User Avatar Image

TTG really messed up the Kenny/Lee dynamic

posted by marcu5 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

It's really frustrating and unrealistic that Kenny would dislike Lee all the way until the end just because you didn't help him bash Larry's skull in. I've helped his family more than he has, yet he's hesitant to help me find Clem.

Why would TTG focus so much on one decision? How about giving some realistic responses for once. I'd love to tell Kenny about how i fed Duck, kept Larry from kicking his boy out. Put his son out of his misery when he was too weak to do it. Saved his ass from zombies when he's abandoned me twice. I mean, How much more could one man do? Give us a chance to tell Kenny off before Lees departure.

127 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rock114 said: False. I refused to steal the food from the car in Episode 2 and shot the girl in Episode 3. By shooting the girl, I put him directly in danger and he STILL came back to save me from the door. I pretty much assaulted him through everything up until I talked him down on the train, and even kept saying how we needed to take care of Duck, and even through all that he STILL gave me the "You're my friend, I have your back no matter what" speech at the end of 4. It's just the really big things you ahve to side with him on apparently, and I think he was right on everything but killing Ben.

I mean, not EVERYTHING. Most of the most noticeable ones.

• @dubesor said: I think you are being irrational here. I too didn't help kill Larry. That's not the deciding factor. Kenny still said I always had his back when it mattered and comes freely. There are for SURE several other occasions where you disagreed with him. I disagreed with him like 3 or 4 times but still he comes with me. And yes even tho I refused to kill Larry.

Same here. I tried to revive Larry, I shot the girl in the street, I got into a fistfight with him on the train, I even told him off a few times. But I also always helped Duck (including putting him down), I helped Kenny face his fears in the attic and I dropped Ben. Apparently this was enough to get the "You've always had my back when it mattered" speech.

It's not Telltale's fault. Your relationship with Kenny is a lot more nuanced than you realize.

• @Viser said: . for instance, when you try to reason with Larry, Kenny sees it as going against him. Thought that was pretty obvious. To Kenny, you're either with him, or against him.

so how much sense does it make that if i agree with larry, and go against kenny every time (except for the larry incident), kenny is still "my buddy"

however, if i agree with him on everything except the larry incident, he hates my guts. really, TTG? who behaves like this in the real world>

• @dubesor said: I think you are being irrational here. I too didn't help kill Larry. That's not the deciding factor. Kenny still said I always had his back when it mattered and comes freely. There are for SURE several other occasions where you disagreed with him. I disagreed with him like 3 or 4 times but still he comes with me. And yes even tho I refused to kill Larry.

nope, i agreed with kenny on EVERYTHING except killing larry.

• @marcu5 said: nope, i agreed with kenny on EVERYTHING except killing larry.

Then you've probably got a glitch. Or you made some decisions that you didn't realize were decisions. It takes more than the Larry incident to make Kenny go against you.

• maybe kenny looks at the Larry meat locker situation as a defining moment as to whether you (LEE) has what it takes to survive and then after that he either believes "you are going to die and its just matter of time" or you "have what it takes to survive" and if he believes you have what it takes you are a good person to help because it will be worth it, but otherwise you are just gonna get him killed

• User Avatar Image
    Kae

I actually think someone mentioned in here that due to the way Telltale decided to handle an early choice (i.e. the "Reason with him" one) that a lot of people thought that meant "Reason with (the bad guys)" and instead it came out as "Reason with Kenny" (about letting someone kill Duck). Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but that one misfire about the way they handled a choice has always had me wondering about my other choices involving Kenny. Is it really because of my poor choice that Kenny is berating me right now, or was it just phrased strangely, like that first one, and that's why Kenny is acting like a douchebro right now?

It's a little frustrating. Some of the things I think Kenny would appreciate me agreeing with him on, he acts upset by, and vice versa. It frequently feels like he doesn't make a lot of sense.

I actually agreed with Kenny on almost everything (I didn't kill Larry) and he complained about how I never had his back pretty much the entire rest of the game. Mind you, at the end there, I just told him Clem was my family, and he melted like butter and came with me. I like Kenny, for some strange reason. He seems like a high-strung, but nice guy. I just feel like I'm not "playing him" right, if that makes sense.

• @thestalkinghead said: maybe kenny looks at the Larry meat locker situation as a defining moment as to whether you (LEE) has what it takes to survive and then after that he either believes "you are going to die and its just matter of time" or you "have what it takes to survive" and if he believes you have what it takes you are a good person to help because it will be worth it, but otherwise you are just gonna get him killed

more apologist bullcrap. it's just poor writing, acknowledge it so they will do better on season 2

keep pacifying TTG and they'll believe there's no reason to change their formula.

• Kenny was a cool character up until Kat and Duck died. Understandable though, it'd be very traumatic.

I sided with him on most things before that, he was nice to me and I remember him saying a few things that thankful for things I'd done. But it's once he beats you up on the train, things turn sour after that. He tries to talk with you shortly after(whether or not he was going to bring up the fight or thank you for being his friend but was too pissed, I don't know) but before he speaks he cuts himself off.

I'd like to see a scene where Kenny is dying and Lee and Kenny have a "bro" moment.

• @marcu5 said: more apologist bullcrap. it's just poor writing, acknowledge it so they will do better on season 2

keep pacifying TTG and they'll believe there's no reason to change their formula.

Just because it's not how you would create a character doesn't mean that Telltale's writing isn't valid or realistic.

Kenny is a believable character and that's the main point.

Add Comment