User Avatar Image

“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

posted by ZombieGoBoom on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Carley..."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

tbc

143 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ZombieGoBoom said: Be kind and leave some feedback. :)

You're doing this for yourself so I don't get why you want feed back but I'll give you some.

You write pulp fiction. Your characters are almost perfect. They don't have major flaws. The world gives them trouble sometime but they get out of it with little or no real trouble. And you use cliches a lot.

Your writing is popular b/c of this. People like familiar. The say, "Oh, that's what I would do or would expect to happen." And they think it's great b/c it fits their thinking. It works for TV and movies but then again that's why TV and movies are kind of boring.

There's nothing wrong with that but don't expect any Carley moments. Don't expect people to relate to your characters like the divide Lilly and Kenny created.

If you write from a perspective of "what would I do or expect?" then your characters will have the same personality. Seriously, none of your characters have any real distinguishable personality traits.

Hey man, all this is just advice. :mad: You can do whatever the fuck you want to do! lol

• @Red Panda said: You're doing this for yourself so I don't get why you want feed back but I'll give you some.

You write pulp fiction. Your characters are almost perfect. They don't have major flaws. The world gives them trouble sometime but they get out of it with little or no real trouble. And you use cliches a lot.

Your writing is popular b/c of this. People like familiar. The say, "Oh, that's what I would do or would expect to happen." And they think it's great b/c it fits their thinking. It works for TV and movies but then again that's why TV and movies are kind of boring.

There's nothing wrong with that but don't expect any Carley moments. Don't expect people to relate to your characters like the divide Lilly and Kenny created.

If you write from a perspective of "what would I do or expect?" then your characters will have the same personality. Seriously, none of your characters have any real distinguishable personality traits.

Hey man, all this is just advice. :mad: You can do whatever the fuck you want to do! lol

this.

• Chapter Eight: What was Lost

Winter came and went and despite the harsh temperatures and blowing snow, we received a much needed reprieve from the walkers. The drop in temperature froze them solid and allowed us to easily venture out more as long as the snow didn’t made the roads too impassable. The only danger besides the cold was the bandits and other survivors willing to fight over what was left which ended often in gunfire whenever we met. We suffered a few wounded from gunshots but nothing too serious except for one member from our group. His name was Andy, a middle-aged gentleman who was always eager to help out and we talked to each other often. He often said how glad he felt not to be worrying about walkers but instead he forgot to worry more about the bandits. Bastards.

Food and gas are a few things that are becoming an increasing concern because we know eventually it’s all going to run out. With the approach of spring and warmer weather we’re outlining some plans to become more self-sufficient. Pegs wants to expand her garden which means perhaps building a new wall or barrier to keep any walkers from trampling it or bandits from raiding it.

We’re looking at locating some solar panels or making wind turbines so we don’t have to burn precious gasoline running the generators. Michael is not crazy at the idea of sticking windmills high up in the air all around us. It could attract unwanted attention and a few of us tend to agree.

Spring is not far off and I’m heading out with the others to do a quick grab for whatever supplies are left before the walkers completely unthaw along with the melting snow. There are a few places in the neighboring towns we haven’t tried yet.

I still think about them when I’m alone with a moment to myself or lying in bed trying to sleep. Lee, Clementine, Kenny, Katjaa, Duck and Ben, I hope you are all safe.

Driving along the road to their next destination, they were forced to rely on the more fuel efficient vehicles. It was one of new Ford Escape hybrid SUVs. It definitely had better mileage compared to their gas hog humvee but without the protection and carrying capacity. Still, they have to make every drop of gas count now. The humvee will still be reserved for travelling into more dangerous areas.

In places there was still snow on the ground but the roads were completely passable now.

From behind the wheel Angel groaned as they drove around a bend in the road. “That’s not good.”

From the backseat of the vehicle, Riley and Carley were chatting amongst themselves when they looked up.

“What is it?” Carley asked when she saw it. “Damn.”

It was a walker crossing the road. They were starting to thaw in the warming weather, a little sooner than they had hoped. Its movements were very sluggish. The cold was still having an impact on it as the lone walker struggled along as Angel just drove around it.

In the passenger seat, Michael tried to remain upbeat. “We knew it was going to happen eventually but hopefully not all of them are mobile yet.”

They were driving eastward on Road 27 when a few miles later, Angel spotted a small blue car parked along side of the road pointed west.

