User Avatar Image

Aggressive TWD comments on TTG blog in entries for entirely different franchises

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 4.9K users

Let me just say something first. I love The Walking Dead so far. I think it's the best thing Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse, and I'm not complaining about the game itself in any way.

However, it seems like the game is bringing in a lot of people who, what's the nicest way to say this...aren't interested in being part of the community.

You're unhappy with the release schedule? Fine. I admit Telltale needs to communicate stuff like this better myself. But it seems like that's all that's ever discussed anymore. It'd be nice if we could at least keep that stuff contained to a single "release date bitching" thread.

But what really gets me is how the blog posts about the Sam and Max/Monkey Island sales got flooded with comments going "Don't care, where's the next Walking Dead episode?" Maybe it's just because I love Sam and Max and Monkey Island, but that kind of stuff just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, let's be fair, everyone's new at first. You don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of Telltale's library to be here (though it helps ;) ). And no, you don't have to care about those games. But keep it to yourself, especially if you're going to use it as an excuse to segue into something completely irrelevant. What would you think if, the next time Telltale did a Walking Dead-related blog post, I went "Don't care, where's Sam and Max Season 4?" Or how about I go into every single thread you make and say "Don't care, go buy my new book?" You'd probably think I was a huge jackass, and you'd be correct. Since apparently apathy needs to be broadcasted, I really don't care that you don't care.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get this off my chest.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The one thing I can say about the TWD fanbase compared to the old is they are a lot more enthusiastic about the game. They complain about dates but not the game.

It's not so much the case with other games.

• I'd never heard of Telltale before TWD and I'm pretty lovable, if I do say so myself.

• @Pride said: I'd never heard of Telltale before TWD and I'm pretty lovable, if I do say so myself.

Nobody doubts that Pride, but the whole point of this post is that with all the good that TWD has brought to Telltale, it has brought some trolls as well. That is who the original poster was talking about, and not yourself unless you intend to make an ass of yourself running around posting comments where they have no business being.

• Personally, I do find some people annoying but don't qualify them based on when they began posting. I don't think I'll be that into Fables (not that I know anything about it yet though) so I plan on integrating into the "shitted up" fanbase.

• @jweir said: Nobody doubts that Pride, but the whole point of this post is that with all the good that TWD has brought to Telltale, it has brought some trolls as well. That is who the original poster was talking about, and not yourself unless you intend to make an ass of yourself running around posting comments where they have no business being.

There's more than one way to troll and posting comments in the wrong area is less trolling and more rabid fans.

It's just one specific behavior that annoys people and it's frankly a silly thing to get mad about. How anal retentive does a person have to be to get mad a comment on a video game site is in the wrong place? What effect does it have? Are they made they wasted seconds reading it? Are they just super organization freaks that need things in their right place? What is the deal?

• @Red Panda said: There's more than one way to troll and posting comments in the wrong area is less trolling and more rabid fans.

It's just one specific behavior that annoys people and it's frankly a silly thing to get mad about. How anal retentive does a person have to be to get mad a comment on a video game site is in the wrong place? What effect does it have? Are they made they wasted seconds reading it? Are they just super organization freaks that need things in their right place? What is the deal?

The deal is that without order, there is chaos, which is why there are moderators in the first place. BUT, that doesn't mean you have to make them work harder by intentionally posting in the wrong place. It's pretty obvious that if the forum is (for example) for Monkey Island, it's really not the best place to be complaining about the release date.

• @Alex1939 said: I mean I am one of the GOOD new fans that makes this community the best not some old fuddy duddy Sam & Max player telling TWD fans to get off my lawn!

I feel like you are missing the point. A while ago, there was a blog post about Sam and Max, and instead of it being about that, it was BOMBARDED with angry Walking Dead fans. THOS are the people this thread is talking about, the ones that pointlessly attack others for their own goals. It doesn't matter at all if you don't play other telltale games, but when you go to that level, then we have a problem.
    Besides that look at Ranthony's avatar, he clearly came for SBCG4AP not Sam and Max

• @Vainamoinen said: Panda has argued in this direction by comparing present blog post comments with those at the time of Back to the Future. But parts of "the old community" neither liked Back to the Future nor Jurassic Park, so we'll have to redefine that nebulous core of yesterday's Telltale fans yet again. It's tedious, and it leads nowhere. Maybe you're an old school Telltale fan just by declaring yourself one.

Red Panda's comments regarding the BTTF blog post were in response to my refuting that things were always as aggressive as they are now (even though I was specifically talking about a time before the BTTF games). I don't believe in any real distinction between old and new fans, but I think it's a quantifiable fact that things have escalated over the past year to levels that have never before been seen, something supported by the BTTF blog Red Panda had highlighted.

It's awfully disappointing that there are individuals commenting who can't recognise that this thread is talking about behaviour, not about people, and not about taste. The "new" people can stay, and they can like whatever they want, but the behaviour has to stop.

