User Avatar Image

The "Ben choice" is bs

posted by fenom on - last edited - Viewed by 291 users

I didn't drop Ben... cause I didn't even tried to shoot the zombie.

The problem is that in reality I wouldn't have let him die and most probably no other player as well.

I let him die because it was the 1st chance the game gave me to deal with him in any way! Which is stupid by the way. This choice doesn't really say anything about the player and if anything is a failure of the game. We're supposed to be immersed to the game yet at that moment I was only thinking "I'm playing a game".

They make Ben so dumb and then FORCE him on you, without any chance to do something about it.
And not just dumb but I think that as a character he is poorly written, making him unrealistic and inconsistent. from the top of my head:

- Any person that wouldn't be any help with the zombies and feels kind of worthless or even guilty like Ben, would try his very best to help out in every non zombie situation. I mean fine you're that scared of zombies that you can't overcome it even for a child in danger, but you can't even babysit one in a SECURED area as the house with other people present no less? Instead he says to Lee something like get off my back? And attempts to drink with drunk Kenny to top it off?

- He wants to help out because he knows he's been pretty much worthless but if Lee tells him that well Ben you haven't been exactly helpful he gets pissed off.

- He's so afraid that he doesn't try to save Clem but is completely ok with falling, breaking 10 bones and be eaten ALIVE.

This kind of behavior is illogical to me and unrealistic. They could have made Ben even that stupid but at least sympathetic in some ways. Like if he was the guy that always keep an eye on Clem. Or give him some kind of ability like Doug for example who while no fighter material was helpful with anything electronics related. So then even if the game gave you a choice to cut him lose it wouldn't be a no brainer. They could even make it so that a member of the group dies if you chose to cut him lose because his ability would have helped, and make you feel guilty.

Instead they just make this beyond stupid Ben just being there with all the flaws at least I personally see, and force him time and time again to present you with this bs choice to force you to let him die. Well bravo then, clap clap.

I'm wondering... with Ben being as they made him, if there was a choice to cut him lose at some point, how many players that saved him would have voted for him to leave? Cause I'm betting a lot.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @fenom said: I didn't drop Ben... cause I didn't even tried to shoot the zombie.

The problem is that in reality I wouldn't have let him die and most probably no other player as well.

I let him die because it was the 1st chance the game gave me to deal with him in any way! Which is stupid by the way. This choice doesn't really say anything about the player and if anything is a failure of the game. We're supposed to be immersed to the game yet at that moment I was only thinking "I'm playing a game".

They make Ben so dumb and then FORCE him on you, without any chance to do something about it.
    And not just dumb but I think that as a character he is poorly written, making him unrealistic and inconsistent. from the top of my head:

- Any person that wouldn't be any help with the zombies and feels kind of worthless or even guilty like Ben, would try his very best to help out in every non zombie situation. I mean fine you're that scared of zombies that you can't overcome it even for a child in danger, but you can't even babysit one in a SECURED area as the house with other people present no less? Instead he says to Lee something like get off my back? And attempts to drink with drunk Kenny to top it off?

- He wants to help out because he knows he's been pretty much worthless but if Lee tells him that well Ben you haven't been exactly helpful he gets pissed off.

- He's so afraid that he doesn't try to save Clem but is completely ok with falling, breaking 10 bones and be eaten ALIVE.

This kind of behavior is illogical to me and unrealistic. They could have made Ben even that stupid but at least sympathetic in some ways. Like if he was the guy that always keep an eye on Clem. Or give him some kind of ability like Doug for example who while no fighter material was helpful with anything electronics related. So then even if the game gave you a choice to cut him lose it wouldn't be a no brainer. They could even make it so that a member of the group dies if you chose to cut him lose because his ability would have helped, and make you feel guilty.

Instead they just make this beyond stupid Ben just being there with all the flaws at least I personally see, and force him time and time again to present you with this bs choice to force you to let him die. Well bravo then, clap clap.

I'm wondering... with Ben being as they made him, if there was a choice to cut him lose at some point, how many players that saved him would have voted for him to leave? Cause I'm betting a lot.

I will probably get yelled at for this.

Ben is pretty much a child compared to the other survivors, yet everyone wants him to make decisions like an adult. If Clementine would've doomed the survivors like that (which if you count talking to that guy on the walkie talkie, she pretty much did) then nobody would hate her or be genuinely bothered by her presence. Anyone in Ben's situation probably would've done the same thing.

• @FladeIsCool said: I will probably get yelled at for this.

Ben is pretty much a child compared to the other survivors, yet everyone wants him to make decisions like an adult. If Clementine would've doomed the survivors like that (which if you count talking to that guy on the walkie talkie, she pretty much did) then nobody would hate her or be genuinely bothered by her presence. Anyone in Ben's situation probably would've done the same thing.

Only issue here is idiot Ben is old enough that he should have known better.

