User Avatar Image

The "Ben choice" is bs

posted by fenom on - last edited - Viewed by 549 users

I didn't drop Ben... cause I didn't even tried to shoot the zombie.

The problem is that in reality I wouldn't have let him die and most probably no other player as well.

I let him die because it was the 1st chance the game gave me to deal with him in any way! Which is stupid by the way. This choice doesn't really say anything about the player and if anything is a failure of the game. We're supposed to be immersed to the game yet at that moment I was only thinking "I'm playing a game".

They make Ben so dumb and then FORCE him on you, without any chance to do something about it.
And not just dumb but I think that as a character he is poorly written, making him unrealistic and inconsistent. from the top of my head:

- Any person that wouldn't be any help with the zombies and feels kind of worthless or even guilty like Ben, would try his very best to help out in every non zombie situation. I mean fine you're that scared of zombies that you can't overcome it even for a child in danger, but you can't even babysit one in a SECURED area as the house with other people present no less? Instead he says to Lee something like get off my back? And attempts to drink with drunk Kenny to top it off?

- He wants to help out because he knows he's been pretty much worthless but if Lee tells him that well Ben you haven't been exactly helpful he gets pissed off.

- He's so afraid that he doesn't try to save Clem but is completely ok with falling, breaking 10 bones and be eaten ALIVE.

This kind of behavior is illogical to me and unrealistic. They could have made Ben even that stupid but at least sympathetic in some ways. Like if he was the guy that always keep an eye on Clem. Or give him some kind of ability like Doug for example who while no fighter material was helpful with anything electronics related. So then even if the game gave you a choice to cut him lose it wouldn't be a no brainer. They could even make it so that a member of the group dies if you chose to cut him lose because his ability would have helped, and make you feel guilty.

Instead they just make this beyond stupid Ben just being there with all the flaws at least I personally see, and force him time and time again to present you with this bs choice to force you to let him die. Well bravo then, clap clap.

I'm wondering... with Ben being as they made him, if there was a choice to cut him lose at some point, how many players that saved him would have voted for him to leave? Cause I'm betting a lot.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I agree with the others, I feel that Ben *was* (I dropped him) a realistic character. He was afraid, a complete coward, and he couldn't make justified or informed, wise decisions. This fear was probably intensified by the Lilly incidence, the loss of his friends and family and going through all the events in Ep. 3 and 4. HOWEVER; in a Zombie Apocalypse I feel you can't have 3rd, 4th, 5th chances in life when you've made that many mistakes. He inadvertently killed Chuck, Katjaa, Duck, Brie and of course Carley through his idiotic decisions and timings, and lack of courage (he left Clem behind! D: )

If I could have in the game, I would have pushed him off the train when he revealed that it was him behind the bandit situation, especially as the loss of Carley was still very sore.

• @Wydiwyg said: Indeed.
    Still: Ben has entered Crawford with the others through that very door, he knew that walkers were close and that the hatchet hasn't been there before.

Yes, but the walkers weren't banging on the door as Lee and Molly were walking past it, and he did need something to open the armory door. While it was pretty stupid to take a thing that was obviously holding the door closed, I can see why he would think it was safe to get the hatchet back. The walkers only went back to the door again after the bell started ringing.

• @sparkzfly said: I agree with the others, I feel that Ben *was* (I dropped him) a realistic character. He was afraid, a complete coward, and he couldn't make justified or informed, wise decisions. This fear was probably intensified by the Lilly incidence, the loss of his friends and family and going through all the events in Ep. 3 and 4. HOWEVER; in a Zombie Apocalypse I feel you can't have 3rd, 4th, 5th chances in life when you've made that many mistakes. He inadvertently killed Chuck, Katjaa, Duck, Brie and of course Carley through his idiotic decisions and timings, and lack of courage (he left Clem behind! D: )

If I could have in the game, I would have pushed him off the train when he revealed that it was him behind the bandit situation, especially as the loss of Carley was still very sore.

so far, the only realistic characters in this game are chuck, lee, carly and possibly mark.

• @marcu5 said: no far, the only realistic characters in this game are chuck, lee, carly and possibly mark.

Excuse me? So the only realistic characters are the ones that are more likeable than the rest?

• @Viser said: Excuse me? So the only realistic characters are the ones that are more likeable than the rest?

they're more likeable because they're more realistic. there's a lot of over the top animated characters and interactions in the TWD game.

