Menu
User Avatar Image

Aggressive TWD comments on TTG blog in entries for entirely different franchises

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 6.5K users

Let me just say something first. I love The Walking Dead so far. I think it's the best thing Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse, and I'm not complaining about the game itself in any way.

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? Fine. I admit Telltale needs to communicate stuff like this better myself. But it seems like that's all that's ever discussed anymore. It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

But what really gets me is how the blog posts about the Sam and Max/Monkey Island sales got flooded with comments going "Don't care, where's the next Walking Dead episode?" Maybe it's just because I love Sam and Max and Monkey Island, but that kind of stuff just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, let's be fair, everyone's new at first. You don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of Telltale's library to be here (though it helps ;) ). And no, you don't have to care about those games. But keep it to yourself, especially if you're going to use it as an excuse to segue into something completely irrelevant. What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get this off my chest.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "TWD fans are trolls"

That pretty much sums up the spirit of the thread. I don't think the OP would disagree.

• How about:

The TWD LOLtroll thread?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Cheeseness said: "Inappropriate fan behaviour,"

@Cheeseness said: "TWD fans are trolls"

@Cheeseness said: The TWD LOLtroll thread?

So, Cheeseness as the only one who understood reason (b) for the proposed thread title change, eh? You can do better.

Anthony would surely disagree with what this thread has become. Reading the original post in detail, he doesn't make the mistake to pin inappropriate behavior on every TWD fan; and in fact he outs himself as a fan of TWD himself - the game at least. He doesn't insult, he pleads. The clientele he addresses and finds unbearable is a rather specific and small one: those who flood blog posts with misplaced TWD related comments.

• @Cheeseness said: Upon what do you base that assumption? It's factually incorrect.

It's interesting to see how dismissive many new people seem to be of Telltale's previous endeavours and community.

It's not assumption, it's comedic exaggeration (a very blatant exaggeration too, do you take everything with such stonefaced literalism?) to show the huge numbers of people The Walking brought in, plus how TellTale's other great games weren't exactly in danger of mainstream attention.

• @Vainamoinen said: So, Cheeseness as the only one who understood reason (b) for the proposed thread title change, eh? You can do better.

Anthony would surely disagree with what this thread has become. Reading the original post in detail, he doesn't make the mistake to pin inappropriate behavior on every TWD fan; and in fact he outs himself as a fan of TWD himself - the game at least. He doesn't insult, he pleads. The clientele he addresses and finds unbearable is a rather specific and small one: those who flood blog posts with misplaced TWD related comments.

You're making him out to be way more civil and rational than he actually is. He calls the fans huge jackasses and says they are bitching. That's why this thread got flamed with hate. Read this:

@Vainamoinen said: it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Fine, "TWD is bringing Trolls and People Bitching"

He calls the fans "a huge jackass" and says they are "bitching" indirectly. He's being super passive aggressive, which makes it more annoying to people.

Don't mistake his vagnuess for being rational and not pointing out all fans. His aim is set at all the new fans brought by TWD. He's part of a old school civilized TT fanbase (that never existed).

He even said this thread is a rant. His whole goal was to talk down on people. You can't off topic on a post that was made just to rant. Can you? I don't think so.

• @Red Panda said: He calls the fans huge jackasses and says they are bitching.

Wow, if anybody is misrepresenting the OP, it's you.

He specifically says that he would be a "jackass" if he exhibited a particular type of behaviour. At no point does he say that all of the new people that have come in are practicing this behaviour. He says that "it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community," which is not to say that all new people are behaving like this.

As somebody who's been vaguely present member of the Telltale community over the past 5 years, I feel that it's up to me to correct you in your false belief that things weren't any better before. The kind of behaviour that the OP is talking about is uncivilised, and we had none of it (certainly not of the voracity that we've seen recently) before the Universal deal started to bear fruit.

@Red Panda said: It's not assumption, it's comedic exaggeration (a very blatant exaggeration too, do you take everything with such stonefaced literalism?) to show the huge numbers of people The Walking brought in, plus how TellTale's other great games weren't exactly in danger of mainstream attention.

It's the internet, this is a fairly heated issue, etc.. There are more reasons to take things literally in this conversation than not.

Either way, having a large number of mainstream fans in itself isn't something I care enough about to be for or against. It doesn't seem to have impacted very heavily on the quality of games that are being made, so the only real difference is the ways in which the dynamics of the community have changed (this includes the ways in which Telltale interact with their fans, just as much as the behaviours of the fans themselves), and as this thread has shown, there have been some pretty negative outcomes.

@Red Panda said: Anthony would surely disagree with what this thread has become.

I think it's a pretty tough issue to get proper discussion on. It's pretty close to home for newcomers who're worried about feeling alienated, and it's hard for those of us who've been grossly offended by recent events to stay objective too.

• @Cheeseness said:

He specifically says that he would be a "jackass" if he exhibited a particular type of behaviour.

