User Avatar Image

Am I the only person who wouldn't "keep moving"? (Some spoilers)

posted by aguyuno on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I'm not gonna bother "tagging" spoilers in here, because I'll likely end up accidentally leaving one in there and people will get mad. Just know that there ARE some.

The thing that's always bugged me about the walking dead series, and really most zombie apocalypse things, is people find a group of people... but then never sit still with it. Why? There's no reason to keep moving. Find a town, buckle down and then clear that shit out.

In the comics, Rick tries that at one point with a prison. It ends badly for reasons I won't go into, but he still tries - It was a good idea. But clearly this isn't the only route to go by. Look at Crawford - They survived for AGES until one crazy pregnant woman went on a shooting spree through the town. And really, as long as you don't try to implement any idiotic "no children, or sick, etc" rules, thereby ensuring that your people only survive one generation, you shouldn't have this problem.

The dead have huge numbers, but beyond that they're slow and stupid. Get your group together with some bladed weapons, clear out a small patch of town (preferably somewhere with a building you can fortify that is big enough to house a lot of people, like a hospital [bonus if it still has beds and/or medicine]), and then push outwards from there. Will the dead ultimately try to push you out? Yes. But that's why you keep fighting.

I don't understand the concept of constantly moving from one place to the next. Why? The only thing that could EVER accomplish is finding new people, and let's be honest - that's not always a good thing. No, the best plan of attack in a situation like this is to REBUILD. If you die trying? Fine. At least you died taking a bunch of zombies with you. But truly, I don't think you will. If your group has at least, let's say 5 or more people with you, you should be fine for at least a while. And once you get yourself set in, people WILL find _you_. And if they don't? Send out scouts, find some. Place flyers around the place, who cares?

Anyway. That's just my rant here. Thoughts, anyone?

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @aguyuno said: Agreed. But you likely aren't gonna START with a "few hundred". As much as I've always been confused as to why it is you seem to only ever see "small" groups in zombie apocalypses (were really THAT many people stupid enough to get eaten by slow moving corpses?!), going by that example you'll have to start small. But that's why I'm saying YOU have to start small. And then let people come to you.

I agree though, it'd be hard. That's a given. But hell, I'd prefer it over just moving everywhere pretending that this life solves anything.

You missing a point though, what you propose requires a few things.. a fantastic leader, a workable plan, resources, knowledge and a stable environment.... the bodies are just needed to make it happen.

Without all of those things, rebuilding isn't possible.

You need a leader who can keep people in line, focused and maintain morale.

You need a plan that sounds more than a pipedream in the face of the "end of the world"

It takes resources, even scavenged, to build with..... fuel, food, building materials, guns, ammo, clothing.

Knowledge is essential. You need knowledge of building, maintaining modern equipment (if you can keep it running) growing food, medicine, etc, etc.

Finally, you need a stable environment.... that means a zombie free area... that's also defensible against human enemies as well.

Also, about your point about "people stupid enough to get eaten by slow moving corpses"... keep in mind that anyone who dies becomes a walker.... and the higher the population density... the more there will be.

More walkers, in smaller cramped areas (like a city) makes for a VERY hostile environment.

• @aguyuno said: Snake - I'm not fully caught up in the comics yet so I didn't read your whole post, but I got the jist of it. And in the end, I do agree with you. Totally. But I'd still TRY. It's the driving around constantly and _not_ doing that I don't get.

But who has been doing that? In the Walking Dead that is never the case.

They are ALWAYS trying to find some place. The characters in the game haven't been just driving aimlessly with no cause. They have a plan. An awful plan, but they have a goal to where they are going.

In the comic, Rick has always made it a priority to find some place where his family is safe. A place where they can be safe and start to build some semblance of a life together.

• @Snake Liquid said: But who has been doing that? In the Walking Dead that is never the case.

They are ALWAYS trying to find some place. The characters in the game haven't been just driving aimlessly with no cause. They have a plan. An awful plan, but they have a goal to where they are going.

In the comic, Rick has always made it a priority to find some place where his family is safe. A place where they can be safe and start to build some semblance of a life together.

I don't agree with that necessarily@Rick. If that were true, he'd have taken the farm by force and not just walked out because Herschel got butt hurt. I think he's generally done the "right thing" for his family but ultimately, it seems they do a lot more travelling than they should.

And an awful plan is right. "Oh we'll just get on a boat". Yeah guys good idea. I'm sure this shit definitely isn't EVERYWHERE, hence the mass rescue effort. Right?

• @aguyuno said:
    And an awful plan is right. "Oh we'll just get on a boat". Yeah guys good idea. I'm sure this shit definitely isn't EVERYWHERE, hence the mass rescue effort. Right?

Exactly. Plus the fact that they don't have any ideas of what they are doing after they get out on the water. Where are they going? Are they just going to sail out and live on the ocean? Impossible. Are they going to just sail and try and find an island? Probably not. Are they going to just ride up the coast and look at the shore line and if they see walkers or destruction keep on moving? Well fuel is certainly a limited resource.

