User Avatar Image

Co-Operative Adventure Games?!?!

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 499 users

2 questions to start this posting off:

1) Have you ever played an adventure game? Probably, otherwise you wouldn't be here, and you know that they're (debatably) the most fun genre.

2) Have any of you folks ever played a Co-Operative (2 or more human players on the same team) game? Probably, then you know how much those can be too!

A Co-Operative Adventure game is something I've NEVER seen but (I think) would be more fun than any other type of game out there! If anyone's seen a game like this let me know, because I want to play it NOW :P

I've never seen any, but even if a few of these DO exist, I still think it'd be something EXCELLENT for Telltale to work on.

Maybe not in the game they're currently working on (with the caveman-looking guy up top?), since it's probably a good portion completed already and adding co-op would take a lot of extra work, but in one of their future titles for sure.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Uru (the Massively Multiplay Online Myst game) was supposed to have co-op puzzles online, but the online component of that was cancelled.

On the other hand, I think every adventure game is co-op. When I was young my dad and myself would sit down and play them together. Recently I was visiting home on vacation so I brought some old Lucasarts adventures, since the computers there aren't up to today's gaming standard, and my sister saw me and sat down and started playing along with me. So I think they've always been co-op.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think that's a great idea!

ChooseStevo: I understand what you mean by that, but I think that a REAL co-op adventure game would be awesome. Even an action/adventure hybrid with the emphasis on adventure would be a lot of fun.

The dynamics for something like that would be awesome. You could even have the option of having the player control both guys if playing single player.

I'd love to play something like Sam and Max with one guy as sam and one as max

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I don't see how an adventure game can be co-op. I mean, the whole point is to engrose the player in the story (like a good book) and someone watching and giving suggestions kinda ruins the effect. An online multiplayer adventure game would be interesting, although I have know idea how it would be done if it is even possibly.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

From what I understand, that's what Telltale is here for - to be innovative and revitalize the Adventure game industry, and what I've heard so far indicates that they're exactly that.

A Co-Op Adventure game, if executed well, would be SURE to do that. Sam & Max is a perfect example (one player as sam, one as max). I mean you can't very well make it a 64 player game, but 2 or 3 wouldn't be impossible. Even if they aren't making another Sam & Max game, the idea is still useable.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yes, Tis true that the once humble Myst games had been turned into a MMO, but URU is not dead. "Until URU " has picked up where the makers left off.

URU was planned to be this massive online world where you could walk around as an avatar (human of cause) and solve puzzles in the world of the D'ni. The plan was that the story would split in two, and you had to decide which side of the "war" you were going to be on.

There were plans for great puzzles that required multiple people there to accomplish the puzzles and that these puzzles would be "found" as time went on.

Sadly there is no new content for URU anymore, but we can still play the online game, as it was before it shut down, meet others interested in the games and occasionally have the fun of helping a newbie solve the puzzles.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I played Grim Fandango with my girlfriend - playing adventure games cooperative is better than watching movies, if you got a little patience. :)

A friend of mine always plays the hard puzzle games (Uru, Myst 4, ...) with another guy - he hardly ever needs walkthroughs.

It's sad that the MMOG version of Uru isn't online anymore.
    I'd really like to try it...

Just finished Uru - To D'ni yesterday!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I played Grim Fandango with my girlfriend - playing adventure games cooperative is better than watching movies, if you got a little patience. :)

A friend of mine always plays the hard puzzle games (Uru, Myst 4, ...) with another guy - he hardly ever needs walkthroughs.

It's sad that the MMOG version of Uru isn't online anymore.
    I'd really like to try it...

Just finished Uru - To D'ni yesterday![/quote]

I would play with a friend.... If a friend would play the same games.

Also you can play URU online still.

[quote]Untìl Uru
    Uru was built for people - a place for people to meet, grow and wonder.

The deep city came alive with the sounds of life - and then it was silent again.

But the life of Uru is in the people. It will not awaken again until Uru has people again

...Untìl Uru has people again.

This is not Uru, or Uru Live. It's only a breath, a spirit of what Uru was. It's a heartbeat until Uru can slowly grow again.

...Untìl Uru can slowly grow again.
    [/quote]

For a once off payment of $5.95US you can play in the cavern to your hearts content

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I played Grim Fandango with my girlfriend - playing adventure games cooperative is better than watching movies, if you got a little patience.[/quote]

You're right. When I was 10-15, I played the SCUMM games with my school friends. Sometimes we gathered around the same computer to play for a while, but not always. We also played alone, and when we met during school, we talk about what we were able to do on our own last evening. And together we were always able to finish the games.

By the way, before Internet and those too-easy-to-access walkthrough, adventure games were interesting multiplayer games, even though the "multiplayer" functionality was not directly integrated to the game. Unfortunately with the walkthroughs, people tend to get lazy so this doesn't quite work anymore. But I'll tell you (though, if you are true fans of adventure games, you probably know it...) Walkthroughs are EVIL... [>:)]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I don't see how an adventure game can be co-op. I mean, the whole point is to engrose the player in the story (like a good book) and someone watching and giving suggestions kinda ruins the effect. An online multiplayer adventure game would be interesting, although I have know idea how it would be done if it is even possibly.[/quote]

if you added puzzles to day of the tentacle, multiple ways of solving some, more locations per "time", and didn t start with laverne doing nothing, you could easily have 3 players playing at the same time. :)

same goes for maniac mansion, and same with the Goblins series (Gobliiins, gobliins 2 and goblins 3) you could have multiple players.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]same goes for maniac mansion, and same with the Goblins series (Gobliiins, gobliins 2 and goblins 3) you could have multiple players.[/quote]
    Goblins 3 had only a single player character, so that wouldn't work. The previous ones were "cooperative" in much the same sense as DOTT and Maniac Mansion.

[quote]You're right. When I was 10-15, I played the SCUMM games with my school friends. Sometimes we gathered around the same computer to play for a while, but not always. We also played alone, and when we met during school, we talk about what we were able to do on our own last evening. And together we were always able to finish the games.[/quote]
    Same here. It's a great experience playing adventure games together even if the game itself only has one player character. The way you sort of collectively brainstorm your way through the game is great fun, and it's also great to play the same game separately, then meeting the group and sharing thoughts and solutions.

So I'd say adventure games are already co-op games but not in the "traditional" sense.

Add Comment