User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 4 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 13K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about "Around every Corner" right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODE!!!

AND I'll add an open poll to this thread for you to rate the episode on a scale from one to ten. It's not a substitute for a constructive review... it's just because I like polls.

Please ignore the results if Gary Whitta votes a 10. :D

edit: I created the poll as an open poll so you could see who voted which number... but it seems like Jake had different plans. So now Gary can vote and you wouldn't even know. ;)

394 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • at first i though the episode wasn't as good as 2 and 3, but the more it went, i started enjoying the character of Molly, whom i hope we may see in episode 5 maybe.

and then the ending... the ending itself made it for me, Lee getting bit, gathering the folks who will want to follow me (everyone but Ben, that guy couldn't help an old man to cross a street) and i'm gonna go kill whomever took Clementine... then i guess she'll shoot me and go off with the rest, hopefully they do a better job watching her than they're currently doing though...

anyhow i digress, i really love the episode and i can NOT wait for the finale one.

• great episode.... does any1 know what happens if you leave clementine at the house without a gun?

• great episode i think it is my favorite,i really hope lee doesn't die maybe when the walker bit him clams hat was in the way and he didn't really bite him and i want molly to stay in the group but i guess we will see in episode 5 maybe she will come back anyway this is the best episode great work Gary whitta you did an awesome job cant wait for episode 5

• @Smiley728 said: I don't think anybody realized the fact that, TellTale confirmed episodes 6-10, they are going to make a complete Season 2.

Therefore there has to be SOME sort of way that Lee doesn't die.

They never said ep 6-10. Its a second season of TWD, there is no need for any of the current characters for that.

• @zivi7 said: This will probably drown in the flood of responses, but after all the praise about the choices I wanted to point out some negative things of the implementation I noticed, mainly in the school.

There seems to be no apparant entry point for the walkers in front of the room with the medical supplies, they seem to just come out of nowhere after you closed the main entrance with the hatchet.

The first time you make it back from the garage only with the help of Molly. When you go back there to get the tape from the Doc suddenly this doesn't matter, there's a just a loading screen and you are back in the school.

After watching the second video Lee tells Christa and Vernon he'd watch the third one while they go ahead. But the game puts you in front of the two old videos. I ended up watching both old tapes again because I couldn't be sure which one was the third one now. It would have been so much better if the next screen would have been Lee at the camcorder with just the third tape as option there. THEN he could have put this third tape next to the others on the desk in case the player wants to watch one of them again.

Two more things I forgot:

When walking past the main entrance with the horde of walkers trying to get in, the stereo mix seems weird: there are many walker noises coming from the left and some coming from the right, while obviously there are only walkers on the left side of the screen.

When entering the school, in the first room (where Ben will try to open the Armory) you can take your time to read the Crawford papers and the map. When you are done reading, you just click again to close the view. But when you leave the room and go in the hallway, this isn't the case anymore with the big banner about the Crawford rules. Instead, when trying to read them, this view will disappear after a few seconds. As a non native speaker I had to click the banner at least three times to read all the rules.

• All right, my thoughts. I've always had a rule to myself that Telltale's fourth episode is always the best, and so far it looks like the same rule is with The Walking Dead. I'm really impressed by how they always seem to make each new episode more depressing than the last. Even though I had Lee being bitten spoiled for me in advance, I still ended up shocked when it happened.

Also, now that we're closer to the end and it's easier to pull off branching paths...choices that actually matter! Part of why I was one of the few people to save Ben was because I thought "Whatever, the outcome will be the same either way." Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when I found out you can actually kill him. I also find the fact that you can have six different parties for the finale pretty interesting. I wonder how different the end will be depending on who's with you. I somehow ended up with everybody, but I bet the episode will be a lot more somber if it's just Lee and Kenny, or even worse, Lee alone.

I do have a few complaints, though. First of all, Chuck got killed off way too fast. It seems that, like Mark, he existed solely to pad the body count. You could argue Telltale's trying to make some kind of point here (especially with Vernon's lines about death becoming routine), but it still feels kind of...eh to me.

In fact, it seems like the game in general is moving too fast. Of the huge cast we met in Episode 1, Clem and Kenny are the only characters left. (Maybe not even Kenny, if you kicked him out of the group.) Those early episodes feel like ancient history now. Granted, this was probably the point. Part of The Walking Dead's charm is the huge timeframe it takes place over, and how things always change (but never for the better). Telltale has to convey that same feeling but in a much smaller space, so I guess the story has to be fast as a consequence.

Also, the FPS segments are a pain in the ass. There's no crosshair or cursor, so it's hard to tell exactly where you're aiming, which is especially infuriating since you have to shoot the walkers in the head. It's strangely satisfying when you do them right, though. Now I wonder if the Telltale Tool could handle a full FPS game...

Anyway, overall, great episode. Eagerly looking forward to the finale.

• Is anyone else depressed now? When I found out Lee was bitten, I felt kind of numb. I dont know if I was emotionally drained or what. Now that it's settled in, I just feel so down. Chuck dead, Clem kidnapped, Lee bitten and dying, Ben suicidal, Kenny continuing to be an a-hole to me. Ive never enjoyed a game so much that made me feel so bad, lol.

• @Natalie1213 said: Also, just wanted to say something that I was just thinking about. I've always hated Lilly so much, but I feel like a small part of me liked her. I actually miss her a lot. Missing a character that you've always loathed? Or that you thought you did? None other than TTG has done this for me before.
    I miss Lilly, Katjaa and Duck so much. And don't even get me started on Carley. ): I miss the original cast so much, yet having this new cast just makes me remember and treasure the old cast even more, and makes me realize that even if I hated some characters, I actually have a part of me that liked them. Anyone else feeling like this as well? I can't say I dislike any character aside from Ben, whom I did feel sympathy for when he begged me to let go.
    No other game has done this for me. Terrific job. I've bought the Season Pass, but I definitely will buy the disc when it comes out because I just love it so much.

how can you MISS a computer game character... seriously.. some people just are over reacting on this... i know this game is good and the story too, probably the best i've played so far.. but please.. don't say miss game characters.. :)

also chuck... nice guy, i guess ... but some people react so emotionally.. he's just been there maybe 2 hours in the game to find out he's dead.. we didn't get the chance to know him because he hardly talks about anything..

• @miesman81 said: how can you MISS a computer game character... seriously.. some people just are over reacting on this... i know this game is good and the story too, probably the best i've played so far.. but please.. don't say miss game characters.. :)

also chuck... nice guy, i guess ... but some people react so emotionally.. he's just been there maybe 2 hours in the game to find out he's dead.. we didn't get the chance to know him because he hardly talks about anything..

If you can miss TV characters or book characters or movie characters, you can miss game characters. What's the difference?

• why lee was bitten !? this doesn't make sense, he have a child to take care and she is like a daughter to him!!
    I don't know if I have more interest in playing the rest of the game.

Add Comment