User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 4 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 14.2K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about "Around every Corner" right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODE!!!

AND I'll add an open poll to this thread for you to rate the episode on a scale from one to ten. It's not a substitute for a constructive review... it's just because I like polls.

Please ignore the results if Gary Whitta votes a 10. :D

edit: I created the poll as an open poll so you could see who voted which number... but it seems like Jake had different plans. So now Gary can vote and you wouldn't even know. ;)

394 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I feel so selfish after letting Ben go and man I hope TellTale does something so I can somehow redeem myself.

• I managed to have Kenny, Ben, Omid and Krista with me in the end. I was shocked about Kenny... We've had a rocky go of it, ever since he dropped the salt lick on Larry's head. But somehow, I managed to get him to come with me -- he even mentioned that he didn't know if I would put my life on the line for him. Not sure what affected his decision -- I told him that Clem was my family, and that seemed to win him over I guess. I think things are only going to get worse in Episode 5, since he seemed pretty pissed when I insisted Ben come with us.

Edit: Oh, and Molly is awesome. The scene where she fends off the zombies in the school was amazing. I only wish she'd come with me.

• Honestly I don't think Lee will die or else they have given up on having a season 2 with the same characters. Perhaps they will do a less than 3 days later thing next time, OH! Maybe Season 2 is that you play through the infection meeting your door step or the news!

• Am I the only one that chose to hide the bite and then tell the others I would look for Clementine alone? I just figured that seeing as Lee was already a dead man it'd be easier this way. It doesn't matter if Lee dies but if I bring along the rest of the group then there's the possibility that they'll slow me down or that more of them will die as well.

Meh I'm going back and changing my decision.

• Okay. Just finished the episode.

First off, I'm surprised people had problems shooting the zombie off of Molly. I did it on my first go and didn't think much of it. I guess all that time playing Modern Warfare has finally paid off.....

EXCEPT that it didn't work when I tried to save Chuck. I shot the zombie in the head FOUR TIMES and nothing happened, due to it being a scripted event. Thumbs down on that, Telltale.

In fact, that first experience of the episode left a really bad taste in my mouth and made me start disliking the episode. However, by the end, I thought it was great.

I was always nice to Ben since the start; I didn't think he was all that bad. I didn't even blame him or have a problem with him giving supplies to the bandits -- I think the bandits would have attacked sooner if he hadn't. Plus, I don't blame him for Carley's death. I blame Lilly for that. And yet I ended up dropping Ben. He acted liked a stooge for the entire episode and unlike the deaths of Carley or Duck or anyone, I DID hold him responsible for getting that cancer survivor woman killed. However, I had a really hard time when it came to letting him go. I had to press escape to pause it, and I was just like, "Oh Telltale. Oh, you mighty bastards. Damn you. Damn you for this." But I let Ben fall to his death. When I found out he could have possibly joined you at the end to help search for Clementine, I felt a moment of regret. But then I realized his "efforts" would probably amount to him falling down and shitting himself during the search, so to hell with it.

It's a good thing the episode ended so strongly, because I had a few problems with it. The episode didn't seem as fleshed out as the ones before; I felt like I was just walking around bland environments, doing boring puzzles. The sewer is the epitome of what I'm talking about. My most favorite puzzle in the entire series is still that first part at the motel, where you have to kill all the zombies quietly. I loved that part.

Also, some of the quick time events felt frustrating to work with, which I only felt once before in this series of games. The foot stuck through the wooden floorboard is maybe the worst one in the episode.

However, the counterpoint to that is I like that Telltale put more action and more zombie-killing in this episode. I appreciated that. Yes, I know the Walking Dead series has always been very focused around human interaction, but too much of that and it can start feeling less like a zombie apocalypse and more like the 80's soap opera "Dallas." That scene where Lee hacks through all those zombies in the armory, that was amazingly bad-ass. I got a thrill from playing that part. That's the kind of stuff I like to see.

I thought Kenny was fine in Episode 1, but he started getting more and more on my nerves as time went on. By this episode, I see him as just a dumb and insane hillbilly, and I only want him around for the boat. I asked for his help to find Clementine, and he said no -- not a big surprise. Maybe I could get him to help if I told him I thought of Clemetine as family, instead of the Lee begging him response, but to hell with him.

So, in the end, it's Lee, Omid, and Christa. I did show them the bite. No point in hiding it if it's gonna happen.

I was trying to think of the best possible scenario, where I would like Clem to end up now that Lee is a dead man walking. I think she might be best off with Molly. Probably Christa too, but Christa isn't a ninja.

Oh, and my final comment: I REALLY wish Telltale would have given you the option to, you know, help Clem find her family. The thing that she's been pushing for since the beginning. The thing that I thought Lee might be interested from the beginning as well. Hell, we could have at least checked the hotel that Clem's parents called from, their last known destination.

Anyways, I ended up giving the episode a 7/10. On the one hand, the episode had some real pivotal moments and some cool scenes. Plus, I like Molly. A lot. ;) On the other hand, it felt very railroady, maybe more so than any previous episode. There were some parts that felt like boring filler (the sewer). It's a tie between the first and third episode as my most favorite.

I hope Telltale makes more games in this genre. I guess more Walking Dead.

Edit: Well, hell. I didn't know they had confirmed a season 2. Yaaay, I think. Hopefully they'll have a solid story and characters as good as Lee and Clem.

• I chose to bring everyone with me because someone needs to be with Clementine when Lee dies. Besides, if no one comes, I believe Clementine will have to kill Lee when he turns and I don't want that.

When I saw Lee's arm bite, all I could think was "My god, Lee is gonna die, what will happen to Clementine?". When Christa (I believe it was her) asked what happened I knew Lee's time was short and I started to wonder what he would leave for Clementine.

Kenny is thrustworthy and won't abandon Lee or Clementine. Ben messed up pretty bad, but he is well intentioned. I hope he redeems himself in episode two. Christa and Omid seem to like Clementine very much and I believe they would be good foster parents.

I can't wait for the final episode. Maybe the next season will be about Clementine growing up in the new world.

• [quote=marcu5;690666]goddamn, can a black man ever make it out of a zombie scenario alive. Kenny outlives me? Really?[/quote]
    lmmfao

• :D i have just completed it, and it was good :D

• This was a great Episode, I checked the Review of it on IGN a day before it came out for PC and it got a 7.9 so my expectations were a lot lower than the others but after I beat it I wondered why they gave it such a low score (By Walking Dead Standards) this episode was A LOT better than the previous one and it just goes to show that your Decisions DO matter. Since it was announced that there would be a Season 2 , whats going to happen to Lee? And whats going to happen to Clem if Lee dies this Episode?

• I think Molly is Clementines Mother, That's why she went on her own after the old man said he wanted to take her. Maybe Clementine knew that she was going that's why she started crying and started to ask questions about getting their parents back and cried afterwards. Notice at the very end The man on the phone says "choose your words very carefully" (Could be the Father) using the walkie talkie to use lee to help clementine get to them safely.

Then you had to answer the question about clementine and then the episode ends. she also looks a lot like her too I think there may be a big twist to the whole situation. and If i was lee I would cut my arm off just to survive or you could get that bastard Ben to suck the zombie germs of the wound lol

Add Comment