User Avatar Image

Episode 5, no thrill of anticipation?

posted by shedim on - last edited - Viewed by 625 users

Hey guys,

I've been barely able to wait for all the previous episodes of TWD but now since Lee's one of the walking dead himself, I feel like I don't care that much for the final episode because Lee will end up dead anyway and that's quite a lame ending. I feel kinda similar to how I felt playing ME3...it was all a waste of time, since the ending is going to suck regardless of what you did before. I would have preferred Lee dieing in the finale depending on your choices rather than railroad him to death, but TTG thinks different, obviously. Let's hope TWD isn't going to be the 2nd highly anticipated game in 2012 that has a terribad ending.

Are you guys still looking forward to the finale, or do you have mixed feelings about it?

76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @shedim said: I feel like I don't care that much for the final episode because Lee will end up dead anyway and that's quite a lame ending. I feel kinda similar to how I felt playing ME3...it was all a waste of time, since the ending is going to suck regardless of what you did before.

1. This line of reasoning baffles me now just as it did when ME3 fans whined about it. Yes, it looks like Lee is pretty much guaranteed a tragic fate. Are you seriously telling me that all tragedies are "lame?" Oedipus Rex? Hamlet? Macbeth? Heck, it's a zombie apocalypse story. You couldn't possibly have been expecting a bright, happy ending. ME3's ending was fine, and there's no reason to expect the the last episode of TWD will suck. There's plenty of great drama to explore in a character who knows he's doomed. Or to quote, The Lion in Winter:

"My you chivalric fool... as if the way one fell down mattered."
    "When the fall is all there is, it matters."

2. Can we please stop with the ME comparisons? It's bad enough putting up with whiny Bioware fans constantly complaining when I go to forums that are actually about their games. If I start seeing petitions here for Telltale to release a new DLC ending where Lee survives, finds a cure to the zombie plague, and they all live happily ever after, I'm leaving. :rolleyes:

@shedim said: I think it was Rick Grimes who said, "WE are the Walking Dead!"

God, that part made me cringe. The worst line of the whole series. I had no problem catching on to Kirkman's clever double entendre in the title. I didn't really need to have the main character beat me over the head with it like a club.

• It sucks Lee is probably gonna die but I still check PSN daily to see if EP 5 is out lol. I hope finale is twice as long as the rest of them 8). Probably just wishful thinking though.

• the ending to episode 4 wouldnt have bothered me as much if episode 5 would be close by.
    by time i play episode 5 i probably wont care that lee was bit

• If Kenny dies, I WILL fucking cry my eyes out. I'm already crying because I have to tell Clementine I'm bit.

• @Kaydren said: If Kenny dies, I WILL fucking cry my eyes out. I'm already crying because I have to tell Clementine I'm bit.

couldn't have said it better myself

• @cormoran said: Then try responding to the point instead of going off on some pedantic tangent.

I did respond to your point. Come up with a better example to prove your point and I'll give a more thoughtful response.

• @Kaydren said: If Kenny dies, I WILL fucking cry my eyes out. I'm already crying because I have to tell Clementine I'm bit.

I'm worried TT will have him get wounded, and then we have to mercy kill him. That would devastate me almost as much as if Clem died. I would bawl my eyes out if that came to pass, in adition to haveing to tell Clem I'm dying.

• @magodesky said: God, that part made me cringe. The worst line of the whole series. I had no problem catching on to Kirkman's clever double entendre in the title. I didn't really need to have the main character beat me over the head with it like a club.

Walking Dead isn't really known for subtlety. They're literally fighting death.

Really though, I feel that the bite changes nothing aside from a shift in tone. Everyone plays a game anticipating a happy ending. In the few cases where there is not a happy resolution, they're shocked. What's the difference between playing to an inevitable neat wrap up where the princess is saved, Bowser thwarted and no plumbing gets done and an ending where everything dies and the world is a terrible place? Maybe this has nothing to do with inevitability and instead everything to do with certain people hating an unhappy denouement.

• @Master of Aeons said: Walking Dead isn't really known for subtlety. They're literally fighting death.

Really though, I feel that the bite changes nothing aside from a shift in tone. Everyone plays a game anticipating a happy ending. In the few cases where there is not a happy resolution, they're shocked. What's the difference between playing to an inevitable neat wrap up where the princess is saved, Bowser thwarted and no plumbing gets done and an ending where everything dies and the world is a terrible place? Maybe this has nothing to do with inevitability and instead everything to do with certain people hating an unhappy denouement.

I agree with everything you posted, it appears to me a lot of people need clean endings that are all rainbows and cake. I myself got tired of the majority of books and movies that always had nice endings. I love those endings with a twist, not every hero lives in the end....just like real life.

I can't wait for Ep5, until I can play the rest of this journey out I'm in a limbo here. Oh and nice word "denouement"...I had to look that up, first time I ever saw that word in my life.

• As soon as I started playing it in the police car in the first ever episode, I just knew Lee wasn't going to make it. And as for all those people saying he will make it is being stupid, the amputation has been left WAY too late, it would have to of been done immediately after being bitten. I think it's a bad ending too because it was way to predictable. I wasn't too shocked when he was bitten, I was more 'yay yay, I was right!!!' Lol, not really I was just sitting there with the game paused thinking 'crap, what's gonna happen now' I had always realised that Lee being killed off was always a possibility but I didn't really think about what would happen if he did get bitten. But I know what people mean when they say it was a lame ending because to be honest with you I feel the same way.

Add Comment