User Avatar Image

“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

posted by ZombieGoBoom on - last edited - Viewed by 6.1K users

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Carley..."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

tbc

142 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Really neat story-line...any chance you could make one for Doug? :3
    I really liked Doug :3
    Pwetty pwese :3

• This is an awesome story! xD it makes me want more :B, oh the tensed suspension. great job on this!

..don't do it Lilly D:

• Just a quick note. I’m appreciating all the feedback and even some requests that I am getting. As much as the ‘We’re Alive’ crew could really use Doug’s technical know-how I just don’t have the desire to start another story focusing on him. I’m sorry.

For Carley’s story, I am planning a few more chapters before wrapping this up. I do have an ending in mind and it will be a happy one… sort of. No rainbows or unicorns, just something as close as you can get to with the world being swarmed by zombies.

Chapter Five: Crossfire

Burt wasn’t having any of this and made it known to everyone else, especially Michael. “Trying to follow those tracks through the woods would mean abandoning the humvee. I hope that’s not what you are suggesting?”

“No, I’m not,” Michael replied calmly. “Saul and I will go and you and Carley will stay with the humvee. We’ll keep in radio contact and just see where the tracks go.”

“I agree with Burt on this one,” Carley spoke up. Michael and Saul were too valuable to risk. “Following those tracks might be a bad idea and we shouldn’t split up.”

“We could try broadcasting on every channel and see if anyone answers,” Saul suggested. “If any groups of survivors are around, they should have a radio going and listening for anyone over the airwaves.”

Carley nodded in agreement. “Let’s at least try that first.”

It sounded like a good idea to Michael but it would be tipping their hand to any hostiles that they were here. This rescue mission for the helicopter crew just got way more complicated that he would like. Then he saw Burt tense up.

“We’ve got company.” The former marine warned aloud, pointing past Michael’s shoulder.

Michael turned and saw three people standing on a hill top just a little over two hundred yards away. One of them was holding a white cloth high up in the air. Michael reached for a side pouch on his vest and pulled out a small pair of binoculars. Bringing the field glasses to his eyes, he saw it was two men and a woman. The one standing in the middle holding the white cloth also had a hunting rifle slung across his shoulder.

“What do we have?” Saul asked.

“I think they want to talk.” Michael said, putting his binoculars back in its pouch.

“And I suppose you’re going over there to chat,” Burt commented. “If that’s the cause I’m going with you to watch your back.”

Michael looked at the old marine. “I’m touched but it’s a good idea.” Then he turned to the rest of the group. “Saul, stay here with the humvee and cover us with your rifle.”

“You got it,” Saul said. “Just be careful.”

Michael glanced at their newest member. “Carley, stick to Saul and watch our flanks, just in case they try to have someone sneak behind our position.”

“I will and the same from me, be careful you two.” She told them.

“I think they’re trying to jinx us, Michael.” Burt laughed slightly at everyone‘s concern. “Let’s go see what they want.”

Saul and Carley headed back to the humvee as Michael and Burt started walking towards the three newcomers. As they approached, the newcomers started moving towards Michael and Burt to meet them halfway.

Halfway there, Michael and Burt stepped over an old fallen tree, apparently knocked over by strong winds years before, ripping the roots right out of the ground.

“Would I be overdoing it by saying I have a bad feeling about this?” Burt said under his breath as they drew closer to the newcomers.

“I get that feeling too Burt, but it’s worth taking the risk if we make friendly contact with other survivors,” Michael replied softly. “We could setup some trade for items like machine parts or food. Let’s hear what they have to say but be ready.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice.” The old former marine muttered quietly as they finally came face to face with the three new arrivals, stopping within several feet of each other.

There was a brief moment of silence as the two sides stared at one another. Michael took a good look at them. The one holding the white cloth and carrying the rifle was still in the middle of the group and stood average in height and appeared to be in his late thirties. The man relaxed a little, lowering the cloth to smile. To his left was a slightly younger man, about the same height and was smiling nervously. To the right was a shorter brunette woman, maybe in her mid twenties and was watching Michael and Burt with a guarded emotionless expression. She would make a good poker player.

The rifle was the only weapon Michael could see but he was sure they carried other weapons concealed under their coats.

Burt had Shirley, his Desert Eagle gun holstered but Michael held his M4 rifle close to his chest with the barrel pointed down and the safety on.

