User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 16.7K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Vainamoinen said: Search for Spock was cheap

In what way?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Hope I'm not stepping on any preferences, but the whole Nimoy-wants-out-forever oh Nimoy-wants-in-again thing really shows. This is not a "we want to tell a story" approach to a movie. It's a "we have to find a reason for Spock to return" approach.

...not that this specific bar of cheap wasn't even significantly lowered with Star Trek X. :eek:

• Star Trek XI, you mean. (there are 6 TOS and 4 TNG movies before the reboot)

I didn't think it was cheap in either movie to have Spock return. To me, 2, 3 and 4 really do feel like the "Star Trek Trilogy" as they are one long story. The only thing about XI is that a supernova and a "black hole" are rather weak on the creative side. For one, there has to be something more believable than an ultra mega supernova, and second, Trek has long since used the word "singularity."

Also, Spock, McCoy and Scotty all appeared in TNG without being cheap. It's an homage, not cheapness.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Oh no, I DID mean Star Trek X: Nemesis.

After all, what I found a bit cheap in Star Trek III was PERFECTLY mirrored in X in the treatment of yet another character/actor who "wanted out" just like Nimoy and STILL left himself the back door open in a most unsatisfying way. Blech.

I'm absolutely OK with XI ("le reboot"), caught it twice at the theater, and am presently considering the Blu Ray purchase.

• @Chyron8472 said: Also, Spock, McCoy and Scotty all appeared in TNG without being cheap. It's an homage, not cheapness.

McCoy's cameo in the first episode felt a bit off to me. The others were there to tell a story, and they told it well. McCoy was there to... what, link the two shows together? It just didn't feel all that needed.

• @Vainamoinen said: Oh no, I DID mean Star Trek X: Nemesis.

After all, what I found a bit cheap in Star Trek III was PERFECTLY mirrored in X in the treatment of yet another character/actor who "wanted out" just like Nimoy and STILL left himself the back door open in a most unsatisfying way. Blech.

Oh... well, yes. Writing Data back in--after he specifically said in TNG:Time's Arrow that he liked knowing he won't outlive his friends--is lame and I disapprove. Data has had an ongoing quest for finding his own humanity, and the ultimate human sacrifice is to lay down your life for others.

Not to mention that, in TNG:Measure of a Man, Data also says that in backing up his memories they would be "Reduced to the mere facts of the events. The substance--the flavor of the moment could be lost." This also given the fact that B4's consruction is far inferior to Data, it makes no sense for Data to return to his old self completely.

Two things about all this, though. First, Gene Roddenberry said that only the shows and the movies are official canon, so bringing Data back in a comic book doesn't count. Second, given that Data's supposed return has no direct effect on the shows or movies, Brent Spiner himself has played no part in it.

Now, if what you're referring to is the end of Nemesis where Data's memories are resurfacing, I feel obligated to point you again to what Data said in Measure of a Man, which makes B4 more of a hope for the future that Soong's work is not lost rather than a way for Data to come back.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

They had a substitute Data at the ready!!! ;)

• Again, B4 is not Data--not officially anyway. Data himself said there is an ineffable quality to memory that a simple data transfer would lack. That and Data transferred his memories in order to give B4 a proper chance at life. Data wasn't attempting to reproduce his own personality like Dr. Ira Graves did.

• @Chyron8472 said: Again, B4 is not Data--not officially anyway. Data himself said there is an ineffable quality to memory that a simple data transfer would lack. That and Data transferred his memories in order to give B4 a proper chance at life. Data wasn't attempting to reproduce his own personality like Dr. Ira Graves did.

Officially...yes he is. Star Trek Online's continuity states that Data's memory engrams finally took over B4 and Data even assisted in upgrading the positronic relays so he wouldn't be inferior.

Frankly, I enjoyed Nemesis. Not my favorite, but hardly as bad as 5.

• The Innkeepers -

I pooped in my pantaloons watching a quirky blonde and a Bill Murray impersonator get killed to DEATH by ghosts.

I give it a 0/10 because it scared me.

Add Comment