User Avatar Image

Pokémon: The Thread

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 928 users
27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    @Shadowknight1 said: Amazing? Not really. Just by playing around with this, you could create an ungodly team. It's neat, but I personally prefer my teams that I've raised in HeartGold.

    Ditto. Something about the blood/sweat/tears of catching and raising my Pokeymans is the bigger fin. Battling is just the showing off portion.

    EDIT: also, DAT CROSS-STICH.

  • @Shadowknight1 said: Amazing? Not really. Just by playing around with this, you could create an ungodly team. It's neat, but I personally prefer my teams that I've raised in HeartGold.

    @Shadowknight1 said: Ditto. Something about the blood/sweat/tears of catching and raising my Pokeymans is the bigger fin.

    You could use it to exactly remake the team you had in the games, would be MUCH easier to get a match going than digging out your DS stuff.

    @Shadowknight1 said: Battling is just the showing off portion.

    I don't really have any nice way to say this that doesn't also make me sound like some kind of elitist nerd, but...you're quite wrong. Competitive Pokemon battling is a thing, and actually has an amazing amount of strategy involved.

  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    @RingmasterJ5 said: I don't really have any nice way to say this that doesn't also make me sound like some kind of elitist nerd, but...you're quite wrong. Competitive Pokemon battling is a thing, and actually has an amazing amount of strategy involved.

    Oh I know, trust me. I used to competitive battle. I just actually prefer to level 'e,m up the slow and hard way. I don't feel like I've earned it otherwise.

  • @divisionten said: Oh I know, trust me. I used to competitive battle. I just actually prefer to level 'e,m up the slow and hard way. I don't feel like I've earned it otherwise.

    Ah. Personally, I don't think I could go back to normal Pokemon after competitive battling for as long as I have. I just know I'd want to find this one obscure move I'd have to go to great, impossible lengths to get on the specific Pokemon I'd want it on.

    But, seriously, I don't think there's been a single (recent) Pokemon game where everything is accessible with just your purchase of the game, and nothing else. Now we have the Dream World, that 3DS AR game, special limited events to download Legendaries, and that Pokemeter thing. I competitively battle because everything's already there.

  • @RingmasterJ5 said: You could use it to exactly remake the team you had in the games, would be MUCH easier to get a match going than digging out your DS stuff.

    Except that in order to remake your team, you have to dig out your DS stuff.

    Again, this program is nice and all, but you could easily max out everything and just roll over everything in your path.

    EDIT: Just tried out a team composed of Pokemon from Black & White...boring. Boring, boring, boring. They could at least have some sound effects and animations. Won't be doing it again. All I'll use it for is to decide on what Pokemon I want in my team for those games when I get around to getting one of them.

  • Entirely independant of this thread, I've gotten an urge to get back to playing Pokemon (I tend to play very actively for a month, then suddenly lose interest and return a few months later to repeat). I've been trying to hold it off so I will have White 2 during the next splurge, but I don't know if I'll be able to. (this was caused entirely by being reminded Shuppet exists because I want to try using one on my next playthrough of RSE)

    Also, if none of you were aware: Real gym badges! I'd love to get a Gen II set if they were a bit less expensive.

  • @Shadowknight1 said:
    Again, this program is nice and all, but you could easily max out everything and just roll over everything in your path.

    That's... not how it goes. At all.

    @Shadowknight1 said: Boring, boring, boring.

    Okay, today I learned that I should never introduce this program to people who apparently play Pokemon for the training, not the strategy. I'll just...be going, now.

  • @RingmasterJ5 said: Okay, today I learned that I should never introduce this program to people who apparently play Pokemon for the training, not the strategy. I'll just...be going, now.

    The strategy of it isn't what was boring to me, what bored me was the lack of care to the actual battles. No visual or sound effects and all the normal pop-ups occur in a chat-like window. That doesn't feel like Pokemon to me. If you like it, great. It's just not my particular cup of tea.

    However, I do want to thank you for introducing me to the program, I was able to look and see what kind of team I'd like to build in Black/White whenever I get around to getting one of them.

  • Totally reminds me, Johto Gym Leaders from Gold/Silver or HeartGold/SoulSilver have my favourite battle music...

    It sounds especially tense when fighting Miltank. Somehow, in HG/SS they managed to make Miltank more annoying than in G/S... I mean, I had some problems defeating Miltank in G/S, yeah... but in HG/SS... it was just... F**********************************************************************************************K!

  • Question guys. Trainers will occasionally call to give you an evolutionary stone. Will they give out more than one, ie. School Kid Alan giving two Fire Stones?

Add Comment