The one in the middle spoke first. His voice sounded relaxed. “I see you came to inspect the helicopter crash. We found the pilot and the crew alive and in good shape and they were taken back to Woodbury.”

Michael nodded and watched their body language closely as he spoke to them. “We picked up their distress call and we came to help. We’re happy that they’re safe.”

“You could meet them if you like.” The man replied. “My name is Terry and this Ron and Lilly.”

The soldier and former marine shared a quick glance of surprise. Terry saw their reaction. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” Michael replied now looking at the woman. “Your last name wouldn’t happened be Caul would it?”

Lilly looked surprised. “How do you know my last name?”

“I think we have a friend of yours, a girl by the name of Carley” Burt said. “We found her four weeks ago, shot and left for dead on the road. She has been trying to find you and the rest of your group ever since. I bet she’ll be glad to see you.”

Terry and Ron looked surprised to this unexpected turn of events but this could work to their benefit in gaining their trust. However, for Lilly, it felt like the earth was about to open up and swallow her.

Carley is alive?
    She thought in disbelief. This can’t be.

Lilly finally found her voice. “This has to be a mistake.”

“This is no mistake, I can prove it.” Michael said reaching for his shoulder mike and radioed the people at the humvee. “Penguin, can you send up Rooster. Tell her we have Lilly with us and we confirmed it. Over.”

A few seconds later, Saul happily answered back. “She’s on her way. This is good news Broken Wing. Over.”

Terry smirked. “Nicknames?”

“Yeah,” Michael nodded. “For security against prying ears but it does work.”

Lilly wasn’t amused like Terry or Ron. She was trying to keep calm as she watched from about 100 yards, a small lithe figure moved from Michael’s humvee and started hurrying towards them.

This has to be mistake. Lilly thought. If this was really Carley she would have told them what happened and they would have at least pulled their weapon on us already.

“Is something wrong?” Burt said to Lilly. “You are suddenly looking pale.”

“I’m fine.” Lilly answered, her eyes drifting towards the small figure still approaching them.

Burt followed Lilly’s glaze and looked towards Carley as the former reporter came closer. The old marine faced the brunette again, his suspicion growing. “Is there something we should know before she gets here?”

Terry didn’t like this at all. What was going on with Lilly and this Carley woman?

“Wait a minute, I have no idea what is going on but I assure you…” He started to say.

“Shut up,” Burt growled. “I’m not talking to you. I’m talking to Lilly here. Got something to get off you chest?”

“Just a damn minute!” Ron said loudly. “What right do you have to interrog…”

He was instantly silenced by the tiny but ominous click of Michael flipping his M4 selective rate of fire lever, switching it from safety to single shot. Michael never moved his weapon, keeping the barrel aimed at the ground but the point was made clear.

We’re talking now so STFU!

The army Sergeant spoke evenly but forcefully to all three individuals in front of him.

“Carley lost part of her short term memory from the trauma she suffered. She remembers the bandit raid on the motel and the escape on the RV but what happened between that and when she woke up on that stretch of road is a troubling mystery for her and for us now.”

Michael locked his eyes with Lilly and the air force mechanic felt her mouth go dry as he asked with an eerie calm voice. “Care to fill in the blanks? I’m betting that you know what happened, so tell us. Who shot her and why?”

Lilly looked at him and to Carley who was very close now, hurrying as fast as she could. Lilly could now see her clearly, the eye patch she was wearing on the left side of her face, the injury she had inflicted on her. She thought about that night, the intense uncontrollable anger she felt because someone inside their group betrayed them and from losing everything to the bandit attack. Then in a fit of rage, she lashed out in violence, using a gun over mere words spoken harshly to her. Lilly tried not to think about that night and what she did but her actions were finally catching up with her again.

Lilly closed her eyes and whispered. “I did it.”

“What?” Burt said.

“I did it,” Lilly repeated, opening her eyes. “I shot her.”

This was earth shattering news to Terry and Ron as well. Terry just stared in horror, while Ron just gasped out. “Oh shit…”

Michael was stunned. “You did that to her?”

“Fuck me…” Burt muttered to himself before his face reddened with rage. “For all the -- Why?!!”

It was almost amazing to Lilly that she didn’t care anymore or what they would do. It was out and she was relieved. “It doesn’t matter. I did it and I can’t take it back.”

Behind them, they could hear Carley shouting out almost joyfully. “Lilly!”