“Hey, Michael I think that’s new.” He pointed out to the sergeant.

“Yeah,” Michael replied. They droved along this road two weeks before and this car definitely wasn’t here last time. “Pull up and let’s take a look.”

Angel stopped their SUV right beside the apparently abandoned car. They all got out with weapons at the ready. The hood to the engine was up and Angel went over to inspect it as Riley and Carley watched their surroundings.

Michael checked the doors to the car to find them locked before trying to peer through the windows. “Definitely looks like someone has been living out of this vehicle. I see blankets, a few water bottles, clothes and canned goods.”

“Looks like they had problems with the radiator,” Angel said before holding up a roll of duct tape he found lying just inside the engine compartment. “And they tried to fix it.”

“So where are they?” Riley asked, eyeing the nearby tree line. “Did they try to walk out?”

“I see some tracks here,” Carley pointed out, seeing some footprints in the remaining snow. Also listening, she could faintly hear the running water from a nearby stream before turning to the others. “I think they might have gone into the woods for water, maybe for the radiator.”

Angel put his hand on the motor of the car and it was cold. “If they did, they must be taking their time. Think we should investigate?”

Michael thought it over for a second before shaking his head. “No. The owners might return at any second and I don’t want any confrontations. Let’s go.”

They started to return to their vehicle when Carley walked around the car but paused to look inside when her eye caught something familiar looking in the back seat. She leaned in closer to the car window when they all heard a gunshot ringing out from the woods in the direction of the sound of the running stream.

Alert they lifted their weapons at the ready but they quickly realized they weren’t the targets.

“That shot was in the other direction.” Riley observed.

“Now should we check?” Angel asked.

Then there was another gunshot, followed by two more. Michael didn’t like this and wasn‘t going to risk anyone’s life by walking into those woods. “Not worth the chance. Everyone back into the vehicle.”

Carley didn’t move an inch from the blue car as she stared back through the car window again. Her eyes were focused on a very familiar looking blue and white baseball cap resting on the backseat. Carley felt the blood drain from her body straight down to her feet, when she heard the gunshots again.

“Impossible.” Carley looked into the woods, towards the source of the discharging firearm. It was probably one in a million but it had to be hers! If she was here, then he had to be here as well.

Michael, Riley and Angel were getting into the vehicle as the sergeant called out to her. “Let’s go Carley.” Then he watched helplessly as she took off into the woods, in a full run, towards the gunshots. “CARLEY!” He shouted after her.

The running woman paused only for a second to yell back. “They’re out there!”

A surprised Angel and Riley looked to Michael before the army sergeant just grimaced in confusion over Carley’s sudden rash behavior. “Shit! After her!”

Together they chased after Carley as Michael wondered what the hell she was talking about. Whatever she was up to, Carley was putting herself and all of them at risk. There was no way of knowing what was waiting for them in the forest.

Still pursuing Carley, they watched as she reached a sharp slope as the sound of the running stream growing louder. She disappeared out of sight for a moment as she ran down the incline. When they reached the edge of the slope themselves they all came to a halt at what they saw below them.

There at the bottom of the slope, close to the stream was a little girl, next to the body of a fallen adult, concealed under a blanket with countless walkers closing in on them. The undead moved like a wave, shuffling forward amongst the trees and across the stream towards the child and the motionless adult. Charging to meet them was Carley, firing her rifle as she rushed to the girl’s side pushing her down to place herself between the walkers and the two helpless victims.

Michael had a choice, either help or abandon them but of the two there was only one he could live with. He ran forward towards the undead horde with Riley and Angel just behind him. Together on each side they formed up on Carley into a defensive line before adding their firepower to hers into the mass of walkers at a range of barely hundred feet.

On paper, Michael’s team held every advantage possible except for one, numbers. There must have been 200 plus walkers facing them and a lot of things could go wrong and Michael had seen it all happen countless times. The US military was wiped out within a couple of weeks of the outbreak trying to contain it and that was the problem, the outbreak couldn’t possibly be contained. By the time everyone realized the sheer magnitude of the situation they were dealing with it was too late.

Smaller military units simply ran out of ammo quickly against the sheer numbers of walkers they encountered and were killed. Some of them didn’t have men or the firepower to stop the undead masses which advanced faster than they could kill them, overrunning their positions.