• User Avatar Image
    Kae

I let Ben die, because he wanted me to, for starters. It felt like he wanted to atone for his failures and perceived "sins" from his earlier bad choices, and felt that was the way to do it. I am nothing else if a big believer that a person's life is theirs to decide what to do with. If Ben wanted me to let go, and he seemed calm and rational about it, then who am I to deny that final wish? It's no different than handing the gun to that lady in an earlier episode.

Secondly, Ben was a liability. He didn't seem to really care about Clementine, or anyone else, just his own ass. That's not someone you want in a group environment, and certainly not someone you can rely on. I'm not saying he's wrong for that, because I imagine I'd have a hard time with it too, but he's still wanting to clearly be a part of the group without really being there for the group, y'know? That's dangerous. Molly was kind of the same way to a degree, but at the end of the day, Molly knew she was better off alone, and removed herself from the equation, and I can respect that.

I also lost some respect for Ben when he decided that right in the middle of an extremely tense and dangerous situation was the best time to unburden his soul. That's purely selfish. All that confessing does is make YOU feel better, and dumps your problems onto someone else to share, and he did this in the absolute worst possible way he could have.

So while I sympathize with him, and realize that he's just a stupid kid, he's overall a bad choice to keep with the group based on multiple bad and selfish choices he repeatedly makes. If it weren't the zombie apocalypse and lives weren't at stake, I'd be far more willing to entertain his childish and risky behavior in the name of "he's just a kid", but in a situation where other lives are at risk, I just can't in good faith keep letting him do it.

• ^I agree 100% Those are all the reasons I dropped him the first time, heck you make me want to replay again and drop him before episode 5 comes out lol! But I do want to see how he redeems himself...if he does, then I'll replay 4 & 5 with him dead and gone.

• I never understood why its Bens fault that Duck is dead. If the bandits had a means to raid the motel, then they would've anyway, Ben just stalled them. Its Lillys fault Doug and that hoe carley are dead.

I don't like Ben, but I don't see how those 3 deaths are pinned on him.

P.S stfu about Carley. Gosh, I swear the people who chose to save Carley are the same type of gamers who are lonely virgins for life. You picked a character solely on tits, and then she died, and so you feel dumb, but to admit it? Wooow...Whereas people who I know saved Doug are intelligent and articulate, so I'm convinced of my above statment.
    And don't give me that "whaaa carley was more useful" bs. The situation was NEVER who lives and who dies, it was 'who do you help',do you help the girl ho has a frikkin gun against one single zombie who you adamantly states "Is capable", or save the guy who you claim is 'less capable' and therefore needs your help. So you carley virgins either cheated and rewinded your save, or more likely you're virgins who are now bawing at her death and constantly mix her and Dougs deaths. Pathetic.

• @K0t0 said:
    P.S stfu about Carley. Gosh, I swear the people who chose to save Carley are the same type of gamers who are lonely virgins for life. You picked a character solely on tits, and then she died, and so you feel dumb, but to admit it? Wooow...Whereas people who I know saved Doug are intelligent and articulate, so I'm convinced of my above statment.
    And don't give me that "whaaa carley was more useful" bs. The situation was NEVER who lives and who dies, it was 'who do you help',do you help the girl ho has a frikkin gun against one single zombie who you adamantly states "Is capable", or save the guy who you claim is 'less capable' and therefore needs your help. So you carley virgins either cheated and rewinded your save, or more likely you're virgins who are now bawing at her death and constantly mix her and Dougs deaths. Pathetic.

Firstly I'm a straight female and I picked her. I picked her because of her skills of shooting, her level headed ness but not afraid to speak her mind, plus a solid female figure for Clementine too. She then went on to save Lee's ass later on in episode 2. I liked Doug, but he made dumb decisions too - like when he yelled out Lee's name when he was with his brother, loud noises attracts zombies.

Also please fix your spelling and grammer before you go round calling people unintelligent.
    ;)

• @sparkzfly said: Firstly I'm a straight female and I picked her. I picked her because of her skills of shooting, her level headed ness but not afraid to speak her mind, plus a solid female figure for Clementine too. She then went on to save Lee's ass later on in episode 2. I liked Doug, but he made dumb decisions too - like when he yelled out Lee's name when he was with his brother, loud noises attracts zombies.

Also please fix your spelling and grammer before you go round calling people unintelligent.
    ;)

^ I agree, In a first playthrough I always try and save everyone I can so I can see the story unfold with everyone present and then start another playthrough with people missing.

Its a game of choice so people are free choose who they want and the reasons are their own.

Also where is your breast research k0t0? From what I saw in game Doug beats Carly every time in that war;)

Add Comment