User Avatar Image

Disney!

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Everyone loves Disney right? OF COURSE I AM RIGHT. So heres a thread (Im not calling the title "the Disney thread" cos that's just stupid am I right!)

So anyway my fave Disney movies are Lion King Aladdin and Sleeping Beauty all epic journeys with epic villians and memorable protagonists (the 3 fairy's are the protagonist in Sleeping Beauty not the price or princess and they are memroble). I also love Fantasia and there TV cartoons I also love Disney merchendice just wish it wasnt expensive as holy hell.

So what's your fave disney movies and what do you love and hate about it?

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

It's kind of a shame that The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company are usually overlooked by most people as the "Disney Renaissance" was said to start with The Little Mermaid.

Personally, I'd say it started with The Great Mouse Detective, as that was the movie where Disney started going back to Walt Disney's desire to push the technology forward while keeping the story solid. The Great Mouse Detective was the first Disney movie to combine moving 3-dimensional objects made from computer imaging software with hand drawn animation (not counting John Lasseter's Where the Wild Things Are pitch, which was brilliant and it's a shame it never got made into an animated feature).

• I saw The Great Mouse Detective. It's decent, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc.

• @Chyron8472 said: dOH4O.png

Amazon never get that right. Its best to ignore that and do your own googling to see if you can watch it in your region. Seriously the amount of times iv found out there wrong and I can play it even in the reviews of some things ppl take piss out of them for that.

Took me awhile but I found out it is in ABC format.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: I saw The Great Mouse Detective. It's decent, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc.

The Rescuers Down Under is considered part of the Disney Renaissance. The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company are easily as good as that one.

• People don't argue for Great Mouse Detective as being as good as Beauty and the Beast but to ignore the fact that Beauty wouldn't exist without Mouse Detective is to ignore how Disney history was a scaffolding process, and Detective was an important step.

• The Great Mouse Detective was instrumental in rebuilding Disney's trust in movie-making.

The 'failure' of The Black Cauldron was pretty off-putting to the bigwigs, but thanks to The Great Mouse Detective being a hit, Disney went on to make films like The Little Mermaid, which kickstarted the Disney Renaissance and turned the company into the massive success it is today. So yeah, TGMD is a pretty important film.

• I'm not arguing that.

"Important for the Disney brand" is one thing.

Quality of the story, memorability/catchiness of the music, and interest in the characters (esp. as compared to the Renaissance-era movies) is something else. EDIT: Oh... wiki says that The Great Mouse Detective competed almost directly with An American Tail. That's why it's been overlooked.

I like An American Tail.

• I do to. I prefer TGMD though.

• On this one I'll go with American Tail. I'm a big fan of Don Bluth's style.

Add Comment