User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • As an update- I finally got it to download! Deleting the temp files before download worked :)

Thanks so much!

• I am new to PC and half of the OP's post is gibberish to me. Can anyone help me through this?

• This working better than not at all, but that's not saying much. The download is painfully slow and appears to lose the connection every 10% or so, I'm only to 20%, I'll keep you posted.

• This worked for me, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telltale, really pathetic.

• So is there a Mac fix as well?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@JordyLicht said: So is there a Mac fix as well?

I don't have a Mac, so i can't try it. The same thing might work, by copying the same empty .json files to
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta
    and write protecting them, until the episodes are downloaded, and deleting them afterwards.

Don't forget to make a backup of
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
    before you try it.

• Wow mine started downloading!

• Yessir... The download worked, so yes this fix also works for Mac.
    I'm now the proud owner of episode 4 :)

... but, now my saves aren't recognized anymore. Even though the savefiles are still there. I only have an option for a new game.

EDIT:

DjNJB, since you seem you visit this thread regularly, do you have ANY idea why I keep on having to wait 20 minutes until I can go to the main menu? I already know it's downloading an update, so the first time I just waited patiently, but I get this every time I start the game.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@JordyLicht said: Yessir... The download worked, so yes this fix also works for Mac.
    I'm now the proud owner of episode 4 :)

... but, now my saves aren't recognized anymore. Even though the savefiles are still there. I only have an option for a new game.

EDIT:

DjNJB, since you seem you visit this thread regularly, do you have ANY idea why I keep on having to wait 20 minutes until I can go to the main menu? I already know it's downloading an update, so the first time I just waited patiently, but I get this every time I start the game.

Wait, you already mentioned these savegame issues before the download. Or did they work again in between?

I don't know why you have to wait every time. Did you also have to wait while you did this workaround?

• Thank you so much! I can finally play :)

This discussion has been closed.