if it does shit up the community) so that TTG makes more money and makes more games. Unless talking on a forum is more important than the games themselves.

• fact of the matter is every game has there own fanbase .

• I don't think that the games are actually delayed by months, just a couple of weeks. Like Ep 4 is due out in October, right? That means that TTG has 'til October 31 to get it out. From past performances, I expect to get the game closer to November 10-15. That's only a week or two (-/+ a couple of days). I wonder if anyone would still be complaining if TTG said "It'll be out Oct. 31" and it was released November 3? A few days don't matter overall. We pre-ordered the entire season + the big pack of games. I'm not mad about a few days' delay.
    Too, I hope that it's a minority of people that are "shitting up the fanbase". I had never heard about TTG until they started advertising for TWD game. But I've been pleased with their other games as well as the community surrounding them. :P

• @Desmodus87 said: I don't think that the games are actually delayed by months, just a couple of weeks. Like Ep 4 is due out in October, right? That means that TTG has 'til October 31 to get it out. From past performances, I expect to get the game closer to November 10-15. That's only a week or two (-/+ a couple of days). I wonder if anyone would still be complaining if TTG said "It'll be out Oct. 31" and it was released November 3? A few days don't matter overall. We pre-ordered the entire season + the big pack of games. I'm not mad about a few days' delay.
    Too, I hope that it's a minority of people that are "shitting up the fanbase". I had never heard about TTG until they started advertising for TWD game. But I've been pleased with their other games as well as the community surrounding them. :P

when i bought the game on July 6 it was advertised as monthly releases, two episodes were already out, so by that schedule which i purchased the game on, i should just have or be only waiting a short time for episode 5, so episode 4 was due September not October

• The rage seems to be centered on people with little patience for anything and nothing to do but sit on the forums or wait for the game. I know it will come out and they seem to be fairly consistent with every other month. I also learned that they are a small company that is not rich and doesn't have the power that a AAA title company does. If the game was canceled it would be different but at the moment I think the rage is unfounded and people should occupy themselves with something.

• If it's any consolation, I don't do that myself.I am new and only interested in The Walking Dead, but I don't do that. The only thing that annoys me are the release dates. I actually thought they had already fully made the game, it's obivous they are making it episode by episode. So I can understand why some people are doing what you are complaining about. At the same time I agree that it's not acceptable.

• @Alex1939 said: What a fantastic community stating they want to shoot me in the face! Gosh, I will be so sorry to miss out on this wonderful telltale community. :rolleyes:

Considering my first experience with you was you telling me that I had an attitude problem because I said something that you didn't completely agree with, I really won't miss you too much, either. Let's not pretend that you wandered onto the forums, posted something totally innocent and were attacked, and let's also not pretend that any of those death threats -- though not cool -- were serious.

@Alex1939 said: But I'm glad some people get it. The concept isn't hard. If something is promised and not delivered some people are actually annoyed by it. Myself, I enjoy the game but will be hesitant to buy future TTG products, especially if I can wait until they are all actually released and get a discount rather than be disappointed by countless delays and false advertising.

I take this message as an implication that Telltale intentionally misled consumers to believe this was a monthly release. Anyone with any experience with Telltale knows that they're not that sort of company. If they said they had planned to do monthly releases, I take that to mean that was their initial plan and that life -- unanticipated bugs, executive decisions, things that are completely beyond the designers' control -- got in the way of that. I'll be the first to admit that TT's communication skills, though improving, are pretty poor, but repeatedly bringing up that the game is taking longer than it was initially advertised accomplishes exactly nothing, and the claims of "false advertising" and "Telltale misled me" are borderline hysterical.

This discussion has been closed.