User Avatar Image

You know what? I'm sick of this.

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 681 users

All these people here who go around saying "all I care about is survival" and "I hope this guy dies and I don"t care" and other things like, just, fuck 'em.
On the TV show, Dale's death hit me so goddamn hard. "Losing our humanity, that's a choice". When Dale died, those words really drove home with me. So you know what? I'm nice to everyone. I save everyone. I care about everyone. and I'll be damned if I'm going to turn into fucking Shane Walsh(asshole) and drop a salt lick on a living man's head, kill a man after I broke his entire life, Force a man to shoot his own son, agree with a crazed bitch, or let Ben die because of fucking goddamn Kenny. I'm sick of Kenny. Ben does not deserve to die. And I'll kill off every walker in America before I let Doug die for nothing. I'm done with this "Survival of the fittest" shit. We keep our humanity.

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I try to keep my humanity when I can in this game, but if it looks like someone has to die for the good of the group they can kiss their ass goodbye. I won't let others be killed needlessly just so I can feel good about myself.

• @Demopan said: All these people here who go around saying "all I care about is survival" and "I hope this guy dies and I don"t care" and other things like, just, fuck 'em.
    On the TV show, Dale's death hit me so goddamn hard. "Losing our humanity, that's a choice". When Dale died, those words really drove home with me. So you know what? I'm nice to everyone. I save everyone. I care about everyone. and I'll be damned if I'm going to turn into fucking Shane Walsh(asshole) and drop a salt lick on a living man's head, kill a man after I broke his entire life, Force a man to shoot his own son, agree with a crazed bitch, or let Ben die because of fucking goddamn Kenny. I'm sick of Kenny. Ben does not deserve to die. And I'll kill off every walker in America before I let Doug die for nothing. I'm done with this "Survival of the fittest" shit. We keep our humanity.

There you go.

• @Motordead said: If you're willing to kill another man to preserve your humanity, do you have any humanity left to preserve?

What if Kenny was choking Ben to death, and the only option would be to kill Kenny to save Ben's life. What would you do?

Honestly, I would have let Kenny do it. Reason why? Because Ben really did kill Kenny's family. In fact Ben has nearly gotten the group killed several times, and Ben isn't learning very fast. That kind of endless stupidity cannot continue forever because you can't watch Ben 24/7 to make sure he doesn't do something to get everyone killed. If he doesn't smarten up on the quick, he needs to be cut loose.

A mistake here and there, sure. But all of Ben's mistakes have been life or death. You have to think about it in different terms. You have to think about how every decision might hurt or kill someone. Each decision needs to be weighed. There is no room for carelessness. And Clementine has more smarts than Ben does. Ben is an idiot.

A strong group is necessary, you need to rely on everyone doing their job. That takes trust. Ben weakens the group. It's one thing to protect the group from outside elements. It's another to try and protect from both outside and inside elements. You are fighting two battles, and the inside element (Ben) is much more damaging because it further weakens the group. Every time the group dynamic breaks down into arguing, the group is vulnerable and exposed.

That said my Lee saved him, because that's who he is.

• @Rock114 said: I try to keep my humanity when I can in this game, but if it looks like someone has to die for the good of the group they can kiss their ass goodbye. I won't let others be killed needlessly just so I can feel good about myself.

And you shouldn't.

You have to pick and choose.

This is why, for me, Ben got to live and that girl in Macon (ep 3) got to be a distraction.

Save the ones you can, and don't cry over the ones you can't.

• Again I need to voice my opinion that Ben did not directly kill Doug, Carly or katjja although his actions could have resulted in their deaths (most profoundly Carly's death).

If that group assualted us earlier if Ben wasn't giving them supplies, it all could have played out very similar minus Carly's death IMO.

Of course one always picks the welfare of the whole over the individual in most survival situations but you cannot lose your humanity or you already lost since that is what separates us from the beasts and the walkers.

• @Rock114 said: I try to keep my humanity when I can in this game, but if it looks like someone has to die for the good of the group they can kiss their ass goodbye. I won't let others be killed needlessly just so I can feel good about myself.[QUOTE=DreadMagus;697433]And you shouldn't.

You have to pick and choose.

This is why, for me, Ben got to live and that girl in Macon (ep 3) got to be a distraction.

Save the ones you can, and don't cry over the ones you can't.

[/QUOTE]
    I desperately tried to stay morally correct on all the episodes of my canon game(not replaying choices ever) and still it became more and more difficult to achieve. I defended Duck, saved Carley (but actually only because I was overwhelmed and accidentally clicked on her purse - so yeah, TTG had me there for the first time already), I didn't steal from the car, because I personally was sure we could do without it, I killed Danny out of anger, I beat up Andy to his near death.

I always felt like doing the right thing, but the choices started to blur... beating someone to his near death with my bare hands, killing someone trapped in a bear trap in cold blood? Where am I heading... and I really asked myself.

I jumped at Chuck for telling me how to deal with Clem, even though he was right and beat the crap out of Kenny for being in denial about Duck's imminent death. I became more and more temperamental and felt caught at more and more occasions.

Episode 4 now was a different thing. I had accepted the impossibilties to save others, I was shown just how little I was able to teach that little girl, given that I was going by our RL society... and suddenly every decision I made felt wrong.

And then came Ben... dangeling on Lee's wrist... I decided I will not change who I was, and won't submit to what my Lee has become. I pulled him up... and now - it feels wrong.

In the end there was Kenny, saying he was unable to come, wanting me to beg. That's when I finally snapped, telling him to fuck off! The first decision in a long time that felt good!

Choices might not matter to everyone on these forums... for me they do. A great game! :)

• You're definitely right there. They've made a masterpiece.

I've read it's getting a disc once the last episode is out... if it's true, I'm definitely getting it.

• @DreadMagus said: You're definitely right there. They've made a masterpiece.

I've read it's getting a disc once the last episode is out... if it's true, I'm definitely getting it.

they ought to include more then just the five episodes on the disc like commentarys or alternate endings or a cutscene film viewer based on your decisions

• @Motordead said: If you're willing to kill another man to preserve your humanity, do you have any humanity left to preserve?

What if Kenny was choking Ben to death, and the only option would be to kill Kenny to save Ben's life. What would you do?

The first question is badly framed. Moral situations are rarely paradoxical, and often require a fair amount of detail.

As ofr the second, it's an unlikely scenario. Am I behind an unclimable fence through which I can shoot? Is it certain Ben is dying? How clear is Ben's culupability for the deaths he feels guilt over?

Have I told Ben how much danger he's putting himself in by telling Kenny what he did (and what was that, exactly?)? If yes, then he's taking responsibility for his actions, and by killing Kenny here I'd be supporting Ben's decsision to tell him, something I had previously and completely opposed.

In TWD, the game, we're living in a world where it can be the height of irresponsibility and complicity in murder not to execute another human being. It may be right to let Ben accept the consequences of his decision to tell Kenny. After all, Ben presumably wants to be punished. He wanted me to drop him during our narrow escape, but DIDN'T HAVE THE GUTS to simply jump down into the pack of walkers. He's the kind of guy who commits suicide by cop, letting some poor bastard take the guilt for his death because he doesn't have the courage of his own convictions.

If he simply wants to come clean, why not leave Kenny a letter of confession to find after Ben has left the group? It's clear Ben wants to be punished. Why should I interfere at this point? If I kill Kenny, talk about enabling a drama queen!

Add Comment