User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is great, it worked!

One thing that confused me for a second though is that for me, your zip contained a single file which is actually another zip file but without .zip in the filename. People need to first extract this, rename it to add the .zip on the end and extract it to get the 2 files. They're just empty files but useful to have!

• Great Fix, Thank you!

I at first did not think it worked, until I realized I wasn't going to the correct file. Windows people, make sure you go under your username files!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Eiden said: One thing that confused me for a second though is that for me, your zip contained a single file which is actually another zip file but without .zip in the filename. People need to first extract this, rename it to add the .zip on the end and extract it to get the 2 files. They're just empty files but useful to have!

I heard that once before for .zip forum attachments. As far as i have heard it is only an issue with internet explorer 8.

• Uninstalled game again (for the tenth time), followed procedure to the letter and at least i'm getting it to dl ep2! Will let you know if it works this time.

• @DjNDB said: It doesn't make the downloads more stable. It only helps from the connection instantly failing.

One more thing you can try is deleting the Temp files from:
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Temp
    before you start the download with this workaround.

I did that, still the 10%/30% problem. I'll try the alternative...

• User Avatar Image
    dx1

Yay, it worked. Saves are intact and my previous on The Walking Dead scenes are correct. Thank you so much.

• Thank you for the ability to download episode 4. My last save game was after completion of episode 2. I had many disconnects downloading both episode 3 & 4.

I start a game with episode 3 and play until after the second autosave. I exit the game and restart, and it doesn't even think I downloaded episodes 2-4. Remembering the fiasco about the prefs.prop file and it's 2 locations being the install loc and my username, I find it insists on writing to the install location.

I copy my original prefs.prop to the install location and restart the game again. I again have to restart episode 3. After the second autosave, i exit and restart the game.

And guess what? It doesn't even know I played until the second autosave. This repeats every time I try to play this game. I have had to watch the recap of episode 2 and begin of episode 3 six times now.

I will continue trying to find an answer on these forums, but I am very close to requesting a refund. This is the last Telltale game I will ever buy.

Ok, I seem to have it working now.

I had 2 playthroughs in 2 save slots. I backed everything up and created 2 different sets of prefs.prop and save games for each playthrough. I deleted 1 of the playthroughs in each set for each particular playthrough. So, I have 2 sets of files and copy them to proper directories depending on which I want to play.

One playthrough runs fine with the prefs.prop file on the actual install location; it reads and writes to that file. The other playthrough reads from the install location, but, then writes to the user directory where the save files are. After quitting, I have to manually copy the prefs.prop file from the user folder into the install directory.

This is now working for me, but, is ridiculous. Telltale games needs to hire new programmers before they lose all of their customers.

• @franleiman said: THANK YOU!! IT FINALLY WORKS!!
    It's unbelievable that the solution has arrived from someone who does not work for Telltale Game Support.

Anyway, thank you sir!, good job!

Same for me

Thanks a lot to DjNDB!! :)

Anyway I'm still disappointed with TT support, which has been unexisting in this case :(

C'mon TT, this kind of things should not happen again

TWD is maybe your best game (for me it is for sure) and a big seller, so it needs more technical quality and more support is something goes wrong

• DjNDB, I thank you for your assistance. Like many other people, even with the patch, I still have to reconnect to restart the download every 7-15%. Then I have lost a few percentages as well by having to reconnect

Do I need to do anything with the back up that made with the saved games? Did I miss a step?

Even with your help, all this hassle does not reflect well on Telltale Games.

****EDIT *** I take that back, I get to 17% and it disconnects and kicks me back to 10%. Or, at least it has 3 times so far :(

Somebody remind me why I am doing this again?

This discussion has been closed.