146 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • WOW WAIT is this game based on a book ?? Wtf i thought telltale games made the story by them self. What i would do if i was Telltale games just stfu with that guy and made a own story ? and if there's a contract every shit thing on this world has a weakness ?

• @owner070 said: WOW WAIT is this game based on a book ?? Wtf i thought telltale games made the story by them self. What i would do if i was Telltale games just stfu with that guy and made a own story ? and if there's a contract every shit thing on this world has a weakness ?

It's based on a comic book. The problem here is that 1 character contradicts with another version of the character(Lily from the game and Lily from the new book), while both versions are based on the comic Lily.

If it wasn't for Kirkmans whoring out on his franchise we wouldn't have gotten the game in the first place.

• Despite who's right or who's wrong in this situation... For the people who read the book and played the game, which backstory is better?

• It's not the first time Kirkman is being an ass. He thinks he's above the fans. While I agree that the fans shouldn't influence his storytelling, change a great character that people love for no apparent reason is just dumb. You want to fuck up your own universe with paradoxes, Kirkman? Well... it's your series, do whatever you feel. Don't expect us to appreciate it though.

Now to clarify some things. Lilly (Game version) the way she was written is comic book Lilly. She does go to Woodbury and later meet Rick.
    To me personally having a book about a Lilly that contradicts such an amazing character is stupid and wrong.
    I will read the book when I have the time and I will decide which version I would prefer to set as my own canon. Still, in my opinion Lilly (Game version) is such an amazing character and putting HER in a book would enrich and develop her even further. It is just sad that Kirkman lost the opportunity with this character for reasons he doesn't care to explain.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@YamiRaziel said: I will read the book when I have the time and I will decide which version I would prefer to set as my own canon.

That is the only thing that can be done anyway. The reader's universe, the reader's rules.

• @Nintendo Boy1 said: Despite who's right or who's wrong in this situation... For the people who read the book and played the game, which backstory is better?

The book had rather one dimensional characters. It was simply Meh. In fact the more I go into it, the more it seems that the game and the show are the only two mediums where the characters are MORE than one dimensional.

Also, in Kirkman's universe it is apparently impossible for any group of people to work together for any length of time, which strikes me as a little over-done, but definitely reveals that Kirkman has created his own formula for his particular zombie apocalypse universe and he uses it in all things.

Fact of the matter is, if anyone has read a "series" of books, you will see issues like this crop up, and it is clear that Kirkman really doesn't care about consistency across the mediums. It seems like his ONLY goal is to use the different mediums to get as many people interested as possible, but changes things up just enough so that those people will then feel like they have to play the game/read the comics/read the books/watch the show to get the complete story and also to see the changes across each medium.

He would be better served by making each medium have it's own group with only very small and minor tie ins, but whatever.

Many, Many people who author a series like this end up pissing off the fans at some point for $$$, and only a few ever really pay the price.

• Yeah but it doesn't make sense. If he want us to use all the different mediums in order to understand the complete story, then making the game Lilly, the book Lilly would be the logical way to go. This way everybody who was at least intrigued by the character would have a reason to buy and read the book. It also works vice verse. You see the character in the comic book, you hear there is a book, you read it and it's good, but you hear that there is even more to it. Then you buy the game to experience the full ingenuity of the connections between the different mediums.

The only reason to go against that would be if he didn't wanted to force his readers to become gamers too. Not everybody is a gamer, although The Walking Dead is not a hard game even for beginners.

I don't mind keeping the universes separate but when you've already stated that they share the same universe... well, it is a kinda of a let down. Especially when TT provides such a masterful storytelling, going against it is a very, very idiotic idea, storywise.

• @YamiRaziel said: Yeah but it doesn't make sense. If he want us to use all the different mediums in order to understand the complete story, then making the game Lilly, the book Lilly would be the logical way to go. This way everybody who was at least intrigued by the character would have a reason to buy and read the book. It also works vice verse. You see the character in the comic book, you hear there is a book, you read it and it's good, but you hear that there is even more to it. Then you buy the game to experience the full ingenuity of the connections between the different mediums.

The only reason to go against that would be if he didn't wanted to force his readers to become gamers too. Not everybody is a gamer, although The Walking Dead is not a hard game even for beginners.

I don't mind keeping the universes separate but when you've already stated that they share the same universe... well, it is a kinda of a let down. Especially when TT provides such a masterful storytelling, going against it is a very, very idiotic idea, storywise.

It doesn't make sense and either he is limited in his thought processes or he doesn't care. Based on his formula for the Walking Dead I tend to believe that Kirkman is rather limited in his thought processes and creativity...

I really think he should have focused on separate groups for each medium. There was no excuse not to other than it might have been a little extra work to do so or he is unable to.

• @Nintendo Boy1 said: Despite who's right or who's wrong in this situation... For the people who read the book and played the game, which backstory is better?

The game has more well rounded characters. The book's back story is really one dimensional on many levels and not well thought out. Fact of the matter is Lily as she was in the book would have died in the first few hours of the Turn and there would be no Lily. From a psychology profile standpoint, that's just the way it would be for someone like Lily (from the book).

• The novel is the only back story we can accept.

The game can never be the back story because of the "tailored" experience. For example, people would never be able to agree if Lee helped kill her father or not.

The novel is stable.

Add Comment