Tunnel vision is another danger for individual soldiers, get too focus on what is ahead, you could forget to check your flanks and rear and the miss the one’s creeping up on you. Another is that people, even veteran soldiers could simply crack and panic from the stress because there are some things the human mind can’t simply handle. Like fighting walking corpses, day after nightmarish day. These are problems they were still facing today.

Michael kept doing a quick check on their flanks and rear every ten seconds when his rifle suddenly ran dry. In one smooth motion, he ejected the empty magazine and slapped a fresh one in and continued firing.

There were just so many of them but the cold was still affecting their movements and slowing them. Michael’s team was also managing to kill them fast enough that the bodies were piling up. So much that the walkers started tripping and falling over the bodies of their slain companions. Still, the undead kept on coming, either walking or crawling and a hit to the head was the only thing that would stop them permanently.

After a while Michael started to feel more like a robot than human. A computerized firing control system might as well have been operating his weapon.

Select Target… Lock on… Shoot!

Slowly, after what felt like forever, the mass of walkers slowly begin to thin out until his team’s guns finally grew silent. They all simply ran out of targets to shoot at.

Lowering the smoking barrels of their weapons, just starting twenty feet away was a massive pile of undead. It was almost four feet high in places, fifty feet wide and nearly sixty feet deep. The silence was so deafening to Michael before he heard someone cursing.

“Oh fuck, fuck,” It was Angel trying to calm his nerves. “Let’s never try that again!”

Michael quietly nodded in agreement. If they had to fight walkers, it would be from strong defensive positions and preferably at longer distances, not in the open and at near point blank range. What they did was dangerous and stupid but at least they survived.

** “Je crois que je viens âgée de 10 ans en 30 secondes!” Riley uttered in her native language as she replaced a fresh magazine into her pistol, her hands trembling slightly. (** “I think I just aged 10 years in 30 seconds!”)

Angel looked at her. “I don’t know what you said but I agree!”

Then Michael heard another new sound, the little girl behind them was crying. He turned and saw Carley moving to check her but all he felt was anger at the moment. Carley took such a foolish risk rushing out here not knowing what was waiting for them and putting the rest of them in danger too. Michael opened his mouth to speak but he was instantly silenced when the little girl, dressed in winter clothing and cap cried out literally flinging herself into the woman’s waiting arms.

“Carley!”

Michael was taken back. What? They know each other?

Carley dropped to her knees, embracing the little girl tightly. “It’s okay Clementine, we’re here. You’re safe.”

Clementine?

Now Michael was staring at the situation before him in utter disbelief. Michael is an army Sergeant in the US military (or was) and is a very practical and realistic man. He doesn’t really believe in luck or even a guiding hand of a higher power. His experience in Iraq and the events of the last few months of the apocalypse showed him that things occur if you make it happen, let it happen or it will simply happen regardless whatever you do.

However, the odds of them just stumbling across the very two people that Carley had been hunting for months in a state the size of Georgia is immeasurable. It would be right up there with, well the dead raising from the grave and now it looks like both just happened.

For a moment, he wondered if something did guide them here because nothing else made sense.

He turned his attention to the figure on the ground covered by a heavy blanket. He could see the person’s head and it was a black male.

Lee Everett, I presume.

Carefully he approached him and knelt down and checked his neck for a pulse and found one, it was weak though.

“Michael is he?” Carley asked hesitantly.

He looked up and found both the woman and the little girl, in her arms, were staring at him nervously. The little girl had the most intense brown eyes ever and they were now locked on onto his, with tears flowing freely, waiting for his reply.

“He’s alive but barely.” He told them, grateful it was indeed good news. He kept checking him and found some bandages soaked with dry blood on forehead.

Michael looked to the little girl again. “Sweetheart, what happened here?”

“The car overheated and Lee fixed it. We needed some water but he was concerned about using our own drinking water because we had so little left,” Clementine explained as she struggled to compose herself, wiping her eyes. “We then heard the stream nearby and we tried to get some there but Lee slipped and hit his head. He wouldn’t wake-up and it was getting dark so I went back to the car and grabbed some blankets.”

She protected him from the cold but a troubling thought occurred to Michael. “How long were you out here?”

“Two days.”

“You were out here alone for two days!” Riley gasped, imagining the two of them exposed to the cold nights and the walkers.

Clementine nodded and a stunned Carley held her a bit tighter but Michael found himself admiring her. She was a brave and smart little kid, covering him trying to keep him warm.

