User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Crow - 7/10

Good sets, nice visuals, nice action, weak story.

As my wife put it, "What's the point? He can't bring her back. It's just one bad guy killing a bunch of other really bad guys."

I enjoyed it for the most part, but she does have a point.

• The story? Vengeance. One of the oldest stories ever written.

...just don't ask what the stories to the other Crow films are. You'll regret it.

• @Chyron8472 said:
    As my wife put it, "What's the point? He can't bring her back. It's just one bad guy killing a bunch of other really bad guys."

I enjoyed it for the most part, but she does have a point.

yeah. it's all about vengeance, really. i suppose one could argue they didn't get that concept deep enough in the story.

I just watched Tinker Tailor Solider Spy last night. I'll give it an 8/10. It was slowly paced but it did keep my attention. A very quiet and complicated sort of James Bond-esque movie.

• A View to a Kill. 4/10.

My GOD is this film bad. Roger Moore is at his absolute worst here, and he's lumbered with a script that makes him look downright incompetent (Stacy Sutton gets the drop on a secret agent?). The only person having any fun in Mr Walken, and he alone can't save this thing. It's just awful.

• @Darth Marsden said: A View to a Kill. 4/10.

My GOD is this film bad. Roger Moore is at his absolute worst here, and he's lumbered with a script that makes him look downright incompetent (Stacy Sutton gets the drop on a secret agent?). The only person having any fun in Mr Walken, and he alone can't save this thing. It's just awful.

This is one of my favourite Roger Moore Bond movies. Moonraker, Spy Who Loved Me, Octopussy, they're all so samey, this one's a bit weird and off-beat and has some great action sequences. Theme tune rules as well.

• I'd say the theme tune is the best thing about it, and I missed that, so I didn't see anything I'd call good!

I just posit that Roger Moore was a terrible Bond, given how he smugs his way through everything. For Your Eyes Only is the only one that really seemed to challenge him and got a half-decent performance out of him (the scene where he kicks the guy in the car off the cliff was uncharacteristically dark for Moore, and it was awesome as a result), and even then there's other things about the film that were problematic.

But I'm getting kinda off topic here. Let's wait for Ryan to make a James Bond thread and we'll discuss it there. :D

• @Darth Marsden said: But I'm getting kinda off topic here. Let's wait for Ryan to make a James Bond thread and we'll discuss it there. :D

Sorry Darth i hardly watch James Bond movies....But then again i am going to watch Skyfall so maybe i might if i like it.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I caught the Star Trek Movie marathon on Sci Fi, so...

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (9/10)
    Now I know why everyone likes this movie so much. Ricardo Montalbán was a great villain. His over-the-top attitude works because he was genetically engineered, genuinely believes that he is greater than human beings because of it, and he'll do anything to get his revenge on Kirk. I really liked the idea of the genesis device being both a source of life and a weapon. I also liked Kirk's son and his gradual acceptance of Kirk as his father after he saw how he responded to danger and then the loss that followed. And the scenes at the end were really touching. They actually brought tears to my eyes.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (8/10)
    I don't know why people don't like this movie. The return of Spock was handled well. I also thought the Klingons were the perfect enemies to want the Genesis device's destructive powers for their own. Christopher Lloyd was excellent as a villain too. You really felt for Kirk when he kicked him in the face and sent him into the lava after what he did to Kirk's son.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (9/10)
    Still my favorite of the original cast Trek movies. I love time travel stories, and this one was handled well. I liked the idea that other species might want to talk to other intelligent life on Earth than humans, and that the life-forms they were looking for were wiped out by human hunters in the past. The fish-out-of-water story of Kirk's crew in 1986 were great, and I loved how they used the fact that they had a Klingon ship instead of the Enterprise to great effect with the cloaking device.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (6/10)
    I can see why people don't like this one. It was OK, but it had the potential to be much better. I get why they had the shore leave scenes with Kirk, McCoy, and Spock, letting them bond and trying to get Spock to show his human side after he became unwilling to express that side after his Katra was returned to him in The Search for Spock. But it was drawn out. It would have been much more effective if they only had half of those scenes, and if the movie stopped after Spock played Row, Row, Row, Your Boat rather than having them sing it again at the closing. The stuff about finding God was definitely interesting, but his reveal was a bit long. They really didn't need all that blasting. One shot at Kirk would have been enough. It's not a bad movie. There is good hiding under it. However, there's too much filler in the theatrical cut for my taste. I might search for a fan edit to watch it again without the un-needed stuff and then re-evaluate.

Star Trek VIII: First Contact (9/10)
    My favorite film of the Next Generation crew. Like I said above, I love time travel stories, and this one is done just as well as The Voyage Home, albeit with a menacing villain rather than with humor. The Borg are definitely one of the best, if not the best, villain ever seen in Star Trek, so it's fitting that they'd be used in a movie. And they were used well. There were new facets introduced of the Borg, that I know a lot of fans didn't like, such as the Borg Queen, but I thought they worked well. It never bothered me to think that the Borg Queen might have been there all along (after all, the Borg are referred to as part of a hive mind, so a queen would make sense), or that Picard might have forgotten her after he was disconnected from the hive mind (it would make sense that they'd have some safety precautions put in place in the unlikely event that someone escaped the collective, and since the queen had never made herself known it would make sense she'd want the memories of her could be erased after disconnection). The Borg wanting to time travel makes sense too, as they'd surely assimilated a species capable of time travel, and after scanning Picard's memories would know about the tactics of him and his crew. They know that the Enterprise will always do the risky thing to save their species, so it would make sense they'd try to eliminate them from the equation.

I recorded Star Trek VI, but haven't watched it yet. I remember liking it a lot, but I haven't seen it in years, so my opinion might have changed.

• I feel the general idea of recasting the character of Alex Cross and their choice of actor are both a slap to the face.

• When it comes to Star Trek III, most people agree that of all the 'bad' Star Trek films, it's the best.

And when I think of Alex Cross, Tom Cruise is not who comes to mind. I am VERY nervous about this.
    Woah, I was thinking of something entirely different there. Sorry!

Add Comment