User Avatar Image

The "Ben choice" is bs

posted by fenom on - last edited - Viewed by 643 users

I didn't drop Ben... cause I didn't even tried to shoot the zombie.

The problem is that in reality I wouldn't have let him die and most probably no other player as well.

I let him die because it was the 1st chance the game gave me to deal with him in any way! Which is stupid by the way. This choice doesn't really say anything about the player and if anything is a failure of the game. We're supposed to be immersed to the game yet at that moment I was only thinking "I'm playing a game".

They make Ben so dumb and then FORCE him on you, without any chance to do something about it.
And not just dumb but I think that as a character he is poorly written, making him unrealistic and inconsistent. from the top of my head:

- Any person that wouldn't be any help with the zombies and feels kind of worthless or even guilty like Ben, would try his very best to help out in every non zombie situation. I mean fine you're that scared of zombies that you can't overcome it even for a child in danger, but you can't even babysit one in a SECURED area as the house with other people present no less? Instead he says to Lee something like get off my back? And attempts to drink with drunk Kenny to top it off?

- He wants to help out because he knows he's been pretty much worthless but if Lee tells him that well Ben you haven't been exactly helpful he gets pissed off.

- He's so afraid that he doesn't try to save Clem but is completely ok with falling, breaking 10 bones and be eaten ALIVE.

This kind of behavior is illogical to me and unrealistic. They could have made Ben even that stupid but at least sympathetic in some ways. Like if he was the guy that always keep an eye on Clem. Or give him some kind of ability like Doug for example who while no fighter material was helpful with anything electronics related. So then even if the game gave you a choice to cut him lose it wouldn't be a no brainer. They could even make it so that a member of the group dies if you chose to cut him lose because his ability would have helped, and make you feel guilty.

Instead they just make this beyond stupid Ben just being there with all the flaws at least I personally see, and force him time and time again to present you with this bs choice to force you to let him die. Well bravo then, clap clap.

I'm wondering... with Ben being as they made him, if there was a choice to cut him lose at some point, how many players that saved him would have voted for him to leave? Cause I'm betting a lot.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @shedim said: Not in my playthrough. He's still the very same whining insecure worthless piece of coward shit that he used to be eversince he got introduced in Episode 2. Too bad he didn't end up as food instead of Mark.

I only saved him because I wanted to see what's gonna happen in Episode 5 if you bring retard Ben along, too. I killed him in my very first playthrough though and I was hoping Kenny might put him up, so I can kill him again until he gets the point.

FU, Ben! He caused 5 deaths, already and people are still like "Oooooh, poor boy! It's not your fault that your stupid actions led to people biting the dust!"

I agree! I killed him too, more than once before I finally saved him just to see if I could get him and Kenny to come along and I did. I got everyone to come with me. IMO, In the ZA world you don't have time to wait for people to grow up and get their act together cause while that fool was going through his growing pains people were freaking dying. I could careless about Ben and if he dies in Ep 5 I would be very happy.

• The kid's had one hell of a week.

• pulling the hatchet from the door was completely unrealistic

• 18 year olds don't think it but they are idiots, sure the hatchet thing was a bit to much ( maybe the zombies had walked away from the door at the time??) but i think it's more that being in the mindset of playing a game is what makes the op think they had to drop ben, in real life people wouldn't just throw someone out of the group for being useless, it would just be accepted as part of life.

Also Lee was a history professor (a point that is rarely mentioned until lee and Clementine are in the school) so he would be used to dealing with teenagers and probably believes that the youth are the future and therefore very important so he would never abandon ben, i think dropping ben is the unrealistic thing to do

• @marcu5 said: pulling the hatchet from the door was completely unrealistic

This is probably the only thing from this thread I'll pick out and agree on because how could Ben not see a dozen zombies banging behind the glass doors? I think they threw that whole scene in there very carelessly.

• @savi said: This is probably the only thing from this thread I'll pick out and agree on because how could Ben not see a dozen zombies banging behind the glass doors? I think they threw that whole scene in there very carelessly.

Obviously the zombies are gone when he takes it. You even see as you walk past the door with Molly, there is a lot more blood on the door but no zombies behind it (and the hatchet is gone).

There's no way Ben would have taken the hatchet out of the door while the zombies were still banging on it - that's unrealistic. If he had have done that, they would have eaten him and be wandering around the hallway by the time you get there.

• @savi said: This is probably the only thing from this thread I'll pick out and agree on because how could Ben not see a dozen zombies banging behind the glass doors? I think they threw that whole scene in there very carelessly.

im pretty tired of the apologist on this site.TTG can do absolutely no wrong to many of the posters here. the quality of writing on this game deteriorated after episode 3.

• @Saracenar said: Obviously the zombies are gone when he takes it.

Indeed.
    Still: Ben has entered Crawford with the others through that very door, he knew that walkers were close and that the hatchet hasn't been there before.

• @Saracenar said:

There's no way Ben would have taken the hatchet out of the door while the zombies were still banging on it - that's unrealistic. If he had have done that, they would have eaten him and be wandering around the hallway by the time you get there.

by that same logic, it's unrealistic for tens of zombies would disappear within minutes.

• I agree with the others, I feel that Ben *was* (I dropped him) a realistic character. He was afraid, a complete coward, and he couldn't make justified or informed, wise decisions. This fear was probably intensified by the Lilly incidence, the loss of his friends and family and going through all the events in Ep. 3 and 4. HOWEVER; in a Zombie Apocalypse I feel you can't have 3rd, 4th, 5th chances in life when you've made that many mistakes. He inadvertently killed Chuck, Katjaa, Duck, Brie and of course Carley through his idiotic decisions and timings, and lack of courage (he left Clem behind! D: )

If I could have in the game, I would have pushed him off the train when he revealed that it was him behind the bandit situation, especially as the loss of Carley was still very sore.

Add Comment