User Avatar Image

Sam and Max: The Movie

posted by Silly Bob on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Not an actual movie, but I just got an idea that (at least I thought) was really cool, What if after a few seasons, you guys put together a full leangth game, like about twenty hours of gameplay, sort every once in a while with TV shows you see a few seasons, then a movie, like the X-Files, maybe spend a season building up a story line, and then give the climax in a full length game, called Sam and Max: The Movie, though considering it's a video game, I'm not sure how good a title like "The Movie" would be. but please excuse me, it's 2:00 in the morning and I'm rambling.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I edited your post to correct your oversight of a perfect joke opportunity. And don't call me Shirley.

• @tobar said: Surely you've seen Airplane?

Lol yeah, good point.

• @tabacco said: I edited your post to correct your oversight of a perfect joke opportunity. And don't call me Shirley.

Huzzah! You've won the thread :D

• @tabacco said: I edited your post to correct your oversight of a perfect joke opportunity. And don't call me Shirley.

God bless blatant abuse of admin powers! :rolleyes:

• @Christovsky said: There's no reason to assume straight-off that an idea wouldn't work in any particular medium, but I expect Sam and Max doesn't have enough substance for a movie, which isn't a criticism. It's just that the stories are a pretty constant stream of quick-fire jokes, and that kind of thing is best appreciated in short bursts.

Perhaps it would be better to have a bunch of seemingly-random stories that, in fact, all connect at the end in a surprise twist? I'm thinking along the lines of Big Fish but more ambiguous and more Sam and Max.

• @DDshoeshowz said: Perhaps it would be better to have a bunch of seemingly-random stories that, in fact, all connect at the end in a surprise twist? I'm thinking along the lines of Big Fish but more ambiguous and more Sam and Max.

Maybe. I can't help but think of the third Harry Potter film in which lots of disjoint events are all going on at once and it's horribly messy, but that doesn't mean it can't be done well by a competent director. Big Fish is a good counter-example, although slightly different from mine because the stories mostly happen one at a time rather than all at once.

• Easy way to get a good Sam N Max movie made and released, do it machinima style!:D Sure you can't make any money off it that way, or maybe you can I don't know, but they've done a killer job with the humor thus far both in the games and the website shorts.

As for a "The Movie" game, well it's been done. I really like the episodic format, gives me something to look forward to each month of my dreary - oh sorry I missed my medication. Anyway if the episodes ever get to a point where they are to large and complex to release once a month, or to large of a physical download to handle reasonably, then yeah it might be a better option to wait a while and get one big game a year, but I think it's probably a little unreasonable to expect one between seasons.

• Yeah that makes sense, Also, i kind of came the realisation, that Sam and Max Season 1, is sort of the series based on the movie, the movie being Hit the Road.

• I kind of think of Hit The Road as being the "movie".

Add Comment