I just can't see the validity in this plan that Kenny is so adamant about. They have no goal other than "finding a boat and getting out on the water." After that... what? Success? Good job, there are no more threats? The walker threat and having no supplies just goes away?

• @Snake Liquid said: Exactly. Plus the fact that they don't have any ideas of what they are doing after they get out on the water. Where are they going? Are they just going to sail out and live on the ocean? Impossible. Are they going to just sail and try and find an island? Probably not. Are they going to just ride up the coast and look at the shore line and if they see walkers or destruction keep on moving? Well fuel is certainly a limited resource.

I just can't see the validity in this plan that Kenny is so adamant about. They have no goal other than "finding a boat and getting out on the water." After that... what? Success? Good job, there are no more threats? The walker threat and having no supplies just goes away?

Yeah pretty much. And seriously, I'm sorry but a guy loses his wife and kid like that in rapid succession, and the first thing I'm NOT doing? Taking any of his plans seriously. I know that sounds awful, but the dude is NOT gonna be thinking right after that, and this hilarious ass plan is proof positive of that. Yes he sort of always had the plan but he wasn't as tunnel visioned before. Now it honestly sounds like his suicide plan to me.

• @aguyuno said: Find a park and start planting things. I'm sure a nearby grocery would have some seeds of some sort if you want to clear it out, and I doubt people would take that because why would they? They're all going for small time fixes.

I would disagree here, how many parks are safe enough to plant crops in and be sustainable with water? What region of the world are we in? Does it rain, is it mostly dry? I see alot of issues with middle city life, yes I'd take what seeds were left and fruits and veggies in hopes of planting new crops, but in a city?? Not on your life or mine.

Now if we are talking about moving to the outskirts of a city yes, I'd fortify a place and plant...again the climate and region would dictate where I settle down for numerous reasons. You would not find me in a city after I made it out.

• @Demonseed said: I would disagree here, how many parks are safe enough to plant crops in and be sustainable with water? What region of the world are we in? Does it rain, is it mostly dry? I see alot of issues with middle city life, yes I'd take what seeds were left and fruits and veggies in hopes of planting new crops, but in a city?? Not on your life or mine.

Now if we are talking about moving to the outskirts of a city yes, I'd fortify a place and plant...again the climate and region would dictate where I settle down for numerous reasons. You would not find me in a city after I made it out.

I actually live in Hamburg(Germany), which is the greenest city in europe, considering squaremeters per citizen(Barcelona wins by plain squaremeters). It would be easy to plant stuff here, even though we have around 2.000.000 people around... but be honest... who knows how to do it? I have been working as a chef for almost 20 years now - and honestly... I don't have a clue! :confused:

• I think you have to almost wait them out. Eventually you want to settle down and start a subsistence type farming and just survive. However, places that are conducive to farming crops are not going to be conducive to safety. It'd be hard to keep the whole property secure. I think you'd have to wait at least a year for the walkers to start rotting and the seasons to take their toll before you start settling down.

• As you've probably already noticed, the common thing between the prison, the motel, the crawford etc. Is it is not the dead that are the problem. More often than not in TWD, it is the living that cause greater problems, and pose a bigger threat than the dead.

• yeah, I was thinking it would be a good idea to go back to Crawford and just clear the place out
    1. Its already fortified (probably some holes to fill, but most of the work is done)
    2. They were the biggest bandit threat in the region, its likely they wiped out any other major threats in the region, so not many people to worry about.
    3. Its already filled with supplies (even if the armory is empty, there should be guns lying around on dead bodies everywhere, + plenty of gas and working cars)

As for why do people keep moving, it depends on the situation, a lot of the time people have objectives, like Resident Evil, theres always some sinister time limit or someone is in danger and you have to get to them ASAP. In the living dead series, people actually hunker down as much as possible, like the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. In Night of the Living Dead, the radio and TV announcements urges people to get to safe zones and out of their homes, thats why they wanted to move.

Generally theres 3 main reasons:
    1. Finding loved ones.
    2. Getting to somewhere safer.
    3. Raiding supplies from town to town.

Now, in the game so far, you were at Hershel's farm with nowhere to go, so you went to Macon where your family is. You find out their fate and hunker down. Ep.2 you find a potentially safer area with more food, so you check it out. In Ep.3 your sanctuary is destroyed, so you have to leave.

In the short term, you could just find another area to settle in, but what about in 5 years when all your canned goods expire? Youre going to need to produce more food, thats why getting to an island gives you freedom to hunt, fish and plant new crops (assuming you find an island large enough). I think thats the idea with that.

In the case of where you are right now in the game, settling down in the house in Savannah is illogical, as theres no supplies there and even though its fortified, that house certainly isnt impenetrable.

Add Comment