“We’re leaving right now.” Michael said to Burt before shouting out to the woman approaching them from behind, never talking his eyes off the three people in front of him. “Don’t come any closer Carley!”

The young woman stopped within thirty feet of them, confused. The tone in his voice worried her and she put her hand on the holster to her weapon. “What’s wrong Michael?”

“Just stay there!” Michael yelled still keeping his eyes forward. Then under his breath he spoke to Lilly. “She will kill you if she finds out and I’m not really in the mood to stop her.”

Burt just glared furiously at her. “You’re not alone in that sentiment, Michael.”

Seeing Michael and Burt’s attention was on Lilly and concern for his own safety, Ron tried to reach for his gun that was concealed in his waist belt behind his back. The instant he tried, Burt’s eagle eyes caught his movement and the old marine pulled out his Desert Eagle and leveled it in his direction within a heart beat.

“Don’t even try it!” Burt snarled at Ron. “Shirley here can be very unforgiving!”

Michael brought up his M4, his finger on the trigger. “We’re leaving. Don’t try to stop us.”

“No, please try to stop us!” Burt taunted them.

“Burt…” Michael warned. He didn’t want any bloodshed if they could avoid it and possibly cause serious problems between them and this Woodbury in the future.

Suddenly, Carley was beside them with her pistol ready. “What is going on?”

“We’re going.” Michael told her. “Get back to the humvee. We‘ll cover you.”

Carley couldn’t understand what was happening then she looked to Lilly. “What about her? We just found Lilly, we can‘t leave.”

“Oh, yes we can.” Burt said with a sneer. “She might try to finish what she started.”

Carley became even more confused. “What?”

“Carley,” Michael almost begged, trying to keep his eyes on the three Woodbury people in front of him. “You have to trust me, go back to the humvee right now. Burt, shut up!”

“No, I have questions!” Carley said before looking to Lilly. “What is going on? Where is Lee and the others? Talk to me Lilly!”

“Carley!” Michael shouted, raising his voice for the first time. “Leave now!”

“Will someone please TALK TO ME?!!” Carley yelled.

“They have gone to Savannah.” Lilly finally spoke. “Or at least tried to, I can’t say if they made it.”

Carley calmed down a bit as she looked back to Lilly. “Did something happen? Is that why you’re here?”

“Yes… I was left behind.” The brunette told her.

The former reported blinked in surprise. “Why?” Carley was suddenly becoming afraid of the answer but she had to know.

“Carley,” Michael said, trying to get her attention. “We need to get out of here. Let’s go.”

“Fuck this,” Burt had enough. “She has every right to know what this bitch did to her.”

“Know what? What happened?” Carley demanded once more to Lilly. “Tell me what happened? TELL ME!!!”

Lilly took in what might be her last breath and looked Carley right into her one remaining eye. “Lee and the others left me behind because I shot you.”

For a moment, Carley didn’t react. She just stood there horrified as her mind struggled to process the words ringing in her ears. Then her expression became as hard as granite when she suddenly moved, stepping towards Lilly. Her intent was clear as she raised her glock, aiming it at Lilly‘s head.

“Carley!” Michael shouted.

Standing next to the humvee, Saul didn’t like this. At first everything seemed okay and Carley was overjoyed when Michael radioed them, telling them they had found someone from her old group.

However, as soon as Carley got up there, Michael and Burt drew their weapons. He watched through the scope of his rifle and Carley even looked rather upset now and her anger seemed directed at this Lilly person.

Despite her injuries, Carley was still pretty and even her eye-patch made her look a bit of a badass but Saul had never seen her really mad before and it was definitely not a pretty sight. What happened to set her off?

As he watched, a gentle breeze brought a foul stench in the air. The type of stomach turning odor that only one thing can bring. Cautiously, Saul looked over his shoulder and he saw several walkers slowly moving through the trees about hundred feet away. Thankfully, he was up wind to them so the walkers hadn’t picked up his scent yet. Unfortunately, they were passing very close and it was only a matter of time before one looked his way and spotted fresh meat.

Carefully and with no sudden movement, he reached for his radio to warn Michael when he heard a single gunshot. Saul jerked around and looked towards Michael and the other’s position.

Even from this distance, his naked eyes could make out what had happened. “No!”

Then with an icy chill, Saul remembered what was behind him, he turned and saw several walkers now looking towards the sound of the gunshot and him. They starting moving towards the lone soldier and behind them came dozens of more walkers out of the trees. There could be an entire herd of them in the woods, maybe in the hundreds.

