1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I'm downloading it now, so I guess we'll find out!

Oh, and Giana Sisters is actually pretty good. It's one of those 'frustrating but fun' games that I love and loathe so much. Finding all the hidden gems is proving to be an absolute bitch in places, and I died way to often in Level 4, but whatever. I'll keep going, but won't try going for all the gems until there's a walkthrough - for when I get stuck. AND NOT BEFORE.

Hint for Level 2: In the tunnel after the 'castle', look at the rock above it. One section's cracked - use the fire-charge move to crack it and bounce your way up.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I think I'd rather have a hint for level 4 (?). There's a bridge in the background and I THINK I have to walk over it, but I don't know how.

• Pssh. Best of luck with that one - it's the one I kept dying on. I was also one giant gem short, so GRR.

EDIT: Tiny and Big. Hmm. Not one I'll keep playing. I'm not a huge fan of physics puzzlers, but I thought this one might get me into it. Eh, not so much. It's not a terrible game, just very repetitive.

• @Gibbeynator said: I'm not sure what games Microsoft has that would be worth putting on GOG

Age of Empires
    Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome
    Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
    Age of Empires II: The Conquerors
    Age of Mythology
    Age of Mythology: The Titans

I love those games, and would buy them all on GOG if I didn't own physical copies.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: Pssh. Best of luck with that one - it's the one I kept dying on. I was also one giant gem short, so GRR.

Finished it with a LOT of gems missing. That level was a bitch, and it was only number 4?!?

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: LucasArts, well, yeah, LucasArts. I've got my 10 adventures CD, which still works peachy with ScummVM, and even Full Throttle works halfway decent with the help of this genius little tool, so the only adventures I miss playing are Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island. Now Grim Fandango I got to ALMOST work these last years. Then it started crashing, but by then I was already so unnerved by the ludicrous controls that I didn't want to continue anyway. That leaves me with Curse and only Curse, which by now I've bought twice. So, also not a deal I look forward to too much. :(

It sounds like it's been a while since you used it (since Full Throttle plays pretty much spot-on now), but The Curse of Monkey Island also plays great in ScummVM. Also, Grim Fandango now plays great in ScummVM's sister project, ResidualVM. For Grim, ResidualVM really is the best choice for modern machines, as it's a real hassle to get working (as you mentioned). Grim works wonderfully with ResidualVM though. I've completed it twice on Windows 7 64-bit with ResidualVM, and the program never crashed once. :D

@Vainamoinen said: I thought that Microsoft would be the most interesting candidate, but after going through their back catalog, I found mostly duds. So... not interested in this announcement. :(

Microsoft purchased so many companies over the years though, that there's bound to be some gems in their back catalog (like with Activision and the Sierra/Infocom games).

• Launching today on GOG (and not on Steam, as is legally required for everyone talking about this game to mention) is Incredipede. Standard $14.99 price tage, but it's currently down at $11.99 until November 1st.

Also, sometimes a picture can say a thousand words, but it only takes two to get me excited!

• @flesk said: Age of Empires
    Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome
    Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
    Age of Empires II: The Conquerors
    Age of Mythology
    Age of Mythology: The Titans

I love those games, and would buy them all on GOG if I didn't own physical copies.

Yes to all of these.

I never played Rise of Rome, so I'd at least buy that one. And I'd probably buy the others as well just because.

• @Alcoremortis said: Yes to all of these.

I never played Rise of Rome, so I'd at least buy that one. And I'd probably buy the others as well just because.

Are any of those games okay for beginners? I've been meaning to try XCOM because of the ridic amount of hoopla it's been getting, but then I remembered that I suck at strategy games and would probably need practice before even trying to jump into XCOM.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Gave up on Giana Sisters, which is REALLY painful.

I just spent 90 minutes on level 6, but had to give up on it due to time constraints. I won't be able to start off where I left, I would have to do the entire level again. I won't do that.

The calculation is a rational one. I don't have that kind of time. The game will get more difficult with time. I can not save in a level. I will need 2-3 hours to finish levels, possibly even more. It's not the patience. I've got plenty patience. But I can't spend that much time in a single sitting. I'm not 14 any more, there are things besides games in my life, some good, some unfortunately necessary.

Giana Sisters is a cute little piece of work, but I can't finish it. The individual challenges of those levels are hard enough, but with no time to pause and continue where you left off, absolutely impossible for a grown person with some daily chores and without the reflexes of a jet pilot. I will never again help a company kickstart their games if they promise an "old school experience". Old school sucks. Old school is designers not knowing how to motivate their players. Old school is developers priding themselves with how hard their games are. Old school is game makers who feed on people's frustration instead of giving them a good time.

I think the original players of the GianaSisters game have all grown up, while BlackForest Games' designers obviously haven't.

Add Comment