User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@searls said: Disappointed, because following all the suggested steps in this thread (both in the OP and to delete temp files) didn't work at all for me. Still get an instafail.

I numbered the steps, so it's easier to talk about them.
    @searls said:
    5. Start the game and download episodes

6. Close the game

Please proceed to step 6 again.

Then check if the folder
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Data\WalkingDead101PatchFs
    is empty.
    If it is not, something went wrong. Please delete the files inside.

Also make sure, that the WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json in the Meta folder are still read-only, and their file size is 0.

Then continue at step 7.

• Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the unoficial solution. It sure worked for me, and thanks to you I managed to play the complete episode. I did the manual donwload, and although at first it didn't seem to work, I restarted the computer and launched the game and finally the episode appeared as installed. I could then start playing!

Once again, thank you! We're so lucky to have people willing to help when Telltale Games ignores us.

• Many thanks. Linux Wine user here who was puzzled a while thinking it would be a regression with wine. Just tried your workaround of this issue and working like a charm. Compared to the current TTG feedback this is a real help.

• @DjNDB said: For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

This seems to work for me. I can now download the episode. You deserve a goddamn medal, my good sir. :)

• @matheusdonato said: windows XP
    ive played 2 and 3...
    let me try to explain a bit more.
    i opened ttg folder, and i couldnt find any data refering to eps 2 and 3... but when i run the game, my saves are ok.
    i dont know if that info helps anything but...
    thx anyway :)

Following up on this guys issue. I'm experiencing the same thing, no SyncFs folder.
    Within The Walking Dead lies a folder "Game Data" and the uninstall option.
    Within the Game Data folder is a folder "Pack", something called fmodex.dll, and WalkingDead101 (which I assume is the game itself).
    Within the Pack folder is another folder named "Default", and inside that are 13 TTARCH files, varying from shaders, to patches, to language settings.

I'm unsure if this helps in the slightest, but maybe if you know which things I've downloaded from TT, it would help in some way.

I run on vista, I bought the game directly from the site, and have downloaded all three prior episodes no problem within the client itself, and boy I tell you did I rush home when I heard episode four was out!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@gibs said: Following up on this guys issue. I'm experiencing the same thing, no SyncFs folder.
    Within The Walking Dead lies a folder "Game Data" and the uninstall option.
    Within the Game Data folder is a folder "Pack", something called fmodex.dll, and WalkingDead101 (which I assume is the game itself).
    Within the Pack folder is another folder named "Default", and inside that are 13 TTARCH files, varying from shaders, to patches, to language settings.

That sounds like you are looking in the install folder instead of the one i posted.
    What do you see if you copy
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    into the URL field of windows explorer and press enter?
    It should resolve to something like
    C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

• Keeps failing for me at 20% then goes back down to 10% when i retry. then just goes in a cycle :(

• @DjNDB said: That sounds like you are looking in the install folder instead of the one i posted.
    What do you see if you copy
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    into the URL field of windows explorer and press enter?
    It should resolve to something like
    C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Turns out it is, you know the other guy probably did the same as I. I have two hard drives on my computer, it's installed on one, I ended up finding the rest due to you. I found the folder and feel like a fool, going to test this patch out and will return to praise you if success.

Thought I'd mention, those who aren't savvy do usually make stupid mistakes, happens in all fields.

• Thank you DjNDB for finding this solution, you're awesome.
    No thank you to Telltale games; you still suck.

• DjNDB is a champion and a hero to all. We shall sing praises and worship him on our carefree days, and call upon him on our darkest night! Yes it worked, thanks man!

This discussion has been closed.