This was bad and he was the guy in the middle.

“No, not now!” Saul cursed. He raised his rifle, flipping the safety off and started shooting.

Next Chapter: Confessions

• fantastic story MORE!!!!
    A question will appear on it Lee: D?

• Awesome! Keep Them coming! :)

• I suspect Lilly got off lucky. Just think what Carley would have done if this Lilly also confessed to stealing the RV and abandoning the group. Canon or not ~ BOOM!

• I cannot believe how many times I rewrote this chapter but the ending was worth it. :cool:

Chapter Six: Confessions

“Why?”

Lilly had her eyes closed when she heard Carley’s sudden question. When the former reporter walked up to her to place her gun to her forehead, Lilly expected her life to end right there. She couldn’t fight, not with Carley’s two well armed companions standing just a few feet away.

Slowly, Lilly opened her eyes to find the barrel of Carley’s glock still hovering inches from her face. The woman holding the gun on her was trembling with rage. Lilly knew at best, she was on borrowed time.

“Why did you do that to me?” Carley demanded once more.

“I had two likely suspects that could have been giving our supplies to the bandits. Ben and you,” Lilly said in a shaky voice. Expecting the gun pointed at her to be fired at any second.

“And that’s why you shot me?” Carley hissed. “I didn’t betray you or the group!”

Lilly flinched as the gun moved a bit closer to her forehead. “Lee spoke out in your defense… and I believed him.”

“So what happened? Why did you shoot me!”

Lilly debated what to say but decided to put everything out on the table and not go out as a crying coward, even if Carley kills her for it.

“You wouldn’t shut up.”

“What?”

“After eliminating you, it had to be Ben and I was grilling him but you kept trying to defend him. Why couldn’t you just shut up?”

Carley gave out a little half laugh, using her free left hand to point to the remains of the left side of her face. “So bitch, please tell me what I said to you that earned me a missing eye?”

“My father practically used to say the same thing to me while growing up and I hated it but he did it to toughen me,” Lilly said. “You’re just a scared little girl. Get the fuck over it. When you said it and between what Kenny did to him in that meat locker… I lost it.”

“You lost it?!! I think I might lose it myself right now.” Carley slowly tightened her finger on the trigger of her gun. “Any last words?”

Lilly gave a short fatalistically laugh. “What do you want me to say? I’m sorry? It’s nearly empty and meaningless to you as our world has become to us. I had nothing left after I lost my dad.”

“Nothing left? I was in the same boat that night with you in that RV. My entire family is gone! Don’t try to make me feel sorry for you!”

“Don’t give me that, you had Lee.” Lilly said. “I saw the way you two looked at each other.”

Carley hesitated. Another question came to mind that she needed to be answered. One that had be plaguing her every night. “I was still alive, why was I left behind with you.”

“Ben checked you and declared that you were dead. Obviously he‘s a bigger idiot than we thought.”

“What about Lee? Where was he?”

“He was busy disarming me,” Lilly told her, remembering that night. “The look in his eyes, he wanted to kill me for what I did to you but I guess he liked Kenny’s suggestion to just leave me behind. He would have checked you himself but the gunshot attracted some walkers and Kenny had to physically pull him into the RV. You were lucky the walkers were focused on me and not on you.”

“And the others, are they safe?”

“Clementine and the rest of them are safe as far as I can tell when they left me,” Lilly paused and looked very tired now. “So, are you going to shot me now and or simply ask more questions?”

“Carley,” Michael finally spoke up. She almost forgot that they still had an audience. “She’s not worth it.”

“Except I have a nice little reminder whenever I look into a mirror thanks to her.” Carley replied, her anger boiling over again. “Do you know what it is like to hate the very sight of your own reflection?”

Michael’s answer was sincere. “Yes I do and you will hate yourself even more if you do this.”

“Then tell me how to forgive something like this?” Carley said through clenched teeth. “She scarred me for life!”

“I never said it would be easy,” Michael said. “But you have some of your answers about Lee and the others. We can go home and figure this out. You‘re not alone.”

Carley lowered her weapon slightly as she glanced from the soldier to the old marine.

“Don’t look at me.” Burt said softly as he could with his gruff voice. “I would just shot her myself but you’re not me. Listen, just forget about me, forget about Michael, just do what you feel is right.”

