User Avatar Image

(PS3)Walking Dead EP.4 Save File(s) Corrupted

posted by Voorhees on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I was playing through Episode 4 on my first play-through. At 7:05pm CST my game was in the middle of a cutscene when it appeared to auto-save and then freeze. A window popped up and said "Save Data File Corrupted, Will Re-create". After I pressed X nothing happened so I was forced to hard restart my PS3. When I logged back into the game the same message appeared with the option to Press X. I did and when I was able to play again all 3 of my save files were deleted. Two were complete play-throughs up to Episode 3 and the third was complete up to Episode 2. I realize this is a probably a futile effort but I'd really like them back if possible. My PSN ID is Voorhees. Thanks.

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ryan_1 said: This was the message I had:
    Walking_Dead_Save_Data_Corrupted.jpg

It happened at the beginning of episode 4, when Kenny fell down. (For me it was on my second run)

I received the same message text, though I can't be sure of the number displayed. For me, it was my first run, and it happened as I was scouting out the harbor. Was walking toward the telescope when it froze, showed that message, and then, what everyone else described. Freeze never unfroze. Had to hard disco, restart. Said save files were corrupt, and had to recreate, and instead of just losing the one game, it seems to have wiped out all three games that I had saved.

• @MattP said: Hi guys,

I apologize for this issue. Investigating the cause is a top priority and I assure you we are doing everything we can to find a solution.

If someone can do me a favor and please post a screenshot of this message (or the exact text) in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Does this "investigation" also apply to other platforms ? Because, well.. if you didn't notice PC & XBox users also encounter this issue since a while.

That's one thing that you leave to unpaid volunteers the task of finding workarounds for YOUR customers so they can play the game. That's also one thing that in 24h you still didn't acknowledge there is download & save issues with the version YOU sell in YOUR own e-shop. But that would really be one thing that your support ressources would only go to a selected platform.

Please prove me wrong ?

• I had the same thing happen to me. "An Error Occurred During the Save Operation" followed by "Corrupt Save Data, Will Recreate" and a frozen game. Rebooted my PS3, all three of my save files are gone.

Guess who isn't buying season two, now?

• I have the same problem. Purchased my PS3 around a month when they first came out...I have the original version. Never have had a save error before till a day ago.

I was controlling Lee in the house on episode 4 when I walked up to examine the dog food bag it froze. Said that the save file was corrupted and would attempt to recreate. I hit X button hear beep then another beep and game froze. Waited 8 minutes and nothing so I power down PS3 and restart to find out all 3 of my saved games are gone. Yeah real unhappy about that...all that time and effort down the drain.

From the looks of these forums I'm not alone, and I expect more of these posts to pile up as well. Telltale I would suggest you take these posts seriously. Players will only replay through the game so many times...now with the knowledge that after playing through it again only to lose all data a second time means people will stop playing your game till a fix comes out.

Personally I wont purchase another episode or play the game till a fix is released.

• Same thing happened to me first day of release. I was playing it a second time around, as I always do, and I got to the harbor where you meet Molly and it went corrupt. A similar problem happened with episode 2 maybe it could be a recurring bug in the system. I just got up to episode 3 and I'm waiting for a patch until I continue. I was understanding with the episode 2 glitch because of the preassure of the fans ya'll were getting and I'll be understanding with this glitch I know you guys are just a small company, but ya'll have a hugely popular game of a well known franchise, I just hope you guys get everything refined and smooth with season two and the hard copy. I hope ya'll get a patch out ASAP I love this series and I refuse to give up on it. Maybe for compensation we can get a Chuck or Carly/Doug DLC.

• @Haliwood1 said: I received the same message text, though I can't be sure of the number displayed. For me, it was my first run, and it happened as I was scouting out the harbor. Was walking toward the telescope when it froze, showed that message, and then, what everyone else described. Freeze never unfroze. Had to hard disco, restart. Said save files were corrupt, and had to recreate, and instead of just losing the one game, it seems to have wiped out all three games that I had saved.

Not exactly sure of the text, but it's about the same for me. Mine was my first run through of Episode 4 and I was also scouting the harbor. I was walking towards the news stand and then the game froze. It said "Save Data Corrupt" and then it said "Will Recreate". It wouldn't unfreeze though, so I had to restart the PS3. When I booted up game the same messages popped up again, but it let me play. That's when I saw that all three games that I had saved were erased.

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. It looks like it's happening to people who had three different play throughs saved. What do you guys say?

• I have the EXACT same problem. I'm going through episode 4 for the first time, I approach the news stand at the harbor and I get... "save data corrupt. will recreate". the PS3 then freezes. I have to manually reboot the PS3 and now all my saved games are gone!

Thats hours of my time GONE. What kind of morons are working on this game that would allow this kind of bug to happen on a full release. Havent you guys heard of beta testing? Of course not, lazy programmers like you dont bother and just let the public at large be your beta testers without the common decency of letting us make the choice. Its pathetic that companies employ people of this caliber. If they were in my employ, they would not be in my employ.

• I was going to the jewspaper machine to get change when the game froze up. I wish we could get a TT group response again to know some progress.

• Same here. I just lost all my saves due to corruption in Episode 4, while walking backwards the stairs in the armory. I never had a problem before, but then same message as the other people here, the only thing I was able to do is confirm the message that my save files are going to be rebuilt. Next time I start the Game all my save slots were empty. WAY TO GO! GREAT FUCKUP TELLTALE !

Assuming that we can't recreate our save files, put out a patch that

1. solves this hangups.
    2. ensure that there are multiple Auto Saves being stored, so that in case this happens again we can simply just load the save before the corrupted one. (I have no idea how this was not included in the first place, must be just plain stupidity !!!)
    3. why the hell do all save file slots get deleted if one save gets corrupted??
    4. and finally put an option in, that let us start Episodes with choices that we can decide to make and not only random ones, so that we at least haven't wasted all the hours just to get these corrupted save files.

I am mad and hope their will be a solution to this game breaking problems.

• @MattP said: Hi guys,

I apologize for this issue. Investigating the cause is a top priority and I assure you we are doing everything we can to find a solution.

If someone can do me a favor and please post a screenshot of this message (or the exact text) in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

My exact situation was this. I already played through Episode 4 once, and then decided to play it again in a new file with different choices. I got so close to finishing it again, when the game froze as I was leaving the doctor's office to grab the tape off his dead body (for Christa and Vernon). I got, "Save Data Corrupted, attempting to recreate" and then the game froze. I finally had to restart it, and when I did the same message appeared. Now all of my save files are gone.

I already suffered through this when it first happened with the "2 complete saves and working on a third" situation after Episode 3 came out, and now I have to play it all AGAIN. In truth, I have plenty of time to do this before Episode 5 comes out, but I shouldn't have to. I love this game but I'm tired of these situations happening.

I don't think it'll make a difference, but I have the original PS3.

EDIT: To avoid any confusion, I got the same exact error message that was posted earlier. I also only had two saved files because I thought this wouldn't happen again if I didn't make a third save file like before. But nope, fooled again.

Add Comment