User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • hey i already dl'd the files for episode 4 manually. will this be a problem? im trying you solution above and its downloading. not sure why because i already have the files. ill let u know if i run into any problems.

• I've tried all three options several times and I still get the connection problem!
    I hate to give up now because I love this game so much, but I can't get any satisfaction at all! HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@matheusdonato said: windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)

I just noticed that the path is different on Windows XP, and it even depends on the language of the operating system. Please check the updated instructions above.
    If that doesn't help check what i write below this.

@matheusdonato said: I've tried all three options several times and I still get the connection problem!
    I hate to give up now because I love this game so much, but I can't get any satisfaction at all! HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Please make sure that you are actually in the folder the game uses.
    You can tell by the date of the prefs.prop in the folder. If you start the game, it should change to the current date + time.

• Just checked it all and did it over again, still get the connection problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!

• I was able to play through the whole episode with no problems. This work-around should be good for most people. THANKS SO MUCH!

I hope Telltale does its job and helps the rest out.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@McGyver said: Just checked it all and did it over again, still get the connection problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!

If you followed the instructions exactly, i don't know why it would not work.

• I can confirm, that it does not work for me. I downloaded to 10% (before the patch), it starts from there (which is more than before the patch, where it always got connection errors) up until 30%, then I get a connection error and it starts again at 10%. I did this about 4 times, always the same problem. Ends at 30%, starts at 10%.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@ChemBro said: I can confirm, that it does not work for me. I downloaded to 10% (before the patch), it starts from there (which is more than before the patch, where it always got connection errors) up until 30%, then I get a connection error and it starts again at 10%. I did this about 4 times, always the same problem. Ends at 30%, starts at 10%.

It doesn't make the downloads more stable. It only helps from the connection instantly failing.

One more thing you can try is deleting the Temp files from:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Temp
    before you start the download with this workaround.

If that also fails, you can still try the alternative download options.

• Hi,

It's working !

Hundred thanks man !

• I already played Ep4 through (thanks to your alternative download links) but I wanted to know and checked this out. It works first try. So how in the world can TTG say that the problem is not on their side when obviously it is. Connection is all right an d download without a problem.

This is what TTG says:

We are aware that a small number of players are having trouble downloading Episode 4 on PC. We are currently investigating a solution to this issue and will update you when one is available.
    Until then, there are a few things you can do to avoid a connection failure message.
    Please ensure you have a strong internet connection and are logged into your Telltale account before attempting the download again.
    Also, try connecting to another available network or rebooting your modem/router.
    Furthermore, if you do encounter this problem after numerous attempts, please wait a short time before attempting the download again. Also shut down your computer before trying again.
    We do apologize for this issue. We know it is frustrating to encounter this error message, but please keep trying and Episode 4 will eventually download successfully.

Shame on you Telltale! None of the above did change a bit. With the solution from DjNDB ist worked with the first click. I really don't know WHO is the developer here!

DjNDB - you did (again) a great job. I am wondering however how your fix really works and why the download doesn't start without it....

This discussion has been closed.