What is right or wrong anymore? Carley thought darkly. There are no cops left to arrest her, let alone thinking of trying her in court. It was so easy to talk to Lee about doing the right thing, I even convinced him to tell people who were the closest to him about his past. It’s what I believed in but when something horrible happens to you then suddenly all of it goes out the window as you seek your pound of flesh in the name of revenge. My only two options are to kill Lilly or let her go. It’s easy to kill when defending yourself or others but to shoot someone who is defenceless. However, this is what that bitch did to me!!! I hate this…

Slowly, Carley lowered her gun and Lilly was literally holding her breath, unsure what was going to happen next.

“I want you to listen to me Lilly,” Carley said, her voice dripping with venom. “If I ever see you again, so help me I will…”

She was interrupted by a gunshot.

Carley flinched but she wasn’t hit. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw and heard Michael’s ballistic vest take the hit. Burt took his eyes off of the Woodbury people for a second as he saw Michael stagger slightly from the force of the impact.

Using that distraction, Ron went for his gun. Reaching behind, he pulled out a 357 magnum revolver from his waistband and aimed it at Burt. Before he could fire, Ron was hit multiple times in the chest and once in the head from Carley, as she unloaded her own weapon into him.

Terry was shouting, unable to stop Ron from getting himself killed. Terry didn’t want this mess to happen and now they’re going to die because the fool who was covering them thought it was a good idea to shot the soldier dressed in body armor first. Suddenly, he was tackled by Lilly, as she pushed him to the ground, just as Michael shook off the hit and stood up straight and returned fire towards the hill top.

“Get behind me!” Michael yelled as he fired his rifle at the hill, trying to find, or at least, keep their attacker from sniping at them again.

“Stay down!” Carley shouted at Lilly and Terry. “Don’t fucking look at us!”

“Look up and you’re dead!” Burt added. The two on the ground instantly obeyed.

From the humvee, they heard Saul open up, firing several rounds over their heads at the same hilltop. There was a pause in firing when they heard his slightly stressed voice over Michael’s radio.

“I got a lot walkers coming at me from behind my position! Get back here now before I run out of bullets because I refuse to be on their menu!”

“Get back to the humvee!” Michael ordered. “I’ll cover you!”

Carley didn’t argue this time as she and Burt started retreating back to the humvee, firing several parting shots at the hilltop, adding their fire to Michael’s and Saul’s.

Dashing back to their vehicle, Carley ran as fast as she could. Even though Burt was twice her age, the old but still strong marine was out pacing her. Then she heard Michael behind her and she glanced over her shoulder, expecting the army sergeant to be passing her but he was right on her tail, almost shadowing her. Michael was in excellent shape and even with all his gear on, he could outrun her fairly easily but he was remaining right behind her. Carley then realized he was shielding her. He had the helmet and protective vest on and he was using his body to protect her from any possible sniper fire.

They came to the old fallen tree and Burt jumped over it first. Then it was Carley’s turn and she leapt over it but a second later, she heard the shot from behind and a cry of pain from Michael. She stopped to look back to see Michael on the ground in a sprawling heap just pass the log. He must have been hit when he had just jumped over it. She feared that he was dead but then she saw him moving and blood on the back of his right thigh soaking his uniform.

“Michael!” Carley ran back to him even as the sniper fired again and missed, hitting the ground beside her. Then she heard Saul’s rifle returning fire.

Holstering her gun, she dropped down to Michael’s side. Grasping his protective vest with both hands and all her might, Carley started pulling him back towards the log for cover.

It was then Michael started coming back to his senses from his hard face plant to the ground. He realized he was being dragged back to the log and saw who was helping him. “What are you doing Carley? Run!”

“Shut up and help me move you!” Carley shouted back.

Using his arms and good leg, Michael helped Carley move him back to fallen tree. She collapsed down to Michael’s right as the sniper opened fire again, striking the log.

Michael checked his rifle before looking at Carley. “You should have kept on running.” He told her .

“You’re welcomed,” She replied sarcastically. “Can you imagine the hell that Pegs would give me if anything happened to you?”

Michael shook his head with a slight smile and pointed to Carley. “Watch our right and the tree line. Our left is okay, it’s clear straight to the highway and Saul has an easy line of sight over that area.”

Nodding, and still keeping low, Carley drew her gun again and aimed it to protect their right flank. “How’s your leg?” She asked.