There are no "fuddy duddy" people telling others to get off their lawn. There are people who have been legitimately offended and hurt by the unacceptable and inappropriate behaviour of others (as Vainamoinen has previously mentioned, in addition to the generally beligerant behaviour on the blog and elsewhere, there've also been very direct and targeted acts of hate against individuals), and I find the dismissal of that to be tremendously uncool.

• @Cheeseness said: Red Panda's comments regarding the BTTF blog post were in response to my refuting that things were always as aggressive as they are now (even though I was specifically talking about a time before the BTTF games). I don't believe in any real distinction between old and new fans, but I think it's a quantifiable fact that things have escalated over the past year to levels that have never before been seen, something supported by the BTTF blog Red Panda had highlighted.

It's awfully disappointing that there are individuals commenting who can't recognise that this thread is talking about behaviour, not about people, and not about taste. The "new" people can stay, and they can like whatever they want, but the behaviour has to stop.

There are no "fuddy duddy" people telling others to get off their lawn. There are people who have been legitimately offended and hurt by the unacceptable and inappropriate behaviour of others (as Vainamoinen has previously mentioned, in addition to the generally beligerant behaviour on the blog and elsewhere, there've also been very direct and targeted acts of hate against individuals), and I find the dismissal of that to be tremendously uncool.

[LIST=1]
    [*]Now it's pre BTTF time and not walking dead? Wow. That's a drastic shift in position. Way to stick with your guns.
    [*]The new fans can stay but have to behave? Are you serious? What are you going to do if they don't? You talk like you have actual power and control.
    [*]People are offended and hurt? Yeah, sorry. That's what you're choosing to believe, not what's there. I'm happy to say that offering a casual fictional insult that might be misinterpreted, which is not even remotely hateful (no matter which way you twist it), is totally more civilized than the kind of abhorrent behavior we're talking about.

What is your thinking? Posting about release dates is offensive and hurtful but saying people are "shitting up a fan base," calling them a "huge jackass," and saying they're "bitching" isn't? Wow. You have things so backwards.
    [/LIST]

• @Red Panda said: Now it's pre BTTF time and not walking dead? Wow. That's a drastic shift in position. Way to stick with your guns.

How is that a shift? I'd always said pre-Universal, and I called you out several times for ignoring that. Is there some way I can reiterate it that might actually be heard?
    @Red Panda said: The new fans can stay but have to behave? Are you serious? What are you going to do if they don't? You talk like you have actual power and control.
    Communities are deeply interactive things, and are influenced and controlled by collective behaviours. So long as there is inappropriate behaviour, I will continue to highlight it so that it can be understood, and perhaps convince others to be outspoken against it.

Interestingly, you yourself said that the kind of behaviour discussed in this thread should stop, and is "not even debatle or up for discussion". Upon what authority did you make that determination?
    @Red Panda said: People are offended and hurt? Yeah, sorry. That's what you're choosing to believe, not what's there. I'm happy to say that offering a casual fictional insult that might be misinterpreted, which is not even remotely hateful (no matter which way you twist it), is totally more civilized than the kind of abhorrent behavior we're talking about.
    lol, keep trying.

@Red Panda said: What is your thinking? Posting about release dates is offensive and hurtful but saying people are "shitting up a fan base," calling them a "huge jackass," and saying they're "bitching" isn't? Wow. You have things so backwards.

It's very obvious that I'm not talking about general release date complaints. Your ability to misinterpret, misconstrue and misappropriate the words of others almost seems intentional.

Are you denying Vainamoinen's account of people being stalked? Are you denying lucidity02's account of being attacked on these forums? Are you denying that comments like "walk off and die," "It shows how pathetic and imapteint you are," "So shut your mouth and go play your stupid dog and rabbit kiddie game," are more hurtful than saying that people who say that sort of stuff are "huge jackasses" (as if being accused of being a large mule is particularly offensive anyway)? Are you denying that comments like "All these people saying they don't care about Sam and Max make me want to cry. :(" are evidence of people feeling offended and hurt?

In case you're not aware, you are coming across as unnecessarily aggressive, and I'd like to ask you to please consider your attitude when posting. You can refute my arguments without resorting to cheap inflamatory or snide remarks like "Wow. You have things so backwards," "Way to stick with your guns," or repeatedly attempting to use my own words against me.

I find your comments to be amusing, but I am know there are others who would find them offputting and chose to not participate in the discussion because of that - which wouldn't be a very nice outcome, and is (at least in part) the sort of thing that we would hope to prevent by discouraging the kind of behaviour that this thread is about.

Edit: Vainamoinen, were you going to adjust the thread title, or are you still waiting for more suggestions? It does seem to be something that people are fixating on rather than the real message of the first post.

This discussion has been closed.