User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 4 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about "Around every Corner" right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODE!!!

AND I'll add an open poll to this thread for you to rate the episode on a scale from one to ten. It's not a substitute for a constructive review... it's just because I like polls.

Please ignore the results if Gary Whitta votes a 10. :D

edit: I created the poll as an open poll so you could see who voted which number... but it seems like Jake had different plans. So now Gary can vote and you wouldn't even know. ;)

394 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This game man, it fucks with my emotions. When Kenny made his little speech about going with me to find clementine because I've had his back I shed a tear. Makes me upset that Lee didn't even get to say goodbye to Clementine because I made her cry about her parents. I feel like a douche bag. I killed Ben because I couldn't stand him anymore. Even though I hated him for what he did it still was kinda hard to let him go. Sad to see Molly go, she was a badass. :)

• @NeonBlade said: I'm surprised so many people have trouble shooting the Zombie off of Molly. I did it on my first try, which is fortunate since I do not ever restart or replay. I'll replay when all 5 eps are here.

I replay certain sequences like when I was fighting Molly. There was no way I was gonna let Lee get beaten by a girl. That would be ridiculous. Since some sequences have to be replayed any way like when you drop to your death when jumping from roof top to roof top if you don't catch Molly's hand in time or when your foot get's stuck on the stairs during the zombie shoot out I don't see anything wrong with replaying sequences to achieve the story you want, what with this game being a tailor made experience an all.

I managed to beat Kenny on the train on my first attempt but if I had failed I would have redone it because I can't stand Kenny and wouldn't want Lee to be going around with the bruise on his face left by Kenny.

• Clem shot the zombie of molly for me..

• @CocaColin said: By the time I finished, 16% of players got everyone in the group to go with Lee to find Clem. Anyone that did, how did you convince Kenny? Part of me feels like it has to do back in Episode 2, if you helped him kill Larry or not.

Kenny was pretty antagonistic this whole episode towards me. Yet I appealed to his family values. Something about "Clementine is my family" and he gives in.

• @Matrox Yang said: Kenny's been my bro all through the game- I even sided with him in the meat locker. So why when I ask him to come with me does he say I wouldn't do the same for him. This has been the first big time where he hasn't treated me like a pal.

I think the game can be kind of random like that. The same thing happened to me when I played episode 2. Even though I mostly sided with him and supported his family through episode 1 he told me I couldn't come with him when he fixed the RV. This pissed me off because he wouldn't even have the RV or the motor inn if Lee didn't kill all the walkers with Carly. When I replayed the episode using the same game save from episode 1 he said I could come with him.

I have lost count of all the times I saved Kenny's family members but I definitely remember saving Kenny in the streets of Savannah since it was only the day before he refused to help me find Clementine. Apparently he wasn't going to help Clementine because i'm selfish and I have never had his back and he wanted me to see how it feels. He's quite the twisted fucker when he's angry. I hope he dies terribly.

• @dee23 said: I replay certain sequences like when I was fighting Molly. There was no way I was gonna let Lee get beaten by a girl. That would be ridiculous. Since some sequences have to be replayed any way like when you drop to your death when jumping from roof top to roof top if you don't catch Molly's hand in time or when your foot get's stuck on the stairs during the zombie shoot out I don't see anything wrong with replaying sequences to achieve the story you want, what with this game being a tailor made experience an all.

I managed to beat Kenny on the train on my first attempt but if I had failed I would have redone it because I can't stand Kenny and wouldn't want Lee to be going around with the bruise on his face left by Kenny.

Obviously replaying mandatory death sequences is a must, but rewinding to gain a desired effect is dishonest. It completely removes the tension of a game like this, because if you simply messed up. You can just go back and replay it.

Not only is it dishonest, it is emotionally self serving and people who rewind like this to me are duplicitous people; because they cannot make a decision, OR , and they are afraid to "fail" and live with the consequences; take it on the chin and move on.

I think that is also another psychological strength to Tell Tales game than choosing who lives and dies.

• I totally agree with you! I ended up hating Lily's guts because she killed Carley, she was my favourite character apart from Clemmy! But in a strange way I miss her, I wonder what she would've done in this ep. Would she have came with me at the end. I think her and Kenny would've killed one another though. If I could have one character back it'd definitely be Carley, I...I loved her man!

• Absolutely loved this ep! Totally gutted about Chuck, didn't really like him at first but when I saw him risk his life for Clemmy and us it made me like him. Ben was pissing me off during this episode but I still ended up saving him, like I (Lee) has said before, 'we're strongest when we're together,' and what Clem said, 'We don't leave friends behind.' CANNOT believe that Lee's bitten, did NOT see that one coming! That's what makes this game so amazing. When Lily shot Carley, I actually gasped! Same when I saw that Lee was bitten and a few other points along the game. I MISS CARLEY SO MUCH! I got everyone except Ben to come with me into the next episode, I panicked and triple dotted when Ben said he'd stay behind and he ended up doing it. Don't mind too much. As long as I get Clem back safely I don't care. Roll on episode five! :D

• @zivi7 said: This will probably drown in the flood of responses, but after all the praise about the choices I wanted to point out some negative things of the implementation I noticed, mainly in the school.

There seems to be no apparant entry point for the walkers in front of the room with the medical supplies, they seem to just come out of nowhere after you closed the main entrance with the hatchet.

The first time you make it back from the garage only with the help of Molly. When you go back there to get the tape from the Doc suddenly this doesn't matter, there's a just a loading screen and you are back in the school.

After watching the second video Lee tells Christa and Vernon he'd watch the third one while they go ahead. But the game puts you in front of the two old videos. I ended up watching both old tapes again because I couldn't be sure which one was the third one now. It would have been so much better if the next screen would have been Lee at the camcorder with just the third tape as option there. THEN he could have put this third tape next to the others on the desk in case the player wants to watch one of them again.

The floor I noticed was when Lee was talking to Christa after she became emotional in the nurse office. Lee asked if she was o.k and said he noticed she had been different for last few days or something to that effect but he had only known her for a matter of hours. He met her the afternoon after Duck and Kat died. They arrived at Savannah a little while later and had that discussion in the evening. I also thought it was strange that know one asked me if I saw Chuck on my travels and more importantly that Lee didn't mention that he found Chuck dead in the sewers. I still enjoyed the game though.

I would have liked the opportunity to look for Clem's parents though since Lee had promised Clem he would on the train. I think his broken promise is the reason she left. I think she left voluntarily. If she had struggled Lee would have woken up what with him sleeping in the same room. I think she left either with Vernon or by herself to follow the person on the radio because she was upset Lee wasn't going to help her find her parents anymore. When I play again I will lie and tell her we will search for her parents and see if she leaves the same way or if there are signs of a struggle in the house.

• This episode beat "Starved for Help" as my number 1. It balanced out adventure/action/choices perfectly (for me) and woo I'm proud to have gotten everyone to help find clementine, including Ben :P can't wait for the end!.. actually I can wait, I don't want to say goodbye to my Lee :(

Add Comment