User Avatar Image

So, About Ben...

posted by SabreNation on - last edited - Viewed by 265 users

Was there anyone else out there like me who has been saying again and again that they'd off that little bastard if they got a chance but then couldn't "pull the trigger" when the time came?

I know I've wanted to kill the little puke since Carly died (I had a hunch right away that he was behind the stolen stuff.) When he finally admitted it I REALLY wanted to kill him. Then the punk failed miserably at what should've been an easy task of watching after Clementine. I was so ready to kill him.

However, when the opportunity arose... I couldn't do it. I just couldn't bring myself to kill a person when the opportunity was there to save him.

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @isavedDoug said:
    I had suspicions before episode 4 came out, too. That Kenny will be the protagonist in the next season, it could work but it would be boring to see the same survivors again.

Well, it wouldn't be likely, I'm guessing. We already know who Kenny is, and how he reacts to certain events, Kenny would be ruined as a character if it we could choose what he wants to say or do.the fun thing about Kenny an Lilly is that we never knew for sure what they'd do.

• @LokiHavok said: Everyone came with me with no convincing. I had been a pretty reasonable and pragmatic guy throughout the season.

Well except to Ben. I really couldn't forgive a betrayal like his first.
    I mean seriously. We invite him into the group. Give him shelter.
    And what little food we have. And he gives our precious medicines to a group of hostile bandits out of sheer spinelessness. I mean that's pretty deserving of death right there.

What I don't understand is why you guys would choose to save someone like that. He's the worst type of person. Reserved for the lowest circles of Hell.
    Where Judas and Brutus reside. He's a traitor!

It depends how deeply you think "betrayal" goes, in my opinion, he's far from a traitor, it's indicated that the bandits were attacking the motel a lot prior to episode 3, Ben was tricked into thinking they had his friend, then he got threatened shortly after.

I actually like the Ben character to be honest...

It shows what teenagers like him would actually do in the apocalypse... I hear a lot of people saying "I'm going to have a small outpost with loads of food, sniping zombies 24/7 as they walk by."

I say that's complete bullshit, it's like suddenly they think they have military experience with rifle training and can hunt for food with ease...

• It shows what teenagers like him would actually do in the apocalypse... I hear a lot of people saying "I'm going to have a small outpost with loads of food, sniping zombies 24/7 as they walk by."

I think Ben could have been like that. Joking about what he would do in a ZA with his friends. Now there actually is one, and he's watched them all get killed or die, he doesn't know what to do. Though he is trying to help.

• @rachellouise85 said: I think Ben could have been like that. Joking about what he would do in a ZA with his friends. Now there actually is one, and he's watched them all get killed or die, he doesn't know what to do. Though he is trying to help.

It would've been even funnier if he was discussing that with Travis a minute before walkers burst through the door, too.

• @Ghositex said: You didn't kill him because you're smart. Smart people don't kill other people just because they "don't like him". Congratulations, you have a little humanity left.

Actually that's incorrect. I don't think saving Ben has anything to do with being intelligent. If you look at it objectively, you can see that Ben really has nothing positive to offer and is a giant liability. It's not logic that dictates that you save him, it's emotion.

• I was never mad at him and I was hoping I could save Ben when the time came. Me being around his age I can understand how scared he could be so I can sort of relate to him. He was only trying to help the group by giving supplies to the bandits and for me Doug jumped in front of Lily's shot to save Ben because if you have Doug Lily tries to shoot Ben instead.

• @skepticalguy90 said: Actually that's incorrect. I don't think saving Ben has anything to do with being intelligent. If you look at it objectively, you can see that Ben really has nothing positive to offer and is a giant liability. It's not logic that dictates that you save him, it's emotion.

Yeah, I couldn't find the words for it earlier... Lets just leave it as 'emotional intelligence'

• Given the choice, I didn't "let" Larry die, despite being a maliciously ugly person, so I definitely did not "let" Ben die just for being dumb.

• Am I the only one who doesn't like Kenny? ;)

In fact, at the end of the fourth episode, I finally had Lee go off on him. I always felt he was a character that only cared about himself and his needs. Even in the first episode when you have to choose between saving Duck or Sean...my gut was to go with Sean. Nothing was keeping Duck on the tractor, he wasn't stuck just scared, and his parents were nearby. Sean however was trapped under the tractor, due to Duck's actions. Kenny blames Lee for this, for not helping his boy. When they arrive in Macon, and you try to calm everyone down and convince them that Duck isn't bitten...Kenny blames you for not sticking up for his kid enough. In my game, his wife even tries to explain his angry behavior several times, by always saying "He means well..."

To me, he doesn't mean well, he's just a jerk. Nothing you do will ever be enough for him. I even took care of Duck for him (although Episode 4 claims I made him do it), and he still treats Lee like crap.

At the end of Episode 4, I chose the angry option, and he's the only one who didn't accompany Lee to find Clem (even after showing them the bite).

I realize maybe there are choices that make Kenny more of a friend to Lee, but sheesh. Not in my game. ;)

• Yep.

I wrote about it in some other thread, but basically I think that the creators kind of subconsciously manipulated my emotions with all that talk about Crawford killing off it's weak members.

Add Comment