User Avatar Image

Can not remap keys by design

posted by Voodz on - last edited - Viewed by 8.1K users

I have just bougth The Walking Dead, and I am unable to change the controls.
When i go into the settings, I have a big xBox control and i cant change anything.

Help please.

85 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Master of Aeons said: Use the arrow keys. Find a program that changes your mouse directions. I think I've seen a few posted.

How about no? I shouldn't have to find a program that flips my axis nor should I have to alter the way I play a game because of the short sightedness of the game developer. This isn't an unreasonable request. I honestly can't think of a single game I've played in the past 20 years that didn't let me change my controls.

• @Alien1099 said: How about no? I shouldn't have to find a program that flips my axis nor should I have to alter the way I play a game because of the short sightedness of the game developer. This isn't an unreasonable request. I honestly can't think of a single game I've played in the past 20 years that didn't let me change my controls.

People are offering you a solution and you are just being rude about it. This is not a technical help forum, its just normal players giving some advice. Good luck though, I am sure someone is working on the problem....

• @funyahns said: People are offering you a solution and you are just being rude about it. This is not a technical help forum, its just normal players giving some advice. Good luck though, I am sure someone is working on the problem....

I'm not being rude. He missed the point of my post. This is something the developer should fix. It shouldn't be something the community should have to work around because of their shortsightedness on something that is an industry standard. To me the game is incomplete (and not because of the unfinished episodes). If I pay for a product I expect it to have industry standard features like adjustable graphics settings, adjustable sound settings, remappable controls, invertible Y axis, etc.

• @Alien1099 said: I'm not being rude. He missed the point of my post. This is something the developer should fix. It shouldn't be something the community should have to work around because of their shortsightedness on something that is an industry standard. To me the game is incomplete (and not because of the unfinished episodes). If I pay for a product I expect it to have industry standard features like adjustable graphics settings, adjustable sound settings, remappable controls, invertible Y axis, etc.

Nope, you're being a dick. I use the arrow keys, I still manage to have a great time. Just because remappable keys are the standard doesn't mean you get to shit all over us. You're not getting the feature implemented [in a future patch no matter how much you whine], you might as well just find a workaround, send Customer Service a harsh letter and buy only games that you know you can trust. If something like this is a huge issue for you, why did you buy from such a small company? Get back on your XBox and take your problems elsewhere.

• @Master of Aeons said: Nope, you're being a dick. I use the arrow keys, I still manage to have a great time. Just because remappable keys are the standard doesn't mean you get to shit all over us. You're not getting the feature implemented [in a future patch no matter how much you whine], you might as well just find a workaround, send Customer Service a harsh letter and buy only games that you know you can trust. If something like this is a huge issue for you, why did you buy from such a small company? Get back on your XBox and take your problems elsewhere.

If you'd read my post you'd see I bought it during the Steam summer sale. I don't own an XBox. Who's being a dick here? I didn't shit all over anybody. I said downloading a 3rd party utility to play the game shouldn't be something I should have to do for a brand new game lacking a feature standard in every single game I can think of that I've played on the PC in the past 20 years where keyboard movement of a character is used. It is a legitimate gripe, especially for the people that use non QWERTY keyboards. But I guess screw everybody that doesn't play with WASD, right?

• @Alien1099 said: If you'd read my post you'd see I bought it during the Steam summer sale. I don't own an XBox. Who's being a dick here? I didn't shit all over anybody. I said downloading a 3rd party utility to play the game shouldn't be something I should have to do for a brand new game lacking a feature standard in every single game I can think of that I've played on the PC in the past 20 years where keyboard movement of a character is used. It is a legitimate gripe, especially for the people that use non QWERTY keyboards.

Oh, now you can suddenly rebut and argue? Let's start over.

You bought it on Steam, I saw that. I told you to return to your XBox because you act like the entitled brats of the Call of Duty ilk who want to play their game with their settings and call anyone with a differing opinion a "whiny bitch lizard" (I forget their actual terminology). It's not based on a factual account of you, just the character you portrayed in your handful of posts on this forum.

You do have a "legitimate gripe" that your needs aren't being met. But I don't think you know anything about Telltale. They're a very small company and don't have a support staff to meet your needs. This isn't like a problem with EA. You can't open a ticket and get everything resolved in nine minutes. You're honestly better off with a third party workaround to fix your mouse, if necessary. I'm playing it without the inverted mouse, even though I prefer the other way. I use the arrow keys. You really aren't in as dire of a situation as you're voicing.

So let's recap: Who is being a dick? Who is suggesting answers? Who doesn't have any other options?

Essay form please.

• @Master of Aeons said: Oh, now you can suddenly rebut and argue? Let's start over.

You bought it on Steam, I saw that. I told you to return to your XBox because you act like the entitled brats of the Call of Duty ilk who want to play their game with their settings and call anyone with a differing opinion a "whiny bitch lizard" (I forget their actual terminology). It's not based on a factual account of you, just the character you portrayed in your handful of posts on this forum.

You do have a "legitimate gripe" that your needs aren't being met. But I don't think you know anything about Telltale. They're a very small company and don't have a support staff to meet your needs. This isn't like a problem with EA. You can't open a ticket and get everything resolved in nine minutes. You're honestly better off with a third party workaround to fix your mouse, if necessary. I'm playing it without the inverted mouse, even though I prefer the other way. I use the arrow keys. You really aren't in as dire of a situation as you're voicing.

So let's recap: Who is being a dick? Who is suggesting answers? Who doesn't have any other options?

Essay form please.

So what you're telling me is that a company of small size should be excused from fixing an oversight on a feature that is industry standard that some people require in order to play the game?

I already told you I don't want to use a third party utility on principle. It's nice and all that you try to help somebody, but you are the one that acted like a baby when you missed the point of my post and I said I didn't want to use a third party utility to fix with something that the developer should address themselves and should be implemented in game.

Given the fact that there are countless much lower budget games out there made by even smaller companies that aren't lacking the ability to do things like remap controls and invert the Y axis, I am thinking you don't have a leg to stand on.

• @Alien1099 said: So what you're telling me is that a company of small size should be excused from fixing an oversight on a feature that is industry standard that some people require in order to play the game?

I already told you I don't want to use a third party utility on principle. It's nice and all that you try to help somebody, but you are the one that acted like a baby when you missed the point of my post and I said I didn't want to use a third party utility to fix with something that the developer should address themselves and should be implemented in game.

Given the fact that there are countless much lower budget games out there made by even smaller companies that aren't lacking the ability to do things like remap controls and invert the Y axis, I am thinking you don't have a leg to stand on.

Suit yourself. Stay here wishing.

• I agree with the statement that TT made a big mistake not allowing key remapping. I've purchased many TT games so far and am frankly amazed that they can create yet another good game and still fail on such a basic game functionality as this.

I'm also on azerty by the way, and I don't want to install keymappers or set up an additional keyboard layout because of one game.

• Just trying the game i purchased today :-)
    Finding out about this ridiculous lack of professionalism from TT. QWERTY is not the only standard in the world. Won't catch me again buying their products....

Add Comment