“Clementine,” Carley slowly released the young girl to talk to her. “Where’s Ben and Kenny and his family?”

For a moment, Clementine looked sad again but she held back the tears and said softly. “Gone.”

As Carley comforted Clementine, Angel spotted something on the ground close to him. It was an emptied glock and he picked up the discarded pistol. It wasn’t one of theirs. “Who fired this?”

“I did,” Clementine answered quietly. “I knew the noise attracted them but one of them found us and I had to.”

A look of shock came over Angel’s face that an eight year old was trained to shoot a gun but all he could say at the moment was. “Did you get him?”

The little girl actually smiled slightly. “Yes.”

Brave, smart and apparently very capable, and firing that gun brought us to the rescue. Michael thought.

“Michael?” The tone of Riley’s voice alerted everyone.

Looking up they spotted even more walkers approaching. Not as many they faced the first time but enough to get Michael and the others moving.

“Everyone, back to the vehicle,” The Sergeant ordered as he reached down and grabbed Lee‘s unconscious body. “Angel, you’re on point. Riley, guard our rear and Carley and I will stay between you.”

Scooping Clementine in her arms, Carley watched as Michael lifted Lee up into a fireman’s carry. She had to fight down the instinct to ask if it was safe to move him simply because they didn’t have a choice. They had to get out of here before they’d eventually be overwhelmed by walkers. No telling how many of the undead heard their gun battle and were now closing in on them from every direction.

With Angel leading the way, they started back up the slope. Carley was following Michael and more than once she thought he was going to slip and fall. It wasn’t a steep climb but the ground was covered in a mixture of partially melted snow and ice but Michael kept his balance.

Once on level ground, they all easily hurried through the woods and back to the road and their vehicle. By the time they placed Lee in the back several walkers started appearing from the woods on either side of them, drawn by their gunfire.

Angel ushered Carley to the front passenger seat with Clementine still in her arms as he jumped into the back seat with Lee and Riley. Michael was already behind the wheel, starting the engine. They all got in and shut the doors. Putting it in gear, he hit the gas before quickly pulling a quick U-turn to put them on a course back for home.

Even more walkers were stepping out of the woods and onto the road. By now and Michael sped up to escape before they could block their path. He was heading straight into a small group in the middle of the road and he had no choice but to go through them.

Suddenly, Carley heard Michael exclaime. “Shit!”

He immediately hit the brakes and slowed the vehicle down to a crawl and almost gently bumped into the walkers, knocking them down. Then he hit the gas again and they all felt the vehicle rocked as the tires went over the undead bodies. In moments they were all in the clear.

Gasping and still tightly holding onto Clementine, Carley looked over to Michael. “What was that all about with hitting the brakes?”

Michael actually looked a little pale. “I almost forgot.” He replied.

“Forgot what?”

The sergeant glanced at her. “Look at what you are both sitting in front of.”

Carley glanced at Clementine who was seated on her lap before looking at the vehicle’s dashboard and felt a chill. She forgot about it too. On the dashboard directly in front of them was a large panel with small simple lettering in the bottom right corner, spelling out the word: AIRBAG.

If Michael would have hit those walkers with enough speed to deploy the airbag with Clementine on her lap, Carley didn’t want to think about it.

“Oh shit.” Carley muttered.

“That’s a swear.” Clementine said, not realizing how close she came to being seriously injured or worse.

Smiling, she quickly kissed the top of Clementine’s head before looking back. “How is he?”

Riley was cleaning and changing the bandage to the wound on his forehead. “Vitals are still weak but he’s still with us.”

“Keep checking his pulse every five minutes.” Michael ordered. “Angel?”

From the back came his even reply. “I’m ready.”

Carley grew silent as she knew what was happening behind her. With Lee between them, Riley would be monitoring his vitals to be sure he’s still alive. As she did that, Angel would secure Lee’s wrist together with plastic ties, while watching him closely keeping his sidearm at the ready.

They all have seen how fast a person can turn, literally within minutes after death.

Quietly, Carley tried to will their vehicle back to the Nest and to the care of Doctor Cottle faster.

Next Chapter: Fatal Hope

Yeah, so if Carley is alive in my story why not go all out and save Lee while I’m at it.
    ;)

• Great chapter,can't wait for next!

• Nice writing, I'm excited for the next chapter :)

• you should contact a book publisher to publish this and make BIG BUTTS!
    I meant BIG BUCKS!

Add Comment