“Hurts but nothing is broken.” Michael grunted as he tested his leg. “Bleeding is not bad. Nothing vital was hit.”

“Want me to check it?” She offered.

“No, keep your eyes forward. We’ll just wait for Saul and Burt. They will come for us in the humvee.” Michael said as he watched Burt reach their vehicle and disappeared behind it before hearing an eruption of gunfire.

That didn’t sound too promising. Carley thought.

“Uh, are you sure you don’t what me to slap a tourniquet on it if we have a longer than expected wait?” She offered again.

Puffing, Burt finally reached the humvee and as he came around to the other side, he found a slaughter. Dozens of walkers were littered about twenty feet from their vehicle. Saul was alternating between giving them covering fire against the sniper on the hill before being forced to shoot the walkers that were creeping up behind him. He was basically fighting a battle on two fronts, protecting them and protecting himself.

The old marine walked towards the young black soldier while firing Shirley at three of the closest walkers causing their heads to literally explode from the impact of the powerful rounds fired from his Desert Eagle gun.

“Michael got hit!” Saul yelled to him as he also turned to fire on even more walkers continuing to pour from the forest.

“I know!” Burt shouted back as he shot his gun again at the approaching dead, his temper threatening to get the better of him. “I knew this rescue would be a waste of fuel, ammo and maybe our lives!” He then gestured his head to the humvee. “Get in and pop the roof hatch! I’m driving and while you‘re at it, get the SAW out of the back!”

They just fucked with the wrong people! Burt thought to himself and he was going to hit that point home to these Woodbury people.

“I don’t see them.”

“What?” Carley looked back at Michael in alarm to see him peeking over the log with his rifle, trying to locate the sniper. She then glanced to the humvee which hadn’t moved yet.

“I don’t see them,” Michael repeated before ducking back down. “Lilly and Terry must have crawled out of sight.”

Carley looked at him and his bleeding leg for a moment. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“I endangered everyone by threatening to kill Lilly.”

Michael managed a chuckle. “Well, she did pull a Dick Cheney on you but in the end you kept control. A lot better than some soldiers I served with during combat.” He paused and looked at her. “When we get out of here, I’ll see if I can get some volunteers to go with you to Macon and check out that motel and see if your friends are there. It sounds like a longshot after what Lilly told us but we can make sure.”

Carley couldn’t help but smile. “Thank you Michael.”

“Good,” he pointed to Carley’s right. “Now, keeping checking that tree line, until we‘re out of here.”

“You got it boss.”

A moment later, she heard Michael saying in relief. “The humvee is moving. They’re coming for us.”

Carley glanced over and the humvee was indeed on the move and heading for them. Then she finally saw the massive horde of walkers slowly trying to chase after the vehicle.

Quietly, she started praying for their transportation. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown.

Standing with the top hatch opened, Saul rested the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) on it’s bipod on the roof of the humvee before levelling it down range at the hill. With a simple pull of the trigger he unleashed a hail of 5.56 rounds. He couldn’t see the sniper but machine gun fire is always an effective deterrent for any would be living attacker. Accuracy by volume hardly ever fails.

Burt accelerated slightly as he swerved around the log placing the armoured vehicle between Michael & Carley and the hill where the sniper was firing from.

“Get in!” Saul yelled to them as he fired another long burst from the M249 as they came to a complete stop next to them.

Carley grabbed Michael by the arm and helped to pull him to his feet and together they stood up.

It took a bit of effort and luck but Terry managed to circle quickly around to flank them. Their leader Michael was with that Carley woman and both were seeking shelter behind that fallen tree. He was back in far enough in the woods on their right that they couldn’t see him. In fact, their leader appeared to be wounded.

Both he and Lilly managed to crawl their way to the trees to get out of the crossfire. However, as soon as they got to cover, Lilly started to insist that they head back to Woodbury but he wasn’t going runaway like a coward. That Carley woman killed Ron and he was going to make her pay.

As Terry readied his rifle, it was then the humvee pulled up and one of them was on top firing a machine gun!

Terry ducked down further but they still couldn’t see him. As he watched, Carley helped Michael to his feet to get him to the vehicle. It was perfect. He couldn’t do much to the soldiers with their protective helmets and vests, but she was between him and their leader, completely exposed.

“Goodnight darling.” He whispered. This is for Ron.

He careful raised his rifle and sighted her in. He was an expert hunter and had made shots from this distance many times before. He rested the crosshairs on her head before he held his breath and squeezed the trigger.

