User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ryannumber1gamer said: No i mean a live action show based on Luke as a teenager as he balances his farm life with a dancing/singing/something else secret.

jxmYw.png

You're a bad man.

• Lets all watch the Star Wars Kinect ep of Jonton now!

• Hmm maybe the chances of LucasArts game going to a place like GOG are slightly improved?

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@inm8#2 said: Hmm maybe the chances of LucasArts game going to a place like GOG are slightly improved?

Or dashed completely. No one quite knows what Disney is going to do with those IPs yet.

I'm going to try to stay optimistic that they hopefully won't treat them any worse than LucasArts did.

• You never know. Maybe TTG will ask them to let them use some of the Lucasarts games like Monkey Island, Indiana Jones & maybe they might let them have S&M Freelance Police but that would be very very unlikely.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: Well, we all know what's coming.....a Disney Channel show.

Probably Season 6 of Clone Wars.

Sadly, this also means no more 20th Century Fox music for these new Star Wars movies and no neat transitions from the Paramount mountain for Indiana Jones.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: No i mean a live action show based on Luke as a teenager as he balances his farm life with a dancing/singing/something else secret.

Fortunately, Disney/Marvel's big rivals have already had a television show like that.

But I think everybody's missing the BIG picture.....

THE STARS OF STAR WARS CAN RETURN TO THE MUPPET SHOW!!!!!

• I saw a thread like this on the Batman forums lol

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I know you guys don't like Kotaku, but they did mention one thing about this story that I found particularly heartening:
    [Quote=Kotaku]In a conference call this afternoon, Disney’s Bob Iger said they will be focusing on social and mobile games and will likely license their IPs for console gaming—meaning you’ll see other studios making Star Wars games (as has happened a few times already, like with BioWare’s MMORPG The Old Republic).[/Quote]Make of that what you will, but it does leave me a little more hopeful for more Monkey Island et al.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I'd be surprised if they don't license the games out when asked by reliable, established studios. The deal cost them over $4,000,000,000 US dollars. Surely they won't mind getting some of that cash back through licensing deals.

Another thing I'm wondering, since it seems they're planning to use LucasArts as a development studio with the statement that they plan to make mobile and social games... I wonder if they'll keep the LucasArts staff to making Star Wars games, or if we might see some LucasArts developed Disney or Disney-Pixar projects as well.

Add Comment