User Avatar Image

Aggressive TWD comments on TTG blog in entries for entirely different franchises

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 5.5K users

Let me just say something first. I love The Walking Dead so far. I think it's the best thing Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse, and I'm not complaining about the game itself in any way.

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? Fine. I admit Telltale needs to communicate stuff like this better myself. But it seems like that's all that's ever discussed anymore. It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

But what really gets me is how the blog posts about the Sam and Max/Monkey Island sales got flooded with comments going "Don't care, where's the next Walking Dead episode?" Maybe it's just because I love Sam and Max and Monkey Island, but that kind of stuff just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, let's be fair, everyone's new at first. You don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of Telltale's library to be here (though it helps ;) ). And no, you don't have to care about those games. But keep it to yourself, especially if you're going to use it as an excuse to segue into something completely irrelevant. What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get this off my chest.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I get fed up with this thread.

Get it back on track - yes, that means the original question asked - or don't post in it.

In any other case, I would have to close it.

• @Christoaster said: But you're bitching about the 'new' fanbase. So you're making it even worse. Don't be one of those annoying hipsters please.

If you're referring to me, which I can only guess as you didn't quote, I'm not quite sure where the "hipster" part comes in?
    Is it now hipster to feel a bit of sadness that part of a group I belong to (simply because we are all new to TTG) is causing a bad image for the rest of the group?

• @Vainamoinen said: Get it back on track - yes, that means the original question asked - or don't post in it.

I dunno, Vain. I feel that regardless of what's being brought up about the game's release date, the arc of the discussion still involves TT's fanbases, which appears to have been the OP's intent. Unless I'm missing something.

• @EternallyBored said: Can't use logic to counter fanboy logic. Just give up and spend your time on better games, like Dishonored which comes out tomorrow.

talking bout dishonored jsut bought it today from a friend, and its awesome best game i've played during the 2012 lol

• @Jessabeth said: If you're referring to me, which I can only guess as you didn't quote, I'm not quite sure where the "hipster" part comes in?
    Is it now hipster to feel a bit of sadness that part of a group I belong to (simply because we are all new to TTG) is causing a bad image for the rest of the group?

No that was to the original poster of this thread.

• I feel a bit like I'm joining the conversation late - I very, very rarely come into this forum (I didn't like the pre-release attitudes that were brewing, and I'm now pretty glad I stayed away), and when I do, it's usually only to try to see if I can find some information on whether or not an episode has been released for the Telltale launcher (I choose to not play the game on Steam, and it makes me a little sad that availability via the official launcher is never mentioned in news posts, etc., but that's another story).

I was pretty shocked and disheartened to see the kind of conduct in the Sam & Max 25th anniversary blog post (which I believe is what the OP created this thread in response to), where what should have been a celebration of one of Telltale's longest running franchises is now dominated by spam and really horrible stuff from people who are disappointed by TWD's release schedule.

It seems to me that whilst this is the work of a vocal minority, the root of the problem is a lack of communication and community management, which has been more and more evident over the past year - new people who aren't familiar with how Telltale works are lashing out because things they care about are not clear, and nobody is stepping up to say that that kind of behaviour is not welcome or tolerated (at least so far as blog posts go for the latter part - like I say, I don't spend a lot of time in this forum, and I don't mean to be belittling the volunteer moderators' work in any way). I've asked several times via comment, Twitter and most recently a direct message to Telltale's PR manager whether or not we could get things cleaned up in that blog post's comments, and have finally managed to get a response that Telltale are in the process of bringing onboard a new community manager, which I hope will signal a change of direction.

Whlst I'm enjoying The Walking Dead in some respects, it's really not a game or a franchise I care that much about, and I only bought it to show support for a company that previously made things I was proud to own. I'm hoping that the angry vocal minority (which seem to outnumber what's left of the pre-Universal community) don't prevent Telltale from making the kind of games that I do like.

• @RAnthonyMahan said:

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

What an adorable baby troll you are! :D

• It happens when a large group of people come, I used to play a game called Dead frontier, they had a huge wave of newground kids come... not a fun sight.

Only heard of Tell Tale from TWD, and I'm pretty happy with what I got.

• Fine. No joy buzzing killjoys.

@Red Panda said: ...

How do you tell which end is up?

@Red Panda said: Unless I remember incorrectly, when I purchased the game it said episodes would be released monthly, not every other month. How is that not the definition of false advertising?

I apologize. What I should have said was thank you for the illustrating the original poster's point.

• @EternallyBored said: Can't use logic to counter fanboy logic. Just give up and spend your time on better games, like Dishonored which comes out tomorrow.

AAARRRRRR what be a Fanboy?

This discussion has been closed.