So, let me ask you this then. If he would be a Jackass for exhibiting that behavior, does that make a person that does exhibit that behavior a jackass? Yes. And who does he say is doing that? New people to the forums brought by the TWD. So, I think I was right.

At no point does he say that all of the new people that have come in are practicing this behaviour. He says that "it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community," which is not to say that all new people are behaving like this.

You're splitting hairs. Fine, not "all," but what is "a lot"? Most? 99%? It's vague but it's clear it's not favorable to new people to the forums.

The kind of behaviour that the OP is talking about is uncivilised, and we had none of it (certainly not of the voracity that we've seen recently).

Do you count calling people Jackass and saying bitching is civilized? And he's been here a while.

Thanks for setting me straight, or whatever self-righteous thing you think you're doing, but several other members have contradicted your testimony. If this were a court case based on testimony alone you'd be losing badly.

Nobody seems to agree with you, even among people that have been here just as long or longer, and you're not acknowledging that. You should really just drop that point.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Anthony is using a "walk in my shoes" communicative strategy here.

On the one hand, that allows him to insult himself as the "huge jackass" if he were to apply the same whole blog & forum release date topic universal all covering nougat spread. Now, I agree that this rhetoric finesse doesn't acquit him of potentially insulting people. But compared to what I have become used to in the past six months, it's a damn fine start. Maybe Anthony is indeed far less 'civil and rational' than I 'made him', but that would be in huge part due to the fact that I had half a year of continuously lowered expectations by now. And I STILL say that a few loud and offensive voices are the problem, not a crowd.

On the other hand, Anthony explicitly narrows the group that he feels "pissed off" by. He shifts his anger towards the blog; he shifts it towards a very special kind of comment. I would even assume that of the people on the blog who are troubling us most, only a very small minority even frequents the forum. I don't see the aggressive Telltale blog commenters and the Telltale forum community as mutually exclusive groups, but I dare say they seldom intersect. As an extension of Anthony's theory, I would indeed say that some people are so opposed to 'being part of the community' that they don't even register. This being the youtube thumbs-down approach to commenting; this being an attempt at keeping the conversation entirely one-sided for fear of a contrary opinion.

Right now, people get insulted and stalked on the blog. Whatever you might think of the ones stalked, we would certainly agree that this has_to_stop.

• Look, I can prove this thread is about talking shit.

Let's assume the best case. He's pleading for some people to stop trolling blog post and forums.

Now, who would disagree with that? Has anybody disagreed with that? No. It's not even debatle or up for discussion. WE ALL AGREE ON THAT.

What we all don't agree on, and have been discussing, is if TWD fans are trolling "huge jackasses" and that love "bitching," which has cause this heated debate.

You don't have to take my word. Prove me wrong by find JUST ONE POST where someone seriously disagree that people shouldn't troll and spam blogs and the forums. One. You can't do it.

Now there are several post talking about his derogatory behavior and language. It's littered throughout the thread. In fact, it's all of them, except the post were people agree with him, which EVERYBODY does.

Thus, I prove my point. And the title should be "TWD fans are trolls" b/c that's what this thread comes down to.

• @Red Panda said: So, let me ask you this then. If he would be a Jackass for exhibiting that behavior, does that make a person that does exhibit that behavior a jackass? Yes. And who does he say is doing that? New people to the forums brought by the TWD. So, I think I was right.

I reread the original post and thought it was pretty clear the he's referring to two subgroups; people who post inappropriate comments about TWD in unrelated blog entries and a cross-section of people who relentlessly post/create threads kvetching about release dates. He was also careful to note in his post that he believed (as do I) that TT needs to adopt better communication strategies regarding release dates, bugs and other related matters.

@Red Panda said: You're splitting hairs. Fine, not "all," but what is "a lot"? Most? 99%? It's vague but it's clear it's not favorable to new people to the forums.

See my reply above. Personally, I see the group he's referring to as a vocal minority, and I find them incredibly irritating myself. As a somewhat new member to these forums, that -- and the bizarre levels of hostility that I see almost everywhere in TWD discussion forums -- put me off from posting at all.

@Red Panda said: Do you count calling people Jackass and saying bitching is civilized? And he's been here a while.

The jackass thing was an example he was using to illustrate his point, and bitching is a synonym for complaining. The people he is referring to complain. I don't see what the problem is here. It's accurate.

@Red Panda said: Thanks for setting me straight, or whatever self-righteous thing you think you're doing, but several other members have contradicted your testimony. If this were a court case based on testimony alone you'd be losing badly. Nobody seems to agree with you, even among people that have been here just as long or longer, and you're not acknowledging that. You should really just drop that point.

I absolutely agree 100% with him, and I'm sure many people do too. These people are probably hesitant to respond, as I was, because they're wary of getting verbally attacked in these forums, which has happened to me before here.

This discussion has been closed.