User Avatar Image

Games That Deserve To Be Forgotten

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Back to the Future: The "Game"

9ZYc7.png

304 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • cover-full.jpg?1327648864
    A stiff piece of disgrace to the serie. Had it's moments, though.

• @Baarden said: cover-full.jpg?1327648864

sad-tennant-near-end.png

• aYGwP.jpg

For bad acting, poor storytelling.

The story itself is decent, but the way plot twists are revealed is lame. Sure, Tidus' fate is a small surprise, but Jekt being Sin is revealed in the first hour of gameplay so it's neither a twist nor spoilery to talk about, and Yuna's quest has been explained so many times by so many people as being futile, that her decision at the end isn't a twist as much as a final dose of common sense.

edit: Also, blitzballs should be Tidus' primary weapon, but aren't because that honor is given to Wakka, whose blitzball team has never won a game before ever.

• @Chyron8472 said: aYGwP.jpg

Final Fantasy X was okay(Tidus's voice was grating though). The one that deserves to be forgotten...

final_fantasy12.jpg

• @Chyron8472 said: aYGwP.jpg

After playing this game, I was so completely disgusted that I didn't even attempt to play another JRPG for nearly a decade.

• I would also say Final Fantasy X-2 for requiring a strategy guide to know what conversations are required (and easily missed) to get the proper ending, but the story is kinda decent, the world is non-linear, the jobs system creative (though cheesy) and Yuna and Rikku are hot.

@Shadowknight1 said: Final Fantasy X was okay(Tidus's voice was grating though). The one that deserves to be forgotten...

gFZRa.jpg

I liked that game. You just have to get beyond that there's no lead protagonist.

It's a heck of a lot better than FFX, anyway, in my opinion.

• @Chyron8472 said: I liked that game. You just have to get beyond that there's no lead protagonist.

It's a heck of a lot better than FFX, anyway, in my opinion.

Yes there is. He's just boring as ****. I'd rather the game follow Balthier. He's the Final Fantasy equivalent of Han Solo. But no, we get Vaan, who's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Not to mention an overly-political story that is about as exciting as The Phantom Menace and an overly clunky and unresponsive crap-tastic battle system.

• Well that's the thing. The character you're given control of isn't the main character of the story. Once you accept (if you can) that you're just a bit part in a much larger story, it becomes more entertaining.

• Well, it also didn't help that I took a break from it for a bit, came back, had no idea what was going on, what had happened, where I was, and what I was fighting for. It left that little impression on me.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Baarden said: cover-full.jpg?1327648864

I've always felt that Escape isn't quite as bad as many say. The story and characters were the most disappointing part, and the only people that really effects are those that were already fans of the series (I"ve noticed that if Escape was someone's first Monkey Island, they tend to have fond memories of it).

Aside from the Grim-esque controls, retcons, and the (in my opinion) not very Monkey Island-y story, I think it was a solid adventure game, though Escape had some of the most obtuse puzzles in the series.

If anything, I think it deserves to be remembered to show future Monkey Island writers that retcons, overdoing the anachronisms, and removing most of the piratey elements from the setting only serves to upset many existing Monkey Island fans.

Add Comment