User Avatar Image

If they cut off Hershel's leg in the comics/TV show, why not Lee's arm?

posted by masterofceremonies on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

You can chalk it up to just simply being a different group of people, and I guess it has been less time than the chronology from the TV show/comics (what I estimate as 4 months as compared to 10 months with Rick & Co.), but I feel like having Lee die is kind of a cop out when they could just sever his arm the way they did with Hershel's leg and later Rick's arm in the comics. Granted, it makes for a much more emotionally impactful story, but given what we know about the Walking Dead universe, Lee could live yet.

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Possibly it would overcomplicate the story (blood loss, hospital equipment, etc.)

  • @Shagittarius said: What your saying is the zombies carry 2 kinds of disease, one that everyone is already infected with and a second that is spread through bites and scratches?

    Otherwise it still doesn't make sense that a bite would cause death unless like any other bite it lead to death through bleeding.

    Seems a bit stupid to me.

    Here is what Jake said about this topic:

    "Dying is what turns you into a zombie. It doesn't matter what you die from... as long as your brain is physically intact when you die, you will come back. So, if something kills you, you will come back.

    A zombie bite kills you. You get sick from the infection, it wears your body down and you die. If something kills you, you will come back. A zombie bite kills you, therefore you come back.


    One isn't a direct cause of the other ("A zombie bite turns you into a zombie,") but the first half -- the bite -- becomes the cause of the second half -- death, at which point you turn."

    Hope this helps.

  • @Kiel555 said: Here is what Jake said about this topic:

    "Dying is what turns you into a zombie. It doesn't matter what you die from... as long as your brain is physically intact when you die, you will come back. So, if something kills you, you will come back.

    A zombie bite kills you. You get sick from the infection, it wears your body down and you die. If something kills you, you will come back. A zombie bite kills you, therefore you come back.


    One isn't a direct cause of the other ("A zombie bite turns you into a zombie,") but the first half -- the bite -- becomes the cause of the second half -- death, at which point you turn."

    Hope this helps.


    the brain is what forces you to come back if you don't destroy it

  • @BlankCanvasDJ said: To be fair, most of the time we're talking about comics that are four or five years old now. There's a statute of limitations on spoilers and I think four or five years is long enough.

    That's true, but the TV show is based on the comic, so comic spoilers may apply to that.

  • @Kiel555 said: Here is what Jake said about this topic:

    "Dying is what turns you into a zombie. It doesn't matter what you die from... as long as your brain is physically intact when you die, you will come back. So, if something kills you, you will come back.

    A zombie bite kills you. You get sick from the infection, it wears your body down and you die. If something kills you, you will come back. A zombie bite kills you, therefore you come back.


    One isn't a direct cause of the other ("A zombie bite turns you into a zombie,") but the first half -- the bite -- becomes the cause of the second half -- death, at which point you turn."

    Hope this helps.

    So some sort of bactine on the bite would be all thats required to stop the infection? Or are you still saying a zombie bite will get infected in a way that cleaning and dressing the wound which takes care of all other infections will not work for some magical reason on zombie bites or scratches (which are not the zombie infection).

    It doesn't make any sense.

  • @Shagittarius said: So some sort of bactine on the bite would be all thats required to stop the infection? Or are you still saying a zombie bite will get infected in a way that cleaning and dressing the wound which takes care of all other infections will not work for some magical reason on zombie bites or scratches (which are not the zombie infection).

    It doesn't make any sense.

    I don't know. Moreover, I don't think anyone has tried any medical treatment of a walker bite lately. I'm sure during the initial outbreak the medical community and the bite victim all died rapidly in the initial stages of the outbreak. If they found a way to treat the infection from a walker bite that knowledge died with them.

    I've not read the comics, however in reading the posts regarding bites it appears the standard field treatment of a bite is amputation of the limb that got bit. I'm sure in the comics that plenty of people got bit and then later died from the infection just like Duck. But did they receive and medical treatment is the question.

    I know amputation is how Rick would treat a walker bite as seen in the TV show. Would this be Vernon's first choice as well with Lee? It would be interesting to see what he would have done if he was still in the morgue, is one of the few surviving doctors used to treating stubborn things like cancer, and just scored a bunch of medicine from Crawford.

  • They didnt know amputation could save you from the bite.

  • @BlankCanvasDJ said: To be fair, most of the time we're talking about comics that are four or five years old now. There's a statute of limitations on spoilers and I think four or five years is long enough.

    To be fair, a lot of people are new to TWD thanks to the game doing so well. That means they are just beginning the process of reading the comics, or watching the show. Old or not, tons of people are just now getting into the comics (and show which kinda follows them) but we aren't going to enjoy them as much if every little thing is spoiled in completely random threads. :(

  • Just for the record... Hershel does not get his leg amputated in the comics.

  • I assume they didn't cut Lee's arm because they want him to die

    If we're looking for reasons story wise...
    Lee chopped off that guy's leg on ep2, although it was just to free him not because he was bitten, and he died.

    Maybe he didn't want to risk dying faster from blood loss, or having 1 less capable hand/not being able to help at this point that he needs to find Clementine. But the idea probably didn't crossed his mind because of Clem.

    And If he had chopped it off there would be no doctor to fix him since Vernon
    is gone as we see plus Lee thinks he's the one that took her anyway.

Add Comment