User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@matheusdonato said: yep

Do you have episode 2 or 3 installed and working?
    Also, which operating system are you running?

• windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)

• I tried this patch, was able to download it successfully, but: when I got to the last step to start the game and see if it still works normally... it's not. The game opens and I get the click to start button, but once I click the game freezes. It won't even go to the main menu. I have to ctrl + alt + delete, go to task magaer and end the program since I it says "not responding". I have even tried to restart the computer twice, and also run the game as admin, but still it freezes. Please help!

• @DjNDB said: For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

I have only tested this on one PC, so any feedback is appreciated.

- First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

- Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

- Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta
    and overwrite the files if they exist.

- Enable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom check the "read only" box).

- Start the game and download episodes

- Close the game

- Disable write protection for WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder (Right click on each file, select "properties". At the bottom uncheck the "read only" box).

- Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

- Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

THANK YOU!! IT FINALLY WORKS!!
    It's unbelievable that the solution has arrived from someone who does not work for Telltale Game Support.

Anyway, thank you sir!, good job!

• Thank you - it worked perfectly on Vista.

• It is currently downloading. Thanks so much.

For the person who is having the freezing issue, be sure to wait it out a bit. I thought mine was freezing a while back too but it works after about 15 seconds. Maybe the game connecting to the server or something.

• Did the patch- it finally will at least start downloading- but then it gets to the mid-forties percentage wise and then has a "connection error" and when I click "get" again, it starts off where if left off, and then after about 5 mins it falls to only 11-18% done.

The other episodes I downloaded would sometimes have connection errors too, but every time I clicked "get" afterwards it would start where it left off and then always continue upward- not fall back down.

I was so excited because I thought it was going to work :(

Also- a HUGE thank you for all of your efforts!

• puresholtz: I had the same problem downloading episode 3 because my phone line was wonky at the time. I EVENTUALLY got the game. Keep at it!

• Ploot- good to hear you had the same issue and it eventually worked! I'll keep plugging along. :)

This discussion has been closed.