User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 160.5K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Want to make something but I don't have Office on this new laptop. (Can't find the install disc... -_-)

• Milliard is French for Billion. Just tossing that out there.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

So, I posted about this project before, and I thought it would be fun to share what I already had done since I doubt I'll ever make this cartoon. Besides, if I do ever make it, it won't be with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. I decided I really don't want to face the wrath of the Walt Disney Corporation legal department, even though I'm in my legal rights to do so as the earliest Oswald shorts are public domain and the trademark on Oswald the Lucky Rabbit expired (google cache of the US trademark website, since the database is currently unavailable).

oswald_title.pngoswald_shot.png

• @RetroVortex said: Want to make something but I don't have Office on this new laptop. (Can't find the install disc... -_-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice

Also, I'd take WordPerfect over Word any day of the week.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@RetroVortex said: Want to make something but I don't have Office on this new laptop. (Can't find the install disc... -_-)

Check out Google Docs (might be called Google Drive now). It's free, and you only need your web browser.

• @Chyron8472 said: To all you Europeans out there: when referring to 1,000,000,000 do you say "milliard" or "billion"?

In Germany thats a "Milliarde" but in the US it's a "billion".
    A "Billion" in Germany is 1.000.000.000.000 .
    (we also have a reverse use the "." and the "," regarding numbers)

• Hmmm.... I think I may give that google docs a shot.
    (I think I know where the disc is. Its just getting it...)

EDIT: Oh this is pretty neat! :D
    Shame though, that as soon as I get a page up, my mind went blank... -_-

Guess its early bedtime for me folks...

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: Some idiot youtube commenter with a superiority complex is arguing with people about proper large-number usage.

To all you Europeans out there: when referring to 1,000,000,000 do you say "milliard" or "billion"?

Technically, both are correct depending on if you're using the short scale or long scale large number naming system. Like der_ketzer said, in countries that use the long scale number naming system, billion is 1,000,000,000,000 (in the short scale naming system, that number is called trillion). The name given to the number in the countries with a long scale naming system is indeed often milliard (or milliarde). Billion in the short scale naming system is 1,000,000,000. Most English speaking countries use the short scale naming system.

The long scale naming system is older, and has been mostly superseded by the short scale naming system. However, like imperial vs metric or fahrenheit vs celcius, even though one form of measurement has mostly superseded the other, both are correct. They just differ depending on the country.

• @Jennifer said: However, like imperial vs metric or fahrenheit vs celcius, even though one form of measurement has mostly superseded the other, both are correct. They just differ depending on the country.

Yes. And we all agree that ours is the right one :D

• @Jennifer said: Technically, both are correct depending on if you're using the short scale or long scale large number naming system.

I wasn't arguing which was correct so much as asking so to satisfy my own personal curiosity.

This discussion has been closed.