140 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, Telltale, I think, for all intents and purposes had created Lilly in the game to be the same one in the comic. It's obvious this is true due to Lilly having the same last name in the game as the comic character and having the same background (working at the Air Force Base).

Kirkman would have known about the fact that Telltale was using Lilly in the game, since we all knew from way back that characters such as Lilly, Glenn and Hershel from the comic were going to appear in the game. Instead he decided to write his book and use the same character with a different back story, which is extremely unfortunate.

Also, I'm positive Lilly used to be on this Telltale page announcing the survivors that are in the game from the comic:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-962

She's not there anymore. Lilly in the game, I guess, is officially no longer the Lilly from the comic.

• @Vainamoinen said: I don't understand how this could have happened. Books aren't written and published in weeks. The plans for this publication and the plans for Telltale's game must have coincided.

This.

• To be fair, Kirkman was quoted in one interview -- I'll try to find the link -- in which he's extremely vague about whether Lilly in the game is the same as comic Lilly. So he was playing it pretty close to the vest from the start. That said, based on the episode three achievement list (the original one), Telltale was working under the assumption that the two were one and the same. Kirkman had ample time to correct them -- I mean, it's his universe, so you think he'd look at this stuff at least somewhat closely -- and he didn't. I love his comics and I love TWD, but that was seriously not cool.

• @lucidity02 said: To be fair, Kirkman was quoted in one interview -- I'll try to find the link -- in which he's extremely vague about whether Lilly in the game is the same as comic Lilly. So he was playing it pretty close to the vest from the start. That said, based on the episode three achievement list (the original one), Telltale was working under the assumption that the two were one and the same. Kirkman had ample time to correct them -- I mean, it's his universe, so you think he'd look at this stuff at least somewhat closely -- and he didn't. I love his comics and I love TWD, but that was seriously not cool.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/22/the-walking-dead-9-minutes-with-robert-kirkman/

"PSB: Speaking of the novels, I recently finished The Rise of the Governor. And I understand the next book Road to Woodbury will focus on Lili, an infamous character from the comics. Will there be any tie-in to the game? Is there any chance Lili appear in future episodes of the game, for example?

RK: There will definitely be a character named Lili in the game. Whether or not that ends up being the same character we know and love from the comic and the upcoming novel remains to be seen. But yeah, the new novel comes out in October and I’m excited about it. The novel series, the comic series, and the video game all are intertwined in the same universe. Keeping that continuity straight is something that’s been very important to me, and yeah, we’ll definitely see them continue to connect in a lot of interesting ways moving forward."

He cares about continuity, hmm? I haven't read the book, but it could have easily been Alice that came to Woodbury in the book, instead of Lilly. Especially since the descriptions I've read of the book say that Lilly bumps heads with how the Governor runs Woodbury, it would make more sense having it be Alice to show why she so willingly leaves the town with Rick, Glenn and Michonne. Oh well I guess. It doesn't matter now.

• Its like telling George Lucas to not include something in his movies. He has the right to change whatever he wants in the story and in his universe. And like the mod said it takes months, maybe even years to write a good novel. You can't make base everything off of Telltales game, they did not create the walking dead universe.

• @Motordead said: Its like telling George Lucas to not include something in his movies. He has the right to change whatever he wants in the story and in his universe. And like the mod said it takes months, maybe even years to write a good novel. You can't make base everything off of Telltales game, they did not create the walking dead universe.

Sure, of course he has the right. But what I'm saying is that he should have at least given Telltale a heads up. Shit, they could have just changed the character's *name*, thus avoiding all of this confusion and potential continuity problems. It's not his responsibility, sure, but like I said, I think that TT was working under the assumption that she was the same character. If he had just given them a heads up early in the process, maybe everyone could have avoided the delayed release of episode three.

• I kind of equally blame both. Kirkman for not putting in the effort to make it cannon and TT for using a comic book character and protagonist from a fucking novel as a major character. They should have done what they did with Glenn. That was the best way to approach it I believe.

• @Red Panda said: I kind of equally blame both. Kirkman for not putting in the effort to make it cannon and TT for using a comic book character and protagonist for a fucking novel as a major character. They should have done what they did with Glenn. That was the best way to approach it I believe.

Yeah, I see your point. Like I mentioned above, Telltale could have just named the character Sylvia or Edna or whatever and there wouldn't be any confusion about what was canon and what wasn't -- or they could have just had Lilly show up, chat a little bit in episode one and then bounce.

That said, novels take a long time to write, and I feel like there was ample time for Kirkman to step in and send an email that said "Sup, fools? Hey, Lilly in the novel is totally different from the character you've created. Want me to add a little throwaway line into the novel that says that prior events have turned her into a timid character totally unlike the one you're depicting in your game? Cool. I'll do that."

That's an oversimplification, maybe, and Kirkman DOES own the universe, but it would have been a cool thing for him to do. I'm a little surprised he didn't.

Add Comment