A hand slammed down on the barrel of his rifle as he fired, striking the ground instead. Startled, he looked up to see Lilly was standing over him.

“NO!” She said. “Just let them go!”

Angry, he rose up to his knees. “What the fuck…” He started to demand.

Saul heard a rifle shot to his right. He swung the machine gun around and immediately raked the nearby tree line with a shower of lead. He kept on shooting, giving covering fire as Carley helped Michael into the back of the humvee before jumping into the front passenger seat herself.

As the doors to the humvee closed, Burt floored the vehicle and they were off racing back to Highway 85 and home leaving Woodbury and the hungry mass of walkers far behind them.

Lilly heard the roaring engine of the humvee departing which intermingled with the sounds of hundreds of moaning walkers nearby. She was amazed to be alive after what felt like the entire forest around her exploded with machine gun fire.

She tried to get up but there was weight across her chest holding her down, it was Terry’s body. Carefully, Lilly pushed him off and checked him. He was just inches from her but he was stuck with several fatal rounds fired from that machine gun and she was barely scratched.

She looked upon his body with sadness. Like her, he just didn’t know when to let go. He wanted to avenge Ron but killing Carley could have ignited a war between Carley’s well armed friends and theirs. Also, Carley decided to spare her life, for whatever her reason. Lilly owed her for that and for what she did to her before. She just wished Terry wasn’t the one that had to pay the price. He was kind to her and looked after her when she first joined Woodbury. Now she had some explaining to do with the Governor about the death of two of their people. She was starting to feel cursed.

Wasting little time, she gathered up Terry’s rifle and fired one mercy round for into him to prevent from turning. Now moving quickly, she hurried back to the top of the hill. Thankfully the departing humvee was drawing most of the walkers away from her by now.

She raced to the top of the hill, praying he was there because it will be a long dangerous walk back to Woodbury by herself. Once there, she looked and spotted the truck parked along the trail and standing next to it, holding his rifle was Bruce.

Lilly waved in relief and hurried to him, thankful he stuck around. Bruce himself was also relieved as she approached him. He was young and unfortunately, reminded Lilly a little too much of Ben from her old group but at least she could tolerate him.

“I thought you were all dead but I decided to wait five minutes.” Bruce said. “I saw what happened to Ron… Did Terry make it?”

Lilly shook her head and Bruce looked depressed and started blaming himself. “When they drew their weapons on you I didn’t know what to do. I thought that one woman was about to kill you. When I saw the chance, I took the shot and kept shooting until I ran out of ammo. What happened?”

“They…” Lilly thought for a moment. “They were interrogating us, trying to learn more about Woodbury. The number of people we have, weapons, food stores. You did the right thing.”

She wanted to punch Bruce for shooting in the first place. If he hadn’t, both sides could have walked away and never bothered each other again. Regardless, Lilly had to lie or the Governor would punish her. He seemed to be a good leader who can make the hard calls. Unfortunately, he can be very unforgiving to utter incompetence and especially to betrayal. Lilly was new and she can’t risk being thrown out or worst. However, Bruce is originally from Woodbury and all she had to do was matchup her story with what he saw.

Bruce looked up saw walkers cresting the hill that Lilly had just came over. They were following her. “We best clear out and get home. Did you get a name of who they were?”

“No,” Lilly shook her head as they hurried to the truck. “They didn’t give a name or where they are from.”

Lilly couldn’t believe how lost she was and she needed purpose, a reason to live. Maybe she could rebuild her life in Woodbury as she hoped. The people there seemed to have faith in this Governor and perhaps he can lead them all out of this darkness and horror and not into another nightmare.

She can only hope.

A mile down the road, Burt was driving the humvee as fast as he dared on the wreckage filled highway, trying to get Michael back to the Nest and Doctor Cottle as soon as possible.

“As soon as we’re in range of the Nest, I’ll radio them to be ready for us.” Burt said.

A concerned Carley looked over the backseat. “How is he?” She asked Saul as he worked to control the bleeding from Michael’s leg.

“I’m still conscious you know.” Michael winced as Saul tightened the tourniquet around his right thigh. “You can ask me.”

“But a patient makes

• Lilly survived?
    ah dammit!
    Great chapter!

• "Two likely suspects?" STFU Lilly.

Another great chapter, you managed to keep me interested during the action, something most fanfics don't manage. Keep em coming. :D

Add Comment