• Don't blame the game because you didn't realize you could move your cursor and save him. :p

• If the game wasn't so linear in forcing Ben on you I wouldn't have had to drop him since I'd have told him to leave a long time ago, I think that's the biggest mistake Telltale made concerning the character, you're just forced to be with him until you reach the pre-determined point in the episode where you can finally free yourself of him. In Episode 3 he made a secret deal that set into motion the events that lead to Duck, Katjaa, and Carley/Doug dying, Lilly going psycho, and Kenny losing everything he had lived for up to that point. Episode 4, Ben leaves Clem to the walkers, when he could've at least grabbed Clem's hand and run, resulting in Chuck having to step up and die, and then later he removes the hatchet from the main which results in Brie dying and could've easily enough lead to the whole group dying. Sure Ben's a realistic and scared 18 year-old that has his heart in the right place, but that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been an asset, isn't even merely deadweight in which case I might be able to tolerate him, he's an outright liabilty and I was just begging the game for an opportunity to leave his ass behind in the house when the group went to raid Crawford, because I was sure he'd find a way to screw up, and he did. I went into Episode 4 with the mindset that Ben's incompetence was a bigger danger to the group's well-being than the walkers or any other people, and when I go on into Episode 5 there will be at least 1 less thing I have to worry about. That being said, I did gain some respect for him when he finally owed up to his mistakes like a man and admitted he was a screw-up, so I put in a good word for him with Clem.

Anyway, I don't really think of Ben as a badly written character, I thought he was very well-written, it's just that the game limits how you can deal with him far too severely.

• @Sonic Boyster said: The scene was written horribly, and resolved terribly. Ben isn't a bad character, he's just a character that in the real world would have been shot or left behind to die ages ago. He's a total liability to the group and doesn't ever evolve as a character. Asking someone to drop him to his death isn't a sign of some newfound maturity, it's just more cowardice, and he's still dead weight eating food that could be going to the rest of our cast.

The fact that there's this stupidly dramatic scene about how there's no time and then you can just straight up pull him up with no consequence is what really killed it for me. Not only is it a reminder you're in a video game but you're sitting there with Karl who is in no threat at all just watching you deal with this decision from the window the whole time. Meh. Shoddy writing.

Who's Karl?

• Man, I hope I'm never in a zombie apocalypse with the OP...

• @shedim said: Only issue here is idiot Ben is old enough that he should have known better.

Ben's actually the first instance in TWD universe we had a teenager his age that could represent a regular person. Glenn is fairly close in age, but he's more of a college student and had some real world experiece. Ben isn't a child growing up in this world. He's already grown up, and was now entering adulthood. When you're 17-18 you're at a stage in life where you're grown up but now you need to find yourself. It's a really tough period in life where you might experience a lot of failures and try to grow from them. For glenn he already was working as a delivery boy and when the appocalypse hit he had the skills necessary to scavenge supplies, so he found his spot. Ben never experienced that.

So he's thrown into a world of death where he has no known skills and doesn't know what to do. He's trying to help but keeps messing up, and in this world when you mess up, people die. So to me, he's extremely realistic. He was raised to be a good person and he has good intentions, but he keeps fucking up and it's killing him inside. His drop was him finally going "i won't be a burden any longer."

• @BlackPaladin said: Ben's actually the first instance in TWD universe we had a teenager his age that could represent a regular person. Glenn is fairly close in age, but he's more of a college student and had some real world experiece. Ben isn't a child growing up in this world. He's already grown up, and was now entering adulthood. When you're 17-18 you're at a stage in life where you're grown up but now you need to find yourself. It's a really tough period in life where you might experience a lot of failures and try to grow from them. For glenn he already was working as a delivery boy and when the appocalypse hit he had the skills necessary to scavenge supplies, so he found his spot. Ben never experienced that.

So he's thrown into a world of death where he has no known skills and doesn't know what to do. He's trying to help but keeps messing up, and in this world when you mess up, people die. So to me, he's extremely realistic. He was raised to be a good person and he has good intentions, but he keeps fucking up and it's killing him inside. His drop was him finally going "i won't be a burden any longer."

Chris and Julie would like to have a word with you.

• @Zer0Guy said: Chris and Julie would like to have a word with you.

No they were 16. They weren't 18 like ben, who would, if the ZA never happened, be going off to college/trade school that summer for the first time and begin to find himself. It's that time period that literally everyone I know went through a large change as they began to become adults. You can't compare that to early to mid teens which is an entirely different thing all together.

• @BlackPaladin said: No they were 16. They weren't 18 like ben, who would, if the ZA never happened, be going off to college/trade school that summer for the first time and begin to find himself. It's that time period that literally everyone I know went through a large change as they began to become adults. You can't compare that to early to mid teens which is an entirely different thing all together.

I'd say you could put Chris up there with an eighteen year old. You've got me at Julie, however.

Add Comment