430 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes, and it makes me wonder. Is this BEFORE The Avengers? And if it's after...HOW?!

• Life Model Decoy.

And then every episode a new Life Model Decoy dies in a new and creative way.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I neither know nor care as to how. All I know is I couldn't stop smiling for an hour after I found this out.

But, to put some thought into it...

A Life Model Decoy seems a little too sci-fi to throw at the audience. I know, sounds silly, but still. They could just hand-wave it by saying Nick Fury's lie was a little bigger than just getting red on his ledger cards. He was seriously injured and passed out, but was saved by the medics. Simple, believable, done.

Or the show could be a prequel to The Avengers. I'm not such a huge fan of that idea, but it'd work too.

• I was pretty sure that he'd be the lead in the show ever since they announced the show's existence. Because the other S.H.I.E.L.D. people are really big names that wouldn't normally be in TV shows. And Coulson is something of a fan favorite character with very little established continuity, which is something that Whedon would probably go for.

@Darth Marsden said:
    A Life Model Decoy seems a little too sci-fi to throw at the audience. I know, sounds silly, but still. They could just hand-wave it by saying Nick Fury's lie was a little bigger than just getting red on his ledger cards. He was seriously injured and passed out, but was saved by the medics. Simple, easy, done.

Well, that was mostly a joke since that's how the comics would have handled it. Though it's not an entirely new concept in the movieverse. Stark did try to pass himself off as one in Avengers. He was joking of course, but the reference was still made.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Well, there's a cellist. I think.

• Still...if Coulson is brought back from the dead by whatever means...that'll be one of the first resurrections/"cop-outs" I've ever heard of Joss Whedon doing.

• Coulson wasn't dead at all, confirmed by Joss Whedon even while the Avengers was still in theatres. Nick Fury, both in this continuity as well as most other continuities, is a chronic liar.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Still...if Coulson is brought back from the dead by whatever means...that'll be one of the first resurrections/"cop-outs" I've ever heard of Joss Whedon doing.

Whedon's resurrected characters before. He resurrected Buffy twice, and had a quasi resurrection for Spike and Angel in the Buffyverse as well as a copout for Marty in Cabin in the Woods. There's a few other instances where he also brings characters back as ghosts or duplicates as well (like in Dollhouse, they can be brought back as memories).

The reason he hasn't done it with the other fan favorite characters was that their deaths happened at the end of the series/show and there was no real need to bring them back. He also tends to leave characters dead if they died in a non-mystic way (like if they were shot) but tends to leave a loophole if they, say, fell through a portal into a hell dimension or something.

• @GaryCXJk said: Coulson wasn't dead at all, confirmed by Joss Whedon even while the Avengers was still in theatres. Nick Fury, both in this continuity as well as most other continuities, is a chronic liar.

Source?

• Well that's a shame, I guess the writers have no backbone afterall.

Add Comment