User Avatar Image

Sam & Max The Movie

posted by StewG on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Hi!
I was just wondering if there ever would be made a Sam & Max movie.

I´m sure Steve Purcell could put something together. That would just be the best thing ever.

If anyone has an idea, please post it, and if not, then find one:p

166 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Zeek said: We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off (though there are debates about how even that movie with their homages are ripping off even older source material).

does that mean that me thinking it looks like the robot from that 80's movie (the name escapes me) is because it is copied from it?

@Zeek said: Could've been worse, pretty sure I heard something about them wanting Max to be a girl.

that's frightening more than anything else.

• @Badwolf said: Could've been worse, pretty sure I heard something about them wanting Max to be a girl.

Thanks for burning the traumatizing image into my brain,Wolf!

• I would only watch a Sam & Max movie if it was released direct to 3.5" floppies for MS-DOS 5.0 and above and was rendered in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. In other words, no, I don't think a Sam & Max movie would be a good idea. Sam & Max has always worked best when developed in an environment where individuals (like Purcell and Grossman) can have more freedom. When S&M entered an atmosphere where there wasn't as much freedom (Network TV) and were more regulations and formalities, they didn't do as well. No offense to fans of the TV show, I just don't think they lived up to their full potential in that field. If a movie were made, I think they'd lose a lot of their spontaneity. Also, who would they gear the movie towards? Fans of the cartoon, or fans of the games and comics?

@Badwolf said: Could've been worse, pretty sure I heard something about them wanting Max to be a girl.

That's correct, so having the Geek be a girl was an excellent call. We can't tell if it would have been better if she were male because she never appeared anywhere else before the TV show as a boy.

• Ha Ha! I wouldnt put it past 'em! They could have also forced him to replace the DeSoto with a Honda or some other pile of junk!

Execs shouldnt tamper with an artists vision.

I didnt see why they added "The Geek" anyway....that character wasnt in any of the comic books and in my opinion was completely unecessary......they should have just added Flint Paper to the show instead! now that would have been something to see!

• "We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off"

You're entitled to your opinion,but Calling Wall-E a "future classic" is a bit of a strech isnt it?

What stands out about that movie??? I didnt see anything clever or original about it.
    to me its just another in a rapid fire sucession of GCI animated films. to be quickly forgotten in the wake of the next.

I think if I had to pick a computer animated film I would have to say "Cars" would be the one I liked best...and even then the story was just the same typical "self discovery" Disney fare....but it did have some very cool cars in it,like Doc Hudson...they actually did their homework and got the history and cars pretty dead on.
    I also like how that movie had an emotional thread that ran through it about "the good old days" and it showed how society degraded as time elapsed.

I gaurantee you 20 years from now Shrek is not going to hold up well..far to many current pop culture jokes that will be meaningless by that time.
    This is just my personal opinion,but I am not a huge computer animation fan,most of the human characters are poorly designed and funny (ugly) looking.(not in a good way)

I admire the talent ,time and effort it took in the past to actually hand draw each frame it took to do traditional animation...the artist was much "closer" to his work.

I think the 50's and 60's were the zenith of our culture.

• "I would only watch a Sam & Max movie if it was released direct to 3.5" floppies for MS-DOS 5.0 and above and was rendered in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. In other words, no, I don't think a Sam & Max movie would be a good idea. Sam & Max has always worked best when developed in an environment where individuals (like Purcell and Grossman) can have more freedom. When S&M entered an atmosphere where there wasn't as much freedom (Network TV) and were more regulations and formalities, they didn't do as well. No offense to fans of the TV show, I just don't think they lived up to their full potential in that field. If a movie were made, I think they'd lose a lot of their spontaneity. Also, who would they gear the movie towards? Fans of the cartoon, or fans of the games and comics?"

I agree!,Steve Purcell needs to be in complete control of his work, The Tv show was alright considering the conditions under which it was made,but it definetly suffered in translation.
    The comic books are brilliant!
    If they did make a movie it should be geared to the fans of the COMICS.since that is Steve Purcells original undilluted vision of the characters.The comics are the "real" Sam & Max"

I fear if they do make a Sam & Max movie they will take a middle of the road approach and water them down....but hey Steve Purcell would never allow that to happen again..... would he?
    The comics are the reason Sam & Max have such a loyal cult following! even bigger than Fritz Nunkie's!!

• The Geek itself was an unnecessary, frivolous character hastily thrown together to allow a younger audience relate to the show; as if two profoundly immature private investigators weren't enough somehow...

• @Zootch said: The Geek itself was an unnecessary, frivolous character hastily thrown together to allow a younger audience relate to the show; as if two profoundly immature private investigators weren't enough somehow...

Actually, it was to appeal to a female audience. Hence why they wanted to make Max a girl.
    Let's get one thing straight: What we got was infinitely preferable to the alternative.

• @TrogLlama said: Actually, it was to appeal to a female audience. Hence why they wanted to make Max a girl.
    Let's get one thing straight: What we got was infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Wow...Feminine Sam & Max?What's next?Cross-Dressing G. I. Joe?

• @TrogLlama said: Actually, it was to appeal to a female audience. Hence why they wanted to make Max a girl.

Well this is coming from a girl, making Max a girl would make the show POO and the geek wasn't